Main Menu

Tigers on the Hunt

Started by BlackJaguar, December 02, 2015, 06:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RyanE

The multi-story thing bugs me a little.  In any semi-urban area, that height advantage can be a difference maker.  I always remember BFC trying to rationalize the lack of enterable buildings in Theater of War.  It kind of reminds me of that.

With that said, once I am over the nostalgia rush of it looking like ASL.  I remember why games like Steel Panthers turned me off with the turn-based gaminess with weird fire and movement happenings.

Redirected

This game REALLY needs a demo
You will notice I didn't respond to your post and have no interest in what you have to say. Especially on this subject.
....You have made 73 posts since you joined and 72 of them have been about combat mission. -ZULU1966

MikeGER

Quote from: Redirected on January 09, 2016, 07:24:41 PM
This game REALLY needs a demo

short before the release Slitherine often likes to show a 1 hour introduction with playthrouh on their Twitch channel
I hope this will be the case with TotH too
(the broadcast stays accessible as a replay at Twitch for some time, and a day or two later usually show up at YT too for those who miss the live feed)

Barthheart

Quote from: Cyrano on January 09, 2016, 02:49:07 PM
....
1:  I don't understand why you've bothered to try and do graphic counters.  They're unnecessary in a game of this type -- I don't like them at ALL in Tiller's Panzer Battles -- and I've not seen a hint of NATO.  Frankly, I've come to find graphic counter design on the PC to be chimerical, but that's another conversation.
....

This must be yer Jack and Schnapps talking here. What squad level board game uses NATO icons? None that I can think of. So why would you expect a squad level PC game that's based on a board game to have NATO icons?  ???

I do agree with Doug a bit on the look of the graphics but the only thing that really gets to me is the non-top down, non-rotating vehicles.....

I'll still probably pick this up in the first week though... depending on the price....

panzerde

Quote from: Barthheart on January 10, 2016, 07:04:22 AM
I do agree with Doug a bit on the look of the graphics but the only thing that really gets to me is the non-top down, non-rotating vehicles.....

I'll still probably pick this up in the first week though... depending on the price....

Top down vehicles, even if they didn't rotate their turrets, would be an improvement. I see on the Matrix forums where Ritchie61 has done some nice modding, but the mod depends on ASL graphics. That's cool if it's your choice to make the game look like ASL, but I sure with the game had it's own distinctive look beyond the really unfortunate graphics it has.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Richie61

#65
I did a pre release SL/ ASL mod. It's really easy to make mods and people with more skills than I can do lots of different images. I did these since the game was inspired by ASL and it reminds me of pushing
counters around my Squad Leader boards in 1979  ;D

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

KyzBP

Ritchie's ASL mod alone tempts me.

Sir Slash

You're making me HOTTER!!!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Strela

Quote from: Cyrano on January 09, 2016, 02:49:07 PM
Two thoughts, both of which stun me as I write them as this is the sort of a game that, like Doug, I should be purchasing day one...

1:  I don't understand why you've bothered to try and do graphic counters.  They're unnecessary in a game of this type -- I don't like them at ALL in Tiller's Panzer Battles -- and I've not seen a hint of NATO.  Frankly, I've come to find graphic counter design on the PC to be chimerical, but that's another conversation.


Hi Cyrano,

You realise there are three choices of counter sets in Panzer battles, switchable on the fly and can be configured differently at each zoom level?? Check under the Settings menu, because there is a hint of Nato there...!!!

David




Zulu1966

#69
Quote from: Barthheart on January 10, 2016, 07:04:22 AM
Quote from: Cyrano on January 09, 2016, 02:49:07 PM
....
1:  I don't understand why you've bothered to try and do graphic counters.  They're unnecessary in a game of this type -- I don't like them at ALL in Tiller's Panzer Battles -- and I've not seen a hint of NATO.  Frankly, I've come to find graphic counter design on the PC to be chimerical, but that's another conversation.
....

This must be yer Jack and Schnapps talking here. What squad level board game uses NATO icons? None that I can think of. So why would you expect a squad level PC game that's based on a board game to have NATO icons?  ???

I do agree with Doug a bit on the look of the graphics but the only thing that really gets to me is the non-top down, non-rotating vehicles.....

I'll still probably pick this up in the first week though... depending on the price....

