Multiplayer on 7 Days to Die

Started by Swatter, August 30, 2015, 02:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Rekim

Here's the fort I setup for my next horde. I use the window to access my hideout in the attic. The front door/main floor is one giant spike maze, reinforced to the max as I welcome the zeds to come  spend the night playing hide and seek with me.



I stayed up head explodingly late awaiting the day-56, however, it didn't make an appearance : (   The boss came down at 6:20am to ask wtf I was doing up still...right as the horde should have arrived of course.

The town I'm camping out in is just about tapped. Trying to find my next hunting grounds. Would like to find a city to build a big assed fort next to. Still need to discover the secret to making concrete mind you. This about 2 Km north of where I saw Bison & Bud last night.


JasonPratt

#181
Dad had a small heart attack last night, so my time in-game will be spotty(er than usual) for a while.  :-\ He's stable and doing well, but the cardio doc wants to do a cath on him tomorrow sometime while he's in position to reconnoiter how things are going. (Personally I think they ought to check Dad's pacemaker/defib for vegetation, which was a near fatal problem for the last time he had one. If he's going to have that again, and there are small indications in that direction, we ought to be prepared.)


Meanwhile, last... night I think? (Time's been a bit loopy the past day in real-life. ;) ) I dropped into Casa Del Aztank briefly to see how things were going, and found myself on the mid-afternoon of the 49-day horde. My plan almost kind of worked.


Step 1.) Run out and chop a bunch of wood and start simultaneously making a bunch of log-spikes to upgrade the cheaper models. This led to the necessity of a new...

Step 2.) ...run back and forge some iron quickly to repair my fire axe. Which was delayed a little when I discovered the front door had been totally abandoned and bricked up. But I got that done.

Step 3.) Was going to be what is now step 4, except a minor horde wandered over the ridge from the southwest and I had to wait a while until they died on the stakes. Then I got too clever jumping down from the ersatz framework staircase, without plopping a proper frame (which I already had built and was already ready to go) to fill the hole, and fell on some stakes and died. Fortunately my bedroll remained only a few yards away, so I could get my toolbelt back quickly, but it still lost precious seconds. This will be important soon.

Step 4.) Worked my way around the west and south sides of the house, since by evidence of blood on the spikes they had seen the most action since (and during) the previous 7 day horde(s), axing down the bloody spikes I could reach and replacing them with log spikes which can be not only repaired but upgraded later.

Step 5.) Run back inside AT's main remaining door(s) to safety.

I waited literally 2 seconds too long to do step 5, and at 22:00 hours a swarm of zombie dogs promptly ran out of the forest down from the south ridge. I got past the first door and closed it barely in time to prevent more damage to me than a few nips; then got past the second door and closed it barely in time to prevent more than some more damaging nips as the things leapt around the first door. (The staircase outside hadn't been walled in because it's handy to open the door and step around on the first roof a little to check the ground.)

So with 16 health remaining, and the sounds of a 49-day thoroughly aggro'd horde already encroaching, I quit the server for the night like a scared little coward.  :2funny: Hope your house is still standing, AT!  >:D O0

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 31, 2015, 03:25:57 PM
Quote from: bbmike on December 31, 2015, 11:45:05 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on December 31, 2015, 11:03:18 AM
So, it sounds like you guys are really liking this game, even in Alpha build.  I see a number of people on Steam not being impressed.  They think the latest build has taken steps back and not seeing any progress.  But it is on sale now and it sounds like from reading here that you guys would recommend jumping in.

Is this basically Mine Craft set in a zombie world with better graphics.

I don't really get the "taken steps back" comments on Steam. And as far as Alpha status, this game (to me) has never felt like it's Alpha status. The only time it does it when a new update comes along and breaks all of my saves. So, +1 to what Bison said above.

+1, the game really feels complete as it is.

All agreed. Um, Minecraft does have crawly things at night which swarm out, doesn't it? Basically zombies and variants? 7DtD doesn't have the wild extensiveness of MC, but it's only been out a year. Also, digging is a lot harder per se.

As I mentioned on the Steam review I gave it recently, it's only an Alpha technically because there are originally planned features which haven't been implemented yet. It's really more like a very late Beta with free subsequent DLC being occasionally released.


AT, I agree now that I've heard about them. They should be an option at least.


Quote from: bbmike on December 31, 2015, 10:16:59 AM
Maybe I'll post a picture of my fort- a rock I dug a hole under.  :2funny:

As long as it's well-lit (to prevent opportunistic zombie darkspawns), and has a system of escape hatches, I'm pretty sure an underhole is the best approach. Just hard to dig. But if you start early, and dig a little farther every day with some increasingly better tools...!

