Main Menu

Tigers on the Hunt

Started by BlackJaguar, December 02, 2015, 06:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gameleaper

Thankyou Richie61 for the ASL Mod, it make all the difference.

JudgeDredd

I haven't decided whether to pick this up or not. I've been holding of on other games and for some reason strategy games have dropped down my play list.

But good luck on the release BlackJaguar and team.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

BlackJaguar

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 26, 2016, 02:00:28 AM
I haven't decided whether to pick this up or not. I've been holding of on other games and for some reason strategy games have dropped down my play list.

But good luck on the release BlackJaguar and team.

Thank you sir!  ;)

gameleaper

#168
couple of questions BJ?

I've not had a great deal of time to play yet, just messings at the moment, but I would like to know how the broken units become un-broken - does the program roll a pair of D6 like ASL? the reason I'm asking is the ASL mod still has all the numbers on the chits, the fire-range seemed correct from a couple of checks I did, but what I want to know is the moral and fire-power close to whats on the ASL chits? I can live with the leaders numbers in the mod as they just go from bad to good.

Also If you make expansions and action packs, like rising-sun, I'm in for buying them ?  or VotG :)

how did your first day sales go? I know this may be to nosey :) just wondering .

I loved the hotseat option thx, I found the reactive fire in the movment phase really well done.

Rayfer

Hoping someone posts a mini-review on their initial gameplay impressions.  My gaming funds are limited so I rely on this site for input. The vids I've watched look great but there's nothing like a grog-review,

bbmike

Quote from: gameleaper on February 26, 2016, 08:49:50 AM
couple of questions BJ?

I've not had a great deal of time to play yet, just messings at the moment, but I would like to know how the broken units become un-broken - does the program roll a pair of D6 like ASL? the reason I'm asking is the ASL mod still has all the numbers on the chits, the fire-range seemed correct from a couple of checks I did, but what I want to know is the moral and fire-power close to whats on the ASL chits? I can live with the leaders numbers in the mod as they just go from bad to good.

Also If you make expansions and action packs, like rising-sun, I'm in for buying them ?  or VotG :)

how did your first day sales go? I know this may be to nosey :) just wondering .

I loved the hotseat option thx, I found the reactive fire in the movment phase really well done.

+1. Throw in a Pacific War expansion and it becomes an offer I can't refuse.  ^-^
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on February 26, 2016, 10:16:45 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on February 26, 2016, 08:49:50 AM
couple of questions BJ?

I've not had a great deal of time to play yet, just messings at the moment, but I would like to know how the broken units become un-broken - does the program roll a pair of D6 like ASL? the reason I'm asking is the ASL mod still has all the numbers on the chits, the fire-range seemed correct from a couple of checks I did, but what I want to know is the moral and fire-power close to whats on the ASL chits? I can live with the leaders numbers in the mod as they just go from bad to good.

Also If you make expansions and action packs, like rising-sun, I'm in for buying them ?  or VotG :)

how did your first day sales go? I know this may be to nosey :) just wondering .

I loved the hotseat option thx, I found the reactive fire in the movment phase really well done.

+1. Throw in a Pacific War expansion and it becomes an offer I can't refuse.  ^-^

plus this game has a great editor to setup a battle, this is its best point IMHO , I hope we see BJ add-on to it, ASL made most profit from modules.

Zulu1966

Quote from: gameleaper on February 26, 2016, 11:03:14 AM
Quote from: bbmike on February 26, 2016, 10:16:45 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on February 26, 2016, 08:49:50 AM
couple of questions BJ?

I've not had a great deal of time to play yet, just messings at the moment, but I would like to know how the broken units become un-broken - does the program roll a pair of D6 like ASL? the reason I'm asking is the ASL mod still has all the numbers on the chits, the fire-range seemed correct from a couple of checks I did, but what I want to know is the moral and fire-power close to whats on the ASL chits? I can live with the leaders numbers in the mod as they just go from bad to good.

Also If you make expansions and action packs, like rising-sun, I'm in for buying them ?  or VotG :)

how did your first day sales go? I know this may be to nosey :) just wondering .

I loved the hotseat option thx, I found the reactive fire in the movment phase really well done.

+1. Throw in a Pacific War expansion and it becomes an offer I can't refuse.  ^-^

plus this game has a great editor to setup a battle, this is its best point IMHO , I hope we see BJ add-on to it, ASL made most profit from modules.

Cant say I have played it yet ... and on face of things it has certain things missing for - like hexside terrain. But bought it in the hope BJ and team can add to it later
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

gameleaper

Quote from: Zulu1966 on February 26, 2016, 11:08:21 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on February 26, 2016, 11:03:14 AM
Quote from: bbmike on February 26, 2016, 10:16:45 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on February 26, 2016, 08:49:50 AM
couple of questions BJ?

