Main Menu

Tigers on the Hunt

Started by BlackJaguar, December 02, 2015, 06:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BlackJaguar

#75
Quote from: Redirected on January 09, 2016, 07:24:41 PM
This game REALLY needs a demo

Sorry there won't be a demo as I don't have the time to create one, however the scenario designer is right now working on a few tutorial videos that will explain the game functionality as well as sample gameplay. The videos should be available soon...if someone plays ASL, they should feel right at home pretty quick.

Asid

Tutorial Video

In this first Tutorial you will discover the basics of infantry movement and fire, featuring assaults with Officers charging you main attack, flamethrowers units, combat engineers with satchel charges, line of fire and more!



Published on 25 Jan 2016

Welcome to the first video tutorial of Tigers on the Hunt!
Get more information about the game from its official product page: http://bit.ly/1KzbhfR

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC, and its goal is to simulate with a level of realism barely seen before the tactical combat between ground units during the Second World Conflict.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player's maneuvers. Players can enjoy massive battles across up to 12 connected geomorphic maps with over 200 Infantry units, 100 Support Weapons, 100 Ordnance pieces and 50 Vehicles per side.
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Cougar_DK

Ok video, but the click to select a hex and then clicking again to select which unit in the hex is extremely cluncky in my book. A lot of mouse movement just to do a basic thing in the game... And the mortar is even more clunky, you have to move the mouse again and do a third click.

A better way could be that everything in the hex is per default selected, or popup a menu where you mouse pointer is, so that you don't have to move it around. Just my observations... I my world the panzer campaign games from hps has the same problem, way to much cliking to do simple tasks...
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

spelk

Ideally for unit selection, you want to be able to do it, within the space of the hex you're working with. Using combinations of keys and clicks or with more sophisticated programming/UI development with pop-ups/radials etc. Having to move the mouse from the hex you're currently processing and into a hierarchical listbox, selecting nodes, and Ctrl+selecting nodes, takes you away from the action mentally, but forces you to move the mouse off the hex and map you're interested in. Then you have to pull the mouse back up to the associated Hex you want to fire at. That is a lot of distractive mouse busy work, for what is essentially calling in a fire operation.

Presumably there is a stacking limit in a hex? If you have 3 or more units and you want them to fire on different targets, the amount of up and down, and fiddly picking a textual name out of a node list to return to the map to locate the target Hex is considerable. There has to be an easier way ergonomically. How about left clicking on the Hex repeatedly cycles through the units and brings the one you're highlighting to the top? The one at the top is the one you will fire with? As long as there is a stacking limit that isn't silly numbers this would be more acceptable from a UI point of view.

gameleaper

#79
what supprised me was how much like my infantry game mecanics are, so it suggests to me that TotH is done because of the programming problem to solve, My game also moves one hex at a time, it also has to result log window, it also left click hex then bottom left select what chits to fire,My game is also phased, the big diff between my game seems I can select what chits in a hex to fire at, NOT just fire at the whole hex, of course I'm not suggesting my game is anything near as good as TotH, my point is both games have similar control. I think vassal does it correctly.

BlackJaguar

#80
It's easy to say that interface could be improved, yes it could of course; if you look at other tactical wargames like say Squad Battles, Pz Command it's easy to overlook the fact that these games only have few units (and the personnel within those units shirt, the unit itself never breaks down into sub units), weapons in a hex. In Tigers on the Hunt, like in ASL; you can have 6 Half-Squads + 6 support weapons, 4 Leaders + 4 support weapons and a Vehicle = 21 objects, never mind the fact that you can also have un-possesed support weapons + ordnance in the same hex, that's just one side. When you have Close Combat segment, the other side can have as well many units and weapons so you can possibly end up with 45+ objects all in the same hex. I can't think of any easy to use control, that would allow you to see all the objects in any meaningful way - without using a grid or tree control. The game code needs to account for all the objects you can have in a hex...otherwise the game will crash. Also in terms of the way interface works to move a unit or to fire with a unit/weapon.

There is a lot of game functionality validation going on behind the interface when the user selects an object and the game provides information to the user what can be done with that selected object (unit/weapon). So the game provides feedback to the user right away, rather then allowing the user to pre-select whole bunch of stuff and only provide message to the user once the user clicks on something on the map to resolve the action.

There is a reason why ASL was never converted to computer, the system is too complex/too expensive from development perspective to port it over properly to computer and for what 5000 copies sold ? I was crazy enough to be inspired by ASL to write my own game. Thinking about how long it took me to get it done now, I'm not sure I would have started it 10 years ago.

panzerde

I'm still not sure it's my cup of tea, but I can tell there's been a lot of hard work on the game. I also think you're going to see a lot of success with it just because it is the nearest thing to computer ASL available. It's obvious from the feedback here and at Matrix that there are a lot of people that want that.


The UI and graphics remind me of the SSG games of a decade or more ago. Those games are certainly playable even today. Someone sufficiently interested in the period and the game system is going to be very willing to overlook UI flaws to play. I suspect this will do well once released.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

BlackJaguar

#82
Quote from: panzerde on January 26, 2016, 06:18:56 PM
I'm still not sure it's my cup of tea, but I can tell there's been a lot of hard work on the game. I also think you're going to see a lot of success with it just because it is the nearest thing to computer ASL available. It's obvious from the feedback here and at Matrix that there are a lot of people that want that.

I  can completely understand that, I'm not expecting everyone to like the game. That is something very difficult to do, so instead I wrote a game that I wanted to play and I'm just sharing it with the world....as simple as that, nothing more and nothing less. One thing is certain, I put my heart and soul into the game to make sure the game was polished from functionality perspective (including AI) and relatively bug free.

Quote from: panzerde on January 26, 2016, 06:18:56 PM
The UI and graphics remind me of the SSG games of a decade or more ago. Those games are certainly playable even today. Someone sufficiently interested in the period and the game system is going to be very willing to overlook UI flaws to play. I suspect this will do well once released.

I think, once people play with the interface for a bit they will get used to it very quickly...based on my experience with private test group over the years as well as beta testers. I'm of course aware that not every one will like it, that's a given :)

savatee

I think this game has a ton of potential. Guys, we should really support this game, in my opinion. I will be buying on Day One. The tutorial video was very interesting. As for the UI, I don't see any problem with a couple of clicks more. This game has a future and I congratulate the team for this extraordinary effort.

acctingman

Also, isn't this game mod friendly? That will only help.

Asid

This has been a labour of love for the developer, BlackJaguar, endeavours like this deserve some support.  O0

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Richie61

I am on the beta team and at first I disliked the UI and clicking this or that. But after a very short time I was doing it without thinking about what to do. That is huge for me. Not proud of it, but I am the type of person that opens a game and starts playing it without reading the manual. After a few games it was like pushing AH counters around in the summer of 1977  :D

Beta wise, Peter's first build that we received was good. I didn't have a single crash or lockup the whole time. There were bugs, but they were small and Peter fixed them in a day most times. We didn't have any bugs that lasted long or stopped testing. I was very impressed with this beta testing :)

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

gameleaper

BJ does it have Hotseat? I love these sort of games, you cant do no wrong with it!

BlackJaguar

Quote from: gameleaper on January 26, 2016, 11:45:11 PM
BJ does it have Hotseat? I love these sort of games, you cant do no wrong with it!

Yes

gameleaper

thx BJ, hotseat is important to me as I can play both sides with equal skill, thanks for adding hotseat