So...Lords of the Realm...

Started by BanzaiCat, January 14, 2016, 02:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

Specifically, LotR I, II, and III. And maybe Lords of Magic.

I've seen a lot of references to LotR II on the boards through a quick search. Steam just released it's sale list for the weekend and LotR I is .99, II is 1.49, and III is 2.49. Magic is 2.49. All four can be had together for 6.49.

Like I need more games, but it seems I and II are well received with III being a bit mixed. Any opinions of any of the games in this series? I know, six bucks isn't a lot, but I want something with some replayability. I'm getting tired of spending a few dollars here and there on titles that I screw around with for 30 minutes to an hour and am done.



eyebiter

Recall Lords of the Realm 2 had the best ratings. 

Video review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7uKMEucNoA

Anguille

Lords of the realm I & II are the classic game with the turn-based strategy map (with the seasons you find in the Total War games later on). I've mostly played the second-one and had lots of fun with it. You manage production of weapons, food etc....

Even if really dated now, i'd recommend the second one (Lords of the Realm II)

As for Lords of the Realm 3, it's not a bad game but it's very different. It's an RTS game you play mostly at strategic level (France, Germany and so forth) with rts battles. It plays comptetely differentely but it's a good challenge.

Queeg

I actually got Lords of the Realm II from GOG recently and can recommend it.  The battles are definitely dated, but the campaign game holds up really well.  It's a nice reminder of a time (before Paradox) when game design revolved more around thoughtful abstractions than detailed spreadsheets.   

BanzaiCat

I was leaning towards II from what I've seen on the store pages and the reviews of all the games. I think I might pick up II and let the others lie for the moment.

Thanks all!

Martok

Yeah, I definitely recommend Lords of the Realm II as well.  I liked it so much that even though I already owned it on disk (I even still have the original box & manual!), I went ahead and re-purchased it on GOG as well. 

That game was such a huge time sink for me (we're talking 1000+ hours here), and even though I don't play it nearly as often these days, it remains one of my favorite games of all time.  A fun little medieval strategy title with decent replayability.  O0 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces