Main Menu

HPS

Started by Philippe, February 08, 2016, 01:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Philippe

Is anyone else disturbed that they haven't updated their site since August ?

I don't intend to replace the HPS versions of Tiller games with JTS versions, but it's very annoying to see JTS updates that haven't migrated over to HPS.

I realize that there are two different sets of issues involved here and I'd rather not dissect them in public.

I own an awful lot of HPS games and it's distressing to think that for all intents and purposes they're not being supported.

It's one thing when a Tiller patch takes its own sweet time about coming out.  I'm used to that.  But when a patch doesn't seem to want to migrate from JTS to HPS, that's pretty hard to justify.



Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Asid

Quote from: Philippe on February 08, 2016, 01:09:24 PM
It's one thing when a Tiller patch takes its own sweet time about coming out.  I'm used to that.  But when a patch doesn't seem to want to migrate from JTS to HPS, that's pretty hard to justify.
Agreed  :tickedoff:
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

TacticalWargames

Take it from me everything is fine.

Work constantly happens with regards to the TSS engine. It had to be moved to a whole new compiler which caused issues, plus lots of new stuff being worked on with regards to the engine aswell. I'm putting as much pressure on as possible to make sure 1 the next TU patch is well recieved and 2 the next game in the series is released in a far better condition than any of the others. Hence it's taking time.

If you wnat an update just email Scott at HPS. He will always respond to emails sent.

Richie61

Can't speak for anything other than Squad Battles, but JT is selling AotR and ES with newer versions with a few change log adjustments than what HPS has.

I only know of these two cause I heard they were changed and I bought them again to see for myself. Other SB titles could be, but I ain't re buying again to see  :knuppel2:

Eagles Strike: HPS 104a

JT:
QuoteChanges for Eagles Strike 1.05
    - First John Tiller Software release.
    - Added Weapons Off option under View Menu to hide discarded weapons on
      the map.
    - Added reliability 'X' for loads, weapons, and vehicles.
    - Added Leader morale modification to assault morale (see Assaulting
      in User Manual).
    - Added Demoralize load effect which causes units to become
      Demoralized or Disrupted (see Weapon Types in the User Manual).
    - Changes that reduces protection and movement cost between adjacent
      Trench hexes (see Users Manual under Movement and Firing).
    - Added Inspirational Weapons in addition to Motivational Weapons.
    - Added ability to sort data in the Database Editor.
    - Added option for Mouse Wheel Zoom.
    - Added hot key 'F' in main program to toggle Hold Fire.

Advance of the Reich: HPS 105

Just changed over to JT, but new patch number.

Changes for Advance of the Reich V1.06
   
Quote- Initial John Tiller Software release.

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

TacticalWargames

The reason Tiller split from HPS was because Scott at HPS didn't agree with the new DRM (the serial number) that John wanted to use. Scott isn't a fan of DRM:)

Richie61

Quote from: TacticalWargames on February 08, 2016, 02:28:34 PM
The reason Tiller split from HPS was because Scott at HPS didn't agree with the new DRM (the serial number) that John wanted to use. Scott isn't a fan of DRM:)

Jason,

Think the "Tigers Unleashed" game is worth picking up?
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Asid

Hi Richie61

I have Tigers Unleashed. It has a lot of depth. So much goes on under the hood. LOS, armour penetrations, weather and many other factors are taken into consideration. It is being worked on at the moment as TacticalWargames said. A lot of good improvements are being made.

It may not be for everybody. I enjoy it.

I see it as more of a simulator.

Regards

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

Tigers Unleashed info: Here
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Richie61

Sorry for high jacking the thread  :-[

Asid,

Thanks! Is TU more than say Squad Battles, but less than Panzer Battles?

Maybe I should learn Steel Beasts Pro since I have all the updates.  :))
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Asid

Apologies for posting this in your thread Philippe

Description
Tigers Unleashed is a unique, ultra-realistic tactical/grand-tactical level combat simulation set on the Eastern Front of World War Two between 1939-1942. It is a strategy-type game, where the player assumes the role of a combat Task Force Commander responsible for anything from a ski infantry company to a heavy panzer battlegroup. The basic units are squads and platoons, which are used as building blocks to create larger units.

TU has so much more than any of the titles you mentioned Richie. It takes so many factors into consideration. This is reflected in the turn resolution times. It is being constantly updated and is just getting better.

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Philippe

Quote from: TacticalWargames on February 08, 2016, 01:31:51 PM

If you wnat an update just email Scott at HPS. He will always respond to emails sent.


That's not the point.  Assuming he could send me updates for Tiller games that are not available on the HPS site, what possible justification can there be for not posting them so that they are available for everyone?

This is not about my getting the HPS version of JTS patches, this is about justifying the delay in the public availability. 

And frankly, from the point of view of best professional practices, on the surface it doesn't look very good.



Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

TacticalWargames

He relies on JT to give him the updates. He obviously hasn't been given them if they aren't up. I will ask him about it.

jomni

Quote from: Richie61 on February 08, 2016, 04:09:43 PM
Sorry for high jacking the thread  :-[

Asid,

Thanks! Is TU more than say Squad Battles, but less than Panzer Battles?

Tigers Unleashed is neither.  It's like a 2D Combat Mission or Command Ops.  It is the WW2 version of Point of Attack 2.

RyanE

I have both POA2 and TU.  Neither are what I would call functional wargames right now.  It is a long sorry saga of updates that fix things and break things.  You can play with it as kind of sandbox, but as a game, still needs a lot of fixing.

And the worst part is POA2 was somewhat functional until TU was released and POA2 was updated.  Minimal communications with customers, various community members trying to push for fixes, fairly expensive games, etc.  I have pretty much given up.  A great idea that was too much for one guy.

Nefaro

Quote from: TacticalWargames on February 08, 2016, 02:28:34 PM
The reason Tiller split from HPS was because Scott at HPS didn't agree with the new DRM (the serial number) that John wanted to use. Scott isn't a fan of DRM:)

Same reason I've only purchased from the HPS site.

If those are behind an update, then so be it.  I can deal with lagging behind if it means I don't have to deal with that online activation DRM BS.