Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game

Started by MetalDog, December 12, 2015, 06:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on February 14, 2016, 04:40:29 PM
The treacherous Greek came across my border and took Samarqand and Eretria from me.  I dealt him enough damage in the assault that he had to stop to heal and regroup.  Barthheart's France jumped in to the war and almost immediately took back Halicarnassus.  Several turns later, Tuna and the Americans took Illinois at the very western edge of The Great's Empire. 

I could do nothing but furiously move obsolete troops to the front lines and pray that France and America's involvement would buy me some time to rearm, then take back what was taken from me.  Alexander's espionage machine had been rolling as well and left him open to all the information I could gather in his lands.  I saw that the vast majority of his troops had moved to counter Louis and Washington, leaving Samarqand and Eretria lightly defended.  A struck!  And recaptured both of my cities!

Barthheart has since bowed out after taking his one city.  While Tuna is facing the wrath of Alexander.  If I can return to status quo antebellum, I will gladly end this war with Alexander and Zara Yaqob.  The next session while tell.
Nice! 

So how did Alex get so big, anyway (especially considering he's played by the AI)?  Was he just lucky enough to be in the right starting position, or was it other factors? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

The short answer is city spam.  The slightly longer answer is a big map and everyone on the same continent seems to spur the ai to prodigious feats of city spam.  Tuna is ginormous, too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Millipede

Jamus & Frey... I'll be on Steam in the next 1/2 hour or so and I'm good until 2 (5 EDT) this afternoon. This evening is still up in the air... earliest for me would be 9 EDT. Tomorrow looks good all day.

jamus34

I'm actually heading out for most of the day but I'll be around this evening probably around 9ish.

Tomorrow I will be available in the evening from about 8ish on.
Insert witty comment here.

Freyland

I'm good for tonight, and tomorrow is probably good, but as per norm I am unable to start before 9 PM EST. 

Millipede

My grandson's team won their game yesterday so they play in the final today. As a result, there will be either post game blues or prolonged celebration. In other words, I have no idea when I'll get home this afternoon/evening. I'll check in on Steam as soon as I can.

MetalDog

Are you guys getting any gaming done?  I'd be interested to hear where you're at.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

jamus34

Quote from: MetalDog on February 21, 2016, 12:36:29 PM
Are you guys getting any gaming done?  I'd be interested to hear where you're at.

Well life has gotten in the way but we're trying to continue on as much as possible. Currently I am in a ghost war with the Frenchies (I say ghost war because I was asked by an AI and I have nothing near Napoleon so I am at war on paper only) and shortly before ending our last session the Ethiopians (I believe, Frey and Millipede can concur that) decided to declare war on Frey and myself. Oh, and BTW they also have me completely surrounded on land although thankfully not landlocked.

They also have both troop and technical superiority to me.

Yeah...I never really recovered from my gimping my city growth snafu from early on. Need to start grabbing some screenies when i get a chance.
Insert witty comment here.

Freyland

Roy, as Jamus already knows, I am not available tonight due to household obligations.  We just need to plan a day next week.

MD, The Ethiopians and the "K" culture, whom are second and first place respectively, have declared war on me.  The Frenchies, my arch enemy, is now the vassal to the "K" guys.  I have enemy power stacks outside of my second best city. I'm sure to lose it in the next turn or two.  :(

MetalDog

Sounds grim.  Any chance of rescue from any of the other players or ai?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Freyland

Pascal, the #3 player, was DOW'd by the "K" fellow as well.  Probably helpful, but for now its the Ethiopian's on my ass, so I'm on my own.  I do not know where Roy or Jamus are located, but I know Jamus is presently in last.

Millipede

The team lost so no post game celebration and I'm at home. I'll check in on Steam as soon as I post this.

Game update -

As mentioned in other posts, Frey (Vikings) has been at war with the French (AI) since early in the game and it has slowed his development. He's got Louis/Napoleon pretty much worn down but now the Ethiopians and the Khmer have DOW'd him. Not good...

Jamus hit the no growth button on either his 1st or 2nd city (maybe both, I'm not sure) and forgot to turn it off for long enough to severely impact his progression and he's never really recovered. He now has the same two (Ethiopians and Khmer) all over him and he's in deep doo!

I (Celts) have been fortunate to avoid any fights and since I don't have any iron or copper, that's a good thing. I just discovered gun powder so things are looking up. I really don't want to see Jamus eliminated and, geographically, I can attack the Khmer but they are amongst the strongest civs and I'm not sure if saving Jamus is worth me being eliminated. We'll see, I'm still flip-flopping.

jamus34

Well, on the bright side I managed to pump enough troops where it's going to be costly for someone to take my cities.

On the downside, my infrastructure is shot all to hell.

I'm not available tonight however I should be free any other evening this week.

Thanks Guys!
Insert witty comment here.

MetalDog

Sorry to hear it's been difficult.  I am certainly encouraged that you guys keep trying though.  Makes my heart proud ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Freyland