I'm seriously considering starting a hobbit tunnel under that steep ridge back of AT's house.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Jason, sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he is okay.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Hope yer dad fares better than you lot in this game. Thoughts with you Jason. O0

Rekim

yes, best of luck to your dad Jason

Bison

Pray your dad makes a quick and full recovery.

JasonPratt

Thanks; he's enjoying New Year football from his hospital bed -- actually a good thing for him as it never seems to mess with his psiatic nerve.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Barthheart on December 31, 2015, 09:50:38 PM
Hope yer dad fares better than you lot in this game. Thoughts with you Jason. O0

Or in that... y'know... OTHER GAME!

That we're playing.

Sometimes.

>:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

OJsDad

If your dad's having his procedure today JP, hope all goes well.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: OJsDad on January 01, 2016, 01:00:27 PM
If your dad's having his procedure today JP, hope all goes well.

+1, hope all goes really well.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

They're waiting for tests to decide whether to keep him a little longer for a cath, or send him home (for a cath later probably).

I'm in the hospital room right now, watching the Tennessee vs Northwestern Outback Bowl. Vols are walking away from NW, which historically this year means NW will probably lose (all their losses have been big ones; their crucial wins have all been close).

Of course, for the past several decades UT's chief weakness has been our rather prima dona psychology: if we think we ought to win, we fall apart encountering any serious resistance. (Our secondary is traditionally weak, too, but NW doesn't have a long throwing game so I'm not worried about that.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, I was able to get on last night, for a bit of preliminary scouting toward the Central City which is in a cold zone and so largely untapped. In fact I don't think any of the area west of it has been slightly explored, and only a little north of it (including me by accident during a random spawn much earlier).

Spruced up Casa Del Aztank a little, and dug a preliminary tunnel system out back, where with a lucky hunting expedition I was able to camp out during the 63 day horde. My only problem was a couple of ferals (I think) that fell down the gap in front of my door, and then attacked it for a while out of principle until they got bored and wandered off. (I repaired it long distance.)

Depending on where things are when I log back in later today (not enough bandwidth at the hospital to try), I'll either be adding some brick walls around the cut to minimize zombies accidentally falling in next to the door, or (once any nearby horde-sabbath has passed) plotting a new base close to the central city where I can retreat if the cold gets too problematic. Oddly, I've read the leather book so I can make leather and a few leather things and do some repairs, but I can't make most leather items yet. Still, my clothes and cloth armors are decent enough to last a lot longer in the cold than before.

The other players are busy looting and basing at more temperate towns and cities meanwhile. ;) Which is just as well, since spreading out our activity helps reduce sabbath horde attack intensities (and nightly incursions). Even so, I've seen a definite uptick in wandering mini-hordes.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Jason i hope your father comes through everything with flying colors.

Meanwhile at Casa Del La Budd......we have achieved the mini bike :-] If you find the time to make to my abode i'll build you one, there pretty cool. I've moved my base back to the pharmacy and just about have the parts for another bike. i made Arizona one with a shopping basket so you can carry 25 squares worth of stuff. Helps for maximum looting ;D When i logged in last time at my temp base in the new town a horde was breaking through my door right when i spawned. I should of ran like a little school girl, but no i stood my ground...and died rapidly...they just poured through the door, dogs included, bastards. I need a machine gun, i have a shotgun[worthless], hunting rifle and pistol, need an AK or sub machine gun. Next time i'm pipe bombing there ass.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

Budd, supposedly I can build AK-47s now if I have the parts, so if you get some parts let me know.

Dad's back home and seems flying in colors. ;)


Spent all tonight after I got home scouting a halfway hole between Casa Del Aztank and the central city. I may have been over ambitious, though: I built a small fort around the hole, and then built a log tower as high as I could reach (with some frames providing a temporary staircase with two torches planted up high to help me and others find it at night.

Around 10pm, a horde with dogs and I think maybe ferals promptly found my fort, broke through the door, and then dug through the snow around my reinforced hatch to plop a ton of undead bodies on me. Instant zombie pit of death. Fortunately I had put all my truly useful things in the pack. I made it back to AzTank's house without a problem (after the respawn -- I had put down a new bag in the hole), and ensconced myself there for the night.

I'm not entirely sure what to do, but I've decided to start by taking down the giant torchpole, see if that helps. ;) Maybe tunnel farther under the snow horizontally (I can't easily go down vertically any farther, as I've hit dirt -- although then again that might be best, and my stone shovel is pretty good now.) At the very least I should consider making a secondary escape hatch.

Needless to say, I haven't gotten to the process of looting Central City yet.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

next time i catch you online i'll hook you up with a minibike, i believe i have all the parts, except a shopping basket. If you see one [there usually in a bookstore, shamway or the shotgun store] grab one, there the empty ones, you can pick those up.

Glad to hear about your father, good news.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.