Agree with this. Personally think Nato icons would be out of place at this scale. I don't really have an issue with the graphics - I think they look ok. Top down would only interest me if they reflected the actual facing of the vehicle or weapon as Barthheart says.

A Bigger stopper for me is the lack of hexside terrain and multi storey buildings - but prepared to wait and see whether that abstraction takes away from the game too much.

When it comes to tactical combat my biggest hurdle is there has to be a reason I would play it over combat mission - which as far as immersion, tactical fidelity etc is in a league of its own.

Even so - this may be one of those buys to fund future development games.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

jomni

#70
Quote from: Strela on January 11, 2016, 01:22:56 AM
Quote from: Cyrano on January 09, 2016, 02:49:07 PM
Two thoughts, both of which stun me as I write them as this is the sort of a game that, like Doug, I should be purchasing day one...

1:  I don't understand why you've bothered to try and do graphic counters.  They're unnecessary in a game of this type -- I don't like them at ALL in Tiller's Panzer Battles -- and I've not seen a hint of NATO.  Frankly, I've come to find graphic counter design on the PC to be chimerical, but that's another conversation.


Hi Cyrano,

You realise there are three choices of counter sets in Panzer battles, switchable on the fly and can be configured differently at each zoom level?? Check under the Settings menu, because there is a hint of Nato there...!!!

David


Panzer Battles is not squad-level.  A unit is a platoon.
Nevertheless, here are the Squad Battles NATO symbols.  Actually symbols for sections and squads.  Doesn't really do anything fancy.  I prefer the portraits.


Strela

Hi Jomni,

I wasn't so much commenting on Panzer Battles being squad level, but rather ensuring Cyrano knows there are options to the graphics displayed in game. He specifically called out the portraits in Normandy as not being to his liking and I wanted to handle that.

I have my own thread and don't want to hijack this one!   ;)

David

Bardolph

#72
Quote from: Barthheart on January 10, 2016, 07:04:22 AM
Quote from: Cyrano on January 09, 2016, 02:49:07 PM
....
1:  I don't understand why you've bothered to try and do graphic counters.  They're unnecessary in a game of this type -- I don't like them at ALL in Tiller's Panzer Battles -- and I've not seen a hint of NATO.  Frankly, I've come to find graphic counter design on the PC to be chimerical, but that's another conversation.
....

This must be yer Jack and Schnapps talking here. What squad level board game uses NATO icons? None that I can think of. So why would you expect a squad level PC game that's based on a board game to have NATO icons?  ???



Grunt                        SPI
Search and Destroy   SPI
Tobruk                     Avalon Hill
Air Cav                     West End

Air Cav is the only one since Squad Leader that I can think of. Doesn't mean NATO icons are bad as much as it means everyone wants to be like Squad Leader. ;)


Barthheart

Quote from: Bardolph on January 11, 2016, 03:11:43 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on January 10, 2016, 07:04:22 AM
Quote from: Cyrano on January 09, 2016, 02:49:07 PM
....
1:  I don't understand why you've bothered to try and do graphic counters.  They're unnecessary in a game of this type -- I don't like them at ALL in Tiller's Panzer Battles -- and I've not seen a hint of NATO.  Frankly, I've come to find graphic counter design on the PC to be chimerical, but that's another conversation.
....

This must be yer Jack and Schnapps talking here. What squad level board game uses NATO icons? None that I can think of. So why would you expect a squad level PC game that's based on a board game to have NATO icons?  ???



Grunt                        SPI
Search and Destroy   SPI
Tobruk                     Avalon Hill
Air Cav                     West End

Air Cav is the only one since Squad Leader that I can think of. Doesn't mean NATO icons are bad as much as it means everyone wants to be like Squad Leader. ;)

Thanks for that. I've never played nor seen any of those..... will have to look them up.

Cyrano

I love you guys so awfully much...in a completely manly, oh Lord NOW we're drunk kind of way...

@Barth:  I wasn't the one singing the praises of the Red Dragon or whatever the Hell else they called that thing.  Not saying I'm certain it was you, but it certainly wasn't me.  Others have already heaped opprobrium on your permafrosted head re: no NATO symbols in squad level games.

@Strela:  Yep, those NATO counters are the only way I can play this game I have come to love so very much.  I was only remarking that for me at least the other stuff was wasted effort.  In this regard one need only see the very interesting, to me at least, debate over at the CS:ME threads re: 2D versus 3D units.

...and the lack of MP remains difficult for me to comprehend.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806