Main Menu

Fear Equation

Started by tgb, January 19, 2016, 07:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb

Screwfly Studios is a 2-person team (based in Aussieland, I think) whose previous releases were Zafehouse Diaries, which I really, really, liked a lot, and Dreadnaughts, which I didn't mostly due to the real time nature.  Now they've combined the best parts of both into Fear Equation.  This is a game so unique, with a convoluted backstory that I couldn't even do justice to, so you're better off reading it on the Steam page.  If you just want the Readers' Digest version:

QuoteFear Equation is a turn-based horror strategy game where you play the engineer of a modified freight train, built to protect its occupants from a deadly fog that brings their nightmares to life. Survival depends on analyzing passengers' dreams, crafting defenses, upgrading train componenetns, scavenging and resource management.

They forgot to mention that the passengers eventually split into four factions that you have to keep happy.  One successful revolt and it's Game Over.

It all sounds very convoluted and as if there are a lot of balls to keep in the air, but the interface makes it pretty easy.  Everything is done from one of 3 stations, and each has it's own extensive manual that can be accessed at any time. There's also an extensive tutorial.

I've just scratched the surface so far, but it's entertaining, original, and on sale for $11 (even if the web page shows full price).  It's on GOG, too.

Huw the Poo

Yeah after Zafehouse Diaries and Deadnaut I definitely count myself as a fan of Screwfly.  As soon as the Linux version of Fear Equation is ready I'll be diving straight in.  O0

JasonPratt

Wishlisted.

What's extra great, is that THIS ISN'T EARLY ACCESS!!  O0 :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!