Main Menu

Tigers on the Hunt

Started by BlackJaguar, December 02, 2015, 06:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Cyrano

@Zonso:  Not directed at anyone in particular, but your response is delightful; and I agree.  There is something always lost when playing PBEM.  This is, parenthetically, why live LAN games are the best way to play PC games, presuming actual humans aren't able to come to your home or you to theirs.  This is also why Heroes of Normandie's PBEM++ rubbish makes me want to shriek; the game is built for quick, head-to-head turns and this system has significantly diminished my enjoyment of what is otherwise a praiseworthy game.  There is no doubt that digital and analog gaming are different media, each with its own needs, which is why every cry of "why isn't there a digital iteration of X" isn't answered, or at least answered well.

@Zulu:Your critique of PzC is taken,  but it's not all that awful.  Honestly, there's not a boardgame at the scale of it or PzB that I prefer to the digital iterations.  Besides, you can turn off the oft-maligned OP fire.  It just makes the games go on forever.  It's much easier to manage over the LAN than it is PBEM.  The latter tends to bog horribly with defensive fire on.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

PipFromSlitherine

HoN allows you to play head to head with turns going back and forth instantly without having to leave the game, so hopefully that stops any urge to shriek :)

Cheers

Pip

BlackJaguar

Quote from: magnus on February 04, 2016, 07:41:54 PM
I am not trying to stir the pot, but here goes.

This is not ASL ported to the computer.

This is one mans game built and somewhat based on ASL and probably Tobruk and a few other board games thrown in.

The purists will have to bite the bullet and either like the game for itself or not like it because it is not 100% ASL.

This is also not a gaming company or even a few gents, it is one man's vision of a tactical game.

I think the game has plenty to stand on it's own without even mentioning ASL.

Tigers on the Hunt is inspired by ASL, and correct I'm just a wargamer like you guys. I worked on the game in my spare time after day job or full time while I was between job contracts. I created a game that I wanted to play, and now I'm just sharing with the rest of the world, nothing more and nothing less. If things go well I will add more features...we shall see.

Richie61

I think my Squad Leader mod for TotH is done. Well as done as I feel like doing for now  :)
I used only Squad Leader counters. I used (2) men images for full squad and 1 man image for 1/2 squads. Plus I moved the "stars" to the bottom to make more room for the images.



Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Richie61

German and Soviet



British  :)

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Rekim

those ASL themed counters really improve the ASL flavour IMO

I'm surprised by the amount of concern being expressed over the lack of walls and multi-level buildings. Both of these terrain types are absent from the ASL starter kits. I've never heard complaints about this design decision with board game, and they are a very popular form of ASL. Also wonder at suggestions that all of the game systems/rules from ASL should be implemented. Talk about utopian thinking. I'll take SK style over computer World In Flames any day. Not that I don't hope to see TotH evolve and grow.

gameleaper

well done Richie61, the chits are what I will use, and the game is far more interesting with them.

I know its not full ASL type game Cyrano, and I would one day wish to play a full ASL PC game, its not putting me off, just this type of game has me checking matrix everyday in-case its released.

Richie61

Quote from: gameleaper on February 08, 2016, 07:50:02 AM
well done Richie61, the chits are what I will use, and the game is far more interesting with them.

Thanks. I did a test with JG images too, but I didn't like it.

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

spelk


Rayfer

Nice video spelk...thanks.  I am more and more leaning toward getting this game, it's looking to be more like I wanted L&L's Heroes of Stalingrad to be  but wasn't.

gameleaper

thx for the link to the vid spelk. I like the mechanic to fire at moving targets like ASL. I think it gets more interesting every time I see something new about this game

BlackJaguar

Thanks for your feedback guys, Jorgen and I we appreciate it :)

TacticalWargames

I dropped out fairly quickly because I only have a set amount of time to dedicate to testing and a game has to grab me ASAP for me to put time into it. TOTH didn't grab me enough and so I thought best I pull out and let someone else take my place. Also it seemed to me it was feature complete and the developer was only interested in bug\error's where I suppose I like to be in a position to offer ideas on new features\improvements.

For me a new tactical wargame needs to be indepth and be doing things other tac wargames aren't doing or don't have, features that are often requested on forums, or if it takes a whole new innovative approach\design, abandoning any link to boardgame roots. I already have tactical wargames that hardly get played with a similar feature set as TOTH so TOTH would have to be uber special with gameplay features not seen in the other tac games for me to consider buying.

I will be buying CMx2 series games\modules and also Graviteam Tactics Muis Front but as far as new tac games go I see nothing on the horizon that has what I'm looking for.

I do truly hope TOTH is a success though as there can never be enough tactical wargames out there and if after some expansions it really does rival ASL I'll certainly be buying.

gameleaper

For Me a PC game that is close to a boardgame is the most important thing in a wargame, if it looks like a boardgame I want it. a PC version of ASL is the holy grail, and TotH looks close enough to be a monster in my games collection, it may not be a clone of ASL, but slightly set back - I can visualise a squad being on all floors of a building, I don't need to know what floor a squad is on, don't get me wrong I want multi-levels  its just not going to put me off. TotH has enormous ASL type play to enjoy it for what it is, not what its not, I hope it will be worked-on more to get a better game, but I can say that about all games.

panzerde

Nice video. The gameplay does look interesting.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres