Sentinels Of The Multiverse

Started by Nefaro, December 22, 2014, 10:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 16, 2015, 04:19:52 PM
So, those of you that own this think it has plenty of replayability?


It has tons of replayability.  With all the villains and heroes plus different abilities and locations with random card draws, it is a great title and as much fun as the card game imho.

PE

tgb

None of my friends are board or war gamers (they all prefer things like Bridge and Whist), and I'm usually a sucker for digital board/CC games, but this left me cold for some reason.  I played a couple of games and never came back.

Nefaro

The Infernal Relics expansion just came out for the PC/Steam version.


Nefaro

#49
They just added multi-player to the PC version of SotM.


Also a sale on it this weekend..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/337150/

Nefaro

Shattered Timelines expansion was just added to one of the most fun solitaire/co-op card games around.  :)

Before long, they're going to surpass all the real tabletop expansions I have.

BanzaiCat

I'll try SotM sometime again soon...got it over the Steam Winter Sale, played it for about an hour. That whole hour was devoted to that first battle/tutorial, which just went on and on and on. The damn bad guy kept healing himself and deploying that f'ing fortress of his, as well as chipping away at my heroes, so I could never 'get ahead' - it was an exercise in both futility and frustration. I thought the first battle as a tutorial should be relatively easy and not a pain in the ass. Either that or I just suck, but I pretty much followed the strategies the tutorial laid out for me, and still got my ass kicked.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 28, 2016, 06:34:09 AM
I'll try SotM sometime again soon...got it over the Steam Winter Sale, played it for about an hour. That whole hour was devoted to that first battle/tutorial, which just went on and on and on. The damn bad guy kept healing himself and deploying that f'ing fortress of his, as well as chipping away at my heroes, so I could never 'get ahead' - it was an exercise in both futility and frustration. I thought the first battle as a tutorial should be relatively easy and not a pain in the ass. Either that or I just suck, but I pretty much followed the strategies the tutorial laid out for me, and still got my ass kicked.

I don't recall how the tutorial went. 

Being a co-op tabletop game means most games will be challenging.  I don't think SotM is as bad as some others, but it'll usually push you down to the wire at the least. 

Be patient and understand that you will very likely lose some games.  Once you become familiar with it your win rate will go up, but you should still expect it to be tooth & nail every time.  That's a big plus IMO, but your early games will be more punishing while you learn.

The game doesn't have much in the way of base rules, since each card pretty much makes up it's own.  Pretty much just the few phases of the turn and a handful of effect definitions.  Learn the basics and dig in.   :)



Here is a link to the tabletop rules.  May be easier to learn from than the tutorial.  You really only need to read pages 6-11 of the pdf.  Just some graphical card examples and a few paragraphs.  The digital game does some of that for you anyway.

https://greaterthangames.com/system/files/downloads/Sentinels%20of%20the%20Multiverse%20Enhanced%20Edition%20Rulebook.pdf

BanzaiCat

Thanks, Nef, I'll check that out when I have a chance.

I DO like the game, it just surprised me how hard the tutorial was. Some people see challenges, other see paths of least resistance and go that way instead. I'll definitely go back to it, though, because it intrigues me.

Is there online co-op or multiplayer to it, by chance? Not that I'd have an easier time with a real person.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 28, 2016, 12:01:40 PM


Is there online co-op or multiplayer to it, by chance? Not that I'd have an easier time with a real person.


I'm pretty sure they added multiplayer Co-Op last year. 

I've not tried it yet but would be up for it sometime.   8)

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  Cat, I'm no expert at it, but like most collectible card games (CCGs), the key to victory is all about syncing up the different cards so they feed off each other.  Just one example I remember from the tutorial:  One of your heroes has a fixed power (available from the start) that means every attack (by him or an ally) does +1 damage.  Another hero has an ability (Throwing Knives, I think?) that attacks 3 different enemies for 2 damage each.

Let those two feed off each other, and you have 1 hero who can dish out 9 damage in a single turn.  That's great for crowd control and let's all your other heroes focus most of their attacks/actions on hammering the main anti-hero and/or controlling other harmful cards in play (e.g., a Volcano card).  That's my recollection of how I won the tutorial.

It works A LITTLE better as a table top game, where you can scan all the Hero cards in play at once to see what works together (as opposed to having to scan individual cards), but if you play with the same heroes a few times, it gets pretty easy to remember the powers of a particular card just by the name/graphic which is available from the main screen.

Games like this are ALL about getting combos that feed off each other.  Think of it as the superhero equivalent of combining tanks, infantry, artillery, and air power!   O0

BanzaiCat

I think that's part of it, being a total newb to the game and not fully understanding/knowing the cards' potential.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 28, 2016, 01:36:27 PM
I think that's part of it, being a total newb to the game and not fully understanding/knowing the cards' potential.

That's definitely part of getting better.  Hell, there are some heroes/villains I've not played yet and they can pull some surprises until you become familiar with their specific deck & theme.  They're each unique & thematic, which is wonderful.


Aside from setting up combo synergies, another huge part of SotM strategy is prioritizing threats. 

On any one turn, you'll generally have the Supervillain, his various minions & devices, and the Environment all trying to do bad stuff to you.  You'll have to prioritize the biggest threat and work on taking that out ASAP as the situation evolves.  There will always be other threats you'll have to let slide for awhile, and take a beating from them, but you can eventually catch up and do what needs to be done in order to win. 

Always be aware of how the Supervillain operates and what it takes to defeat him.  Read BOTH sides of his card at the start (and whenever needed), because he/she will generally flip into the other state on a certain trigger.  Understanding how the Supervillain operates, and after seeing how some of his specific cards combo with that, will give you insight in how to go about defeating him.   8)