American Truck Simulator has launched! (Linux, Mac, Windows)

Started by Huw the Poo, February 02, 2016, 02:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 08, 2016, 01:46:58 AM
Jomni, I agree, the speed limits are up and down like a whore's drawers sometimes.  When you start getting pulled into weighbridges the limit drops to 20, so be careful of that!

Damn!  Thanks for the warning.  I always compare to Europe.  In ETS2, at least you get ample warning about the speed limits per section.  There are signs everywhere.



Staggerwing

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 08, 2016, 01:46:58 AM

Jomni, I agree, the speed limits are up and down like a whore's drawers sometimes.  When you start getting pulled into weighbridges the limit drops to 20, so be careful of that!

I can't say about the West Coast but here in my part of the East Coast, especially in the older cities and towns, it's common to see sudden speed changes due to old roads with sharp corners and hilly sections, or even places where the small towns have reacted to local residents complaining about traffic speeds in front of their homes. These spots almost never have a warning sign before the actual sign posting the limit.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

#48
^^ True everywhere in the US I've ever been (though no farther west than Dallas), whether as far north as New Hampshire or as south as Miami.

I'd never set up my factory to force trucks to do insane things like that, though. I'd say it seems gamey (in the sense that the designers are screwing with you), but I know places are that thoughtless in real life, too.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Ok that speed limit thing is kind of turning me off to the game now.  Are the speed traps and fines frequent enough to be irritating to the gameplay experience?  In ETS2 I could drive as fast as my rig would let me on the highway and there was always proper warning to slow down when near big cities. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

jomni

Quote from: W8taminute on February 09, 2016, 06:55:34 AM
Ok that speed limit thing is kind of turning me off to the game now.  Are the speed traps and fines frequent enough to be irritating to the gameplay experience?  In ETS2 I could drive as fast as my rig would let me on the highway and there was always proper warning to slow down when near big cities.

I get fined for every job.  Really have to get used to it.

Huw the Poo

I haven't been fined in the last few runs.  It's just something you have to get used to; when you go through towns the limit will change, and various other times you soon learn to spot.  As long as you keep your eye on your satnav you should be fine.

The reason I kept being caught out at the beginning is that it's quite different to ETS2. Now that I'm used to ATS it isn't really a problem.

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Huw the Poo

Demo now available.  It's limited to California and by the number of jobs you can do, but is otherwise exactly the same as the full game.

jomni

Did you guys check out the radio?  I tuned into Truckers FM.  I have yet to put in custom URLS for The stations.

Huw the Poo

I just put a symlink in the music directory pointing at my collection, although I have no idea how the in-game radio orders the tracks; it groups albums together but the tracklisting within an album seems random, which is a bit annoying.

For internet radio, I already have my favourite channels set up in Amarok so I just play that in the background before launching the game.

Still, having an in-game radio is pretty bloody awesome innit?

glen55

I read that you can listen to internet stations and they play the actual news on the hour, every hour.  Which is pretty damn immersive for a trucker game. . . .
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Grim.Reaper

Patch released with new truck added....looks like they are adjusting the offenses...

•Player has more time to react to changes in speed limit before it is enforced by the police.

•Tweaked police offence probabilities for 'no lights' and 'speeding'

•Added option for disabling traffic offense

•Added reduction of fines based on player's level

Huw the Poo

Yeah the fines now scale with player level, which should make a lot of people happy.  Also apparently you can now turn right at a red light as long as you indicate.  I didn't even know that was a thing...

SCS are clearly paying careful attention to player feedback. :)

W8taminute

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 15, 2016, 05:41:58 PM
Yeah the fines now scale with player level, which should make a lot of people happy.  Also apparently you can now turn right at a red light as long as you indicate.  I didn't even know that was a thing...

SCS are clearly paying careful attention to player feedback. :)

Many states here in the US have a road rule which allows motorists to turn right even if the light is red provided you come to a complete stop first.  Do they have this kind of rule on European roads?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk