Main Menu

Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by Jarhead0331, March 29, 2014, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Apocalypse 31

Wargame needs a map editor so players can produce their own content. That is my biggest sticking point with the franchise.

jomni

Israel Nation pack will be released next month.

undercovergeek

Quote from: jomni on September 16, 2016, 06:33:35 AM
Israel Nation pack will be released next month.

Seriously? That sounds pretty cool, is there an oob?

Jarhead0331

There was a vote awhile back about which nation should be next as a DLC. I ranked Israel number 1 I think. It's an interesting choice, but I'm hard pressed to think of a scenario in which Israeli forces would be deployed to east Asia.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Pete Dero

http://www.eugensystems.com/a-preview-into-tzahal/   (with list of the units in the DLC)

Will be released on Octobre 4th, 2016

Twitch session on Monday, September 19th, at 7 PM (Paris' time)  https://www.twitch.tv/eugensystems

mikeck

Reeeaaaallllly tried to like this game. Just always felt like a click-fest even when I slowed it down. May have to give it another shot
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 16, 2016, 07:04:49 AM
There was a vote awhile back about which nation should be next as a DLC. I ranked Israel number 1 I think. It's an interesting choice, but I'm hard pressed to think of a scenario in which Israeli forces would be deployed to east Asia.

to protect our supply of Chinese food!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 16, 2016, 09:09:44 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 16, 2016, 07:04:49 AM
There was a vote awhile back about which nation should be next as a DLC. I ranked Israel number 1 I think. It's an interesting choice, but I'm hard pressed to think of a scenario in which Israeli forces would be deployed to east Asia.

to protect our supply of Chinese food!

LoL!  :2funny:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DennisS

Quote from: mikeck on September 16, 2016, 08:54:18 AM
Reeeaaaallllly tried to like this game. Just always felt like a click-fest even when I slowed it down. May have to give it another shot

I have all three variants of this game. It IS a clickfest...even at the dead-slowest setting. I have tried and tried..and like you, I may just have to try again. The concept is just too cool to try not to.

Same way for the new Command naval sim. Fantastically complex...


jomni

I just realised I haven't bought the Netherlands one.

Capn Darwin

It's a dressed up RTS. Looks pretty, but not my cup of tea. The plus side is it does bring new gamers over to real wargames and that is always a plus.  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

undercovergeek

Quote from: DennisS on September 16, 2016, 04:52:11 PM
Quote from: mikeck on September 16, 2016, 08:54:18 AM
Reeeaaaallllly tried to like this game. Just always felt like a click-fest even when I slowed it down. May have to give it another shot

I have all three variants of this game. It IS a clickfest...even at the dead-slowest setting. I have tried and tried..and like you, I may just have to try again. The concept is just too cool to try not to.

Same way for the new Command naval sim. Fantastically complex...

essentially were in the same boat - i bought and loved airland battle but it was too fast, it got shelved, red dragon came out and i loved the bullet time option. Then Pete Dero on the forums pointed me at a cheat for Airland Battle that did pretty much the same thing as bullet time and i played airland some more, a lot more, 120 hours actually, but......... i couldnt get any consistency on the maps, id win, id lose, id lose, id win without understanding why. Now, if you dont care why you won or not then read no further!

i never played the campaign, only skirmish - to me this game is the closest ill get to opening a box of toy soldiers, picking all my favourite ones, my elite units, my best planes, my hero units and laying them all out on the rug to get ready to kill the other guys best toys - something i miss from being a kid - and i love the units, the SAS, the Green Berets, the choppers and tanks but on the maps i was playing it was just a panic strategy, click on all these ones here and put them there, they might die, they might not, an attack over here??? holy crap, click on all my tanks and move them there - i was playing the wrong maps, no time to see my victories or losses, no time to marvel at my toys because they were dying too fast. This was on 1v1 maps, 2 minutes of peace, 45 seconds of frantically clicking, 2 minutes of losing or winning, flip a coin and end.

Then i switched to a 2v2 map but with one AI army and me, bumped up the points to 4000, and switched the victory to total destruction - game totally changed for me. The map is big enough now to use recon properly, on 1v1 theres no point, by the time i saw what was coming it was already too late, with the bigger maps, recon can spot whats coming down the road and i can actually put the right units in harms way instead of just whats at hand in the nearest forest. And now i can start with enough units i can effectively use combined arms - no long row of tanks to get decimated by bombers or arty, no squishy anti tank units easy prey to choppers to infantry, i can have mixed groups of mutually supporting units advancing across the map......

and to top it all off, whilst playing a massive digital game of soldiers i didnt even realise i wasnt using bullet time any more, now im no spring chicken and certainly hate the click fest games, and should hate this because all i ever read was how quick it was, but its only quick when you dont have the time to do what you want, which is on the smaller maps, make the map bigger and you have all the time in the world, its smal enough to divide into maybe 2 or 3 sections of action, but because you have the right units in the right place its very rarely a case of coming back to one set of units and finding them all dead because you were managing another sector

in short, make your map bigger, not too big, up the points to the max so you can put all your toys on the board at once and enjoy

brought to you by a hater of RTS click fests

Jarhead0331

The Wargame series is hardly a "dressed up RTS" or an "RTS clickfest". If you have concluded this, you have either not taken the chance to understand the mechanics of the game, not taken advantage of the time settings, or just simply do not enjoy a challenge that requires you to make decisions under a modest level of pressure.

There is nothing else out there like the Wargame series. I agree with Undercovergeek that the game is one giant wonderful cold war toy box. The level of detail in the OOB is unrivaled, even for most "hardcore" TBS games. Each game in the series utilizes, concealment, cover, LOS, combined arms, suppression, supply (ammo and fuel), morale, etc. How is this just a "dressed up RTS"?

Anyway, its a great series and I will defend it. I understand that not everybody is going to enjoy it, but overall the series continues to impress. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18