Main Menu

HPS

Started by Philippe, February 08, 2016, 01:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

I'm pretty sure the newest patches for JTS games do away with the online serial number activation.

panzerde

Quote from: Bison on February 08, 2016, 07:34:22 PM
I'm pretty sure the newest patches for JTS games do away with the online serial number activation.

Patches don't require an activation, but AFAIK the games still require the serial number right after installation.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

I own both Decisive Action and POA2. I've never been able to figure out DA, and it has to be run in a fixed resolution making it basically unplayable on anything with a graphics card produced in the past decade. I would still rather install and try and play DA than spend another minute on POA2. POA2 is why I refuse to try Tigers Unleashed. I agree with Ryan - good ideas, but there's no game there.

I think it's a damn shame that HPS can't get their hands on a newer version of DA to distribute. I know that they exist; the sim is still very much in use in the Army today and has been updated.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

TacticalWargames

Had a reply from Scott. He said if he was given them he'd put them up. So obviously he hasn't been sent them by JT. So I'd take it up with him.

Asid

Regarding the patches for HPS games.

It seems that to update existing titles you may have to buy them again from JT   :tickedoff: If this is the case then i think it is very harsh for the people who have the HPS version.
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Rayfer

Quote from: Asid on February 09, 2016, 07:07:56 AM
Regarding the patches for HPS games.

It seems that to update existing titles you may have to buy them again from JT   :tickedoff: If this is the case then i think it is very harsh for the people who have the HPS version.

No way I re-buy the many HPS titles I enjoy just so I can get updated patches. This one's a head-scratcher.

panzerde

I don't believe that Tiller is intending to cut off HPS from patches. In the past, HPS has always received them, and usually within days/weeks of the JTS patch.

It sounds like from what I've picked up in discussions elsewhere that John Tiller himself is extraordinarily busy right now with the work he's doing for their government contracts. What development time he does have (and virtually all development of the engine is done by Tiller himself) is probably going to getting the first patch out for Battles of Normandy. BoN has been a big seller for JTS and is where the momentum is right now, so from a business perspective it makes sense that it would get attention over AoR or ES, for example.

So, I doubt there's a conspiracy here to deprive HPS of patches. It's probably the same thing that always happens in this hobby: the companies are small, there's a one or two person bottleneck on production, and a decision is made to focus on something that leaves something else delayed. This happens pretty much weekly in this hobby.

I agree, it sucks that the HPS games aren't patched. I have a pile of them too and recently bought more when Rich Hamilton had a bunch for sale on eBay. AoR and ES are two of the games I have as HPS versions. Until I see some announcement though, I'm not going to assume this is an intentional move to deny the patches to HPS so JTS can resell the games.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

TacticalWargames

Well Scott can only upload what's sent him. He to is very busy plus on off health issues so hasn't the time to keep checking then asking for updates I suppose. Anyway he said if they get sent him he'll upload them.

panzerde

Quote from: TacticalWargames on February 09, 2016, 11:31:33 AM
Well Scott can only upload what's sent him. He to is very busy plus on off health issues so hasn't the time to keep checking then asking for updates I suppose. Anyway he said if they get sent him he'll upload them.


Certainly not Scott/HPS's fault either. He's in the exact same boat.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Strela

I suggest you drop Rich Hamilton a note via the support page here;

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Support.php

In a number of cases John has added a version number for the John Tiller Release, but there is nothing else changed. The example Richie61 gave for Advance of the Reich is a good example.

In other cases there may have been updates to the engine that needs to be pushed out. A few years back Rich & John did a massive exercise to bring everything up to the same level and it was no small task. There was something like 60+ games reviewed with the number doubled for both the HPS & JTS version - it was a lot of patches.

As Panzerde says, John is busy. He just announced that he has won another 3 year air force contract and that means less time to spend on commercial war games. The good news is that John does the programming side, but increasingly we're driving content, art and other areas within the development teams, which means John is only needed for short periods of time.

David


rahamy

This thread was brought to my attention so I wanted to comment.

First off, at no time have we (JTS) ever directed or desired a customer to re-purchase a game directly from us that they had previously purchased through HPS Simulations. That is not our policy now, nor will it be in the future.  We have, and will continue to, convert customers for free to the JTS versions of our games after verifying their proof of purchase, if they desire.

On-line activations have also been mentioned. They are required once - when the game is installed, and at no time there after on that computer. No continued Internet connection is required.

Another common thing I have seen, though not specifically mentioned here, is the ability to save the installer before installing the game. This can & should be done and then make a backup copy in the event you need to reinstall, or install on another computer you own. You do not have to get back with Support to re-download as a policy...only if you don't save the file to being with.

As for patches, the reasons have been touched on by others here. We're a tiny development house with limited resources. We currently have 80 titles published that we support, with 60+ of those being originally released through HPS Simulations. Maintaining two versions of each update for 60+ games is a pretty big task and to a certain extent removes resources from other things that need done. And given our practice of supporting our games for well over a decade, through multiple Microsoft OS releases, video card changes requiring code updates and so on, we need to make the process as manageable as possible. So, as time progresses we will likely move to only offering updates through the JTS site. This gives us a streamlined support system and allows us to ensure our customers needs are met for the long haul.

Regards,
Rich
Wargame Design Studio
Operations Manager
https://wargameds.com/

Staggerwing

Rich,
Thanks for clearing thing up. Quick question- what verification is needed to convert an HPS game to it's JTS equivalent? I have several that were purchased so long ago all I have is the disk and jewel case. 
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

^ Excellent question Stagger.  And when is zoomed view coming to my beloved Early American Wars series?  :)

Philippe

Conversion sounds like the best solution for all around.  But like (probably) everyone else here, I bought mine a very long time ago from different sources (some from J&R, most from Chris Dean).  I think the only games I ever bought direct from HPS weren't Tiller games.

From a management point of view, anything less than 100% of people converting their HPS versions to JTS versions doesn't solve the problem.  Eighty or ninety percent conversion still leaves you supporting two versions.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

rahamy

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 12, 2016, 06:52:53 AM
Rich,
Thanks for clearing thing up. Quick question- what verification is needed to convert an HPS game to it's JTS equivalent? I have several that were purchased so long ago all I have is the disk and jewel case.

An order confirmation email is best all the way around, but I do realize not everyone is as big a packrat as me.   ;)  I also have a database I can query, and if all else fails a simple picture of your cd will suffice. Specific questions should be directed to  Support@johntillersoftware.com  - as I don't comb the forums like I used to...just don't have the same amount of free time.
Wargame Design Studio
Operations Manager
https://wargameds.com/