Main Menu

The Viceroy

Started by solops, January 23, 2016, 01:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

solops

I recently spotted a game called "The Viceroy" on Steam that intrigues me. Does anyone know anything about it? Supposedly there is an update and sale on the way in Q1 2016.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

tgb

Quote from: solops on January 23, 2016, 01:44:59 PM
I recently spotted a game called "The Viceroy" on Steam that intrigues me. Does anyone know anything about it? Supposedly there is an update and sale on the way in Q1 2016.

I bought it at release.  It's not your typical 4X, but instead you play a bureaucrat brought in to restore equilibrium in the galaxy.  You do this by enacting different pieces of legislation.

The ineffective interface, insane levels of micromanagement, and unclear documentation made it an exercise in tedium.  I wonder that changes the patch will bring.

solops

Well, not what I was hoping to hear. It is up to v1.8. Where was it when you played? They may have made substantial improvements already. The idea looks pretty good from the website.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

jomni

I thought it's about the British empire.  So I'll pass.

Martok

There was a thread about this game in the Explorminate forums.  I seem to recall the general consensus was that the game had some neat ideas, but failed pretty hard in the execution. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

tgb

#5
Quote from: solops on January 23, 2016, 05:51:15 PM
Well, not what I was hoping to hear. It is up to v1.8. Where was it when you played? They may have made substantial improvements already. The idea looks pretty good from the website.

I played for a week or two right after release and haven't touched it since.  It may very well be worth taking a second look.

[edit] OK. Looking at the Steam forums it appears some positive changes have been made, but quite enough.  I will be keeping an eye on the upcoming mega-patch, however.