Main Menu

Victory & Glory

Started by tgb, October 14, 2015, 11:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on October 14, 2015, 11:51:05 AM
When did GH get a podcast?

After you left the office.  We wouldn't want you ducking work on company time.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 14, 2015, 12:37:06 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 14, 2015, 11:51:05 AM
When did GH get a podcast?

After you left the office.  We wouldn't want you ducking work on company time.

No, we wouldn't!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

As for the guy who created Hannibal: Rome & Carthage, he's had his upcoming sequel on hold while "doing contract work" to pay the bills recently.  As per this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3002416&mpage=3&key=

So I'm guessing he's not associated with this one. 

When he does release something, I'll be having it.  Hannibal R&C had some of the best opponent AI I've ever seen, and a challenging single-player focus.

tgb

Then he must have sold the engine or something because other than the more professional art, this sure looks like it plays the same.

Boggit

Quote from: Nefaro on October 14, 2015, 05:24:06 PM
As for the guy who created Hannibal: Rome & Carthage, he's had his upcoming sequel on hold while "doing contract work" to pay the bills recently.  As per this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3002416&mpage=3&key=

So I'm guessing he's not associated with this one. 

When he does release something, I'll be having it.  Hannibal R&C had some of the best opponent AI I've ever seen, and a challenging single-player focus.
I really struggle to beat the AI - even on easy. It's VERY good.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

Quote from: Boggit on October 15, 2015, 10:17:50 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 14, 2015, 05:24:06 PM
As for the guy who created Hannibal: Rome & Carthage, he's had his upcoming sequel on hold while "doing contract work" to pay the bills recently.  As per this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3002416&mpage=3&key=

So I'm guessing he's not associated with this one. 

When he does release something, I'll be having it.  Hannibal R&C had some of the best opponent AI I've ever seen, and a challenging single-player focus.
I really struggle to beat the AI - even on easy. It's VERY good.

I think developer companies looking for a good AI programmer would do well to consider his skills.  At least for turn-based stuff like the game he made.

While some of H:R&C's AI difficult can be chalked up to the single-faction focus of the game, I've still seen the AI make some extremely crafty moves and hit me where it hurts.  Regularly.  :)

Tamas

James, the guy who created Hannibal R&C IS the programmer behind Victory & Glory. He is working with Glenn Drover on this one  8)

We are expecting to be recruiting beta testers fairly soon. Stay tuned. :)

tgb

Good to hear, and I will be looking forward to getting into the beta.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tamas on October 16, 2015, 05:56:15 AM
James, the guy who created Hannibal R&C IS the programmer behind Victory & Glory. He is working with Glenn Drover on this one  8)

We are expecting to be recruiting beta testers fairly soon. Stay tuned. :)


Excellent!

For those of you considering applying to test for this, I'd also like to mention that testing for James' Hannibal game was one of the best Beta experiences I've ever had.  Nice guy, at all times, who was quick on the responses and very keen to implement player feedback.

I've participated in a few Betas over the years where those qualities weren't always present.  That one was very stress free and enjoyable.  O0 

tgb

Good to know.  The developers of Sovereignty were very much like that during the closed beta.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on October 16, 2015, 02:11:15 PM
Good to know.  The developers of Sovereignty were very much like that during the closed beta.

The couple beta tests I did with Matrix, over the past ~11 years, were the best experiences I've had doing so. 

That's not to say all the others were bad, but I've seen the occasional one which didn't always have the smoothest exchange between a stressed-out/defensive dev and a tester giving feedback/suggestions.   ;D 

spelk

Nice video detailing combat in the game


tgb

I just got home from a work-related trip and downloaded the latest build.  I should watch that video just to see if I'm missing anything.

Hofstadter

That video hooked me, applied for the beta
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"