I've not had a great deal of time to play yet, just messings at the moment, but I would like to know how the broken units become un-broken - does the program roll a pair of D6 like ASL? the reason I'm asking is the ASL mod still has all the numbers on the chits, the fire-range seemed correct from a couple of checks I did, but what I want to know is the moral and fire-power close to whats on the ASL chits? I can live with the leaders numbers in the mod as they just go from bad to good.

Also If you make expansions and action packs, like rising-sun, I'm in for buying them ?  or VotG :)

how did your first day sales go? I know this may be to nosey :) just wondering .

I loved the hotseat option thx, I found the reactive fire in the movment phase really well done.

+1. Throw in a Pacific War expansion and it becomes an offer I can't refuse.  ^-^

plus this game has a great editor to setup a battle, this is its best point IMHO , I hope we see BJ add-on to it, ASL made most profit from modules.

Cant say I have played it yet ... and on face of things it has certain things missing for - like hexside terrain. But bought it in the hope BJ and team can add to it later

you could pretent to be playing a starter kit, IIRC some of the kits didn't use hexside terrain.

gameleaper

#174
A real good part of TotH is the pop-up messages telling you what your doing wrong, imagine having a friend telling you how to play ASL, the fact that these messages are there means to me the programmer has put real effort into it.

I have to say even though it has some things missing that ASL has, I'm still very much enjoying it as it is! I'm slightly bias because ASL is my fav boardgame, and I like tactical battles like steel panthers, but I have found you can play this game with little or no reading, it walks you through the phases by popups on mistakes in real time as you do it. the phases speak for themselves eg German fire phase, or American movement phase.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: gameleaper on February 27, 2016, 02:55:26 AM
A real good part of TotH is the pop-up messages telling you what your doing wrong, imagine having a friend telling you how to play ASL, the fact that these messages are there means to me the programmer has put real effort into it.
This is sooooo important and often missing in games. I recall having a very frustrating time playing Gary Grigsby's World at War. I wanted to move a ship and it wouldn't move. That in itself was annoying. What was far worse though was the game popped a message up saying (and I am not kidding) "You cannot move there"!!! Seriously!? If the game knows why I can't move there, why not let me know about it? If you are a programmer, and you're putting a message in saying "You can't do that", then you know the reason why I can't do that - so how about telling me the reason...share some of that knowledge? Instead, you'd have to wade through the manual and rules and figure it out yourself.

I'm all for well written manuals and documented rules and games...but, if you know the reason and you're putting a message box in anyway, just show the reason.

So if this game has that, then total kudos from me...because it (at least used to be) severely lacking in wargaming.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

gameleaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 27, 2016, 04:27:13 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on February 27, 2016, 02:55:26 AM
A real good part of TotH is the pop-up messages telling you what your doing wrong, imagine having a friend telling you how to play ASL, the fact that these messages are there means to me the programmer has put real effort into it.
This is sooooo important and often missing in games. I recall having a very frustrating time playing Gary Grigsby's World at War. I wanted to move a ship and it wouldn't move. That in itself was annoying. What was far worse though was the game popped a message up saying (and I am not kidding) "You cannot move there"!!! Seriously!? If the game knows why I can't move there, why not let me know about it? If you are a programmer, and you're putting a message in saying "You can't do that", then you know the reason why I can't do that - so how about telling me the reason...share some of that knowledge? Instead, you'd have to wade through the manual and rules and figure it out yourself.

I'm all for well written manuals and documented rules and games...but, if you know the reason and you're putting a message box in anyway, just show the reason.

So if this game has that, then total kudos from me...because it (at least used to be) severely lacking in wargaming.

you get messages like this - I tried to change the covering arc button to turn the tank, and I got the message like this"a stopped afv cant turn if your engine is off".

I also got messages like this "you cant move a unit that fired in the fire phase"

or "you cant fire a unit twice"

its a welcome surprise in a wargame as JD mentioned

gameleaper

#177
Quote from: BlackJaguar on December 04, 2015, 06:01:21 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on December 04, 2015, 03:24:06 AM
Quote from: BlackJaguar on December 03, 2015, 08:32:06 PM
I do have 5 levels of elevation ( base + 4 levels of hills), line of sight is calculated down to pixel level and it was a tough job....never mind unit pathfinding.

...are there multistory buildings then? 

I am looking forward to your game anyway :)

unfortunately no because it is hard to do the interface that will handle units in multiple locations in the same hex...this is something that is on my to do list once I go 3D.

I was looking through the older threads BJ, and I want to say IMHO I would hate a 3D version, I like it as is, you may notice everybody wanted ASL mod instead of 3D chits. I'm not saying the call of duty crowd would prefer 2D chits, its just I think the game is better as is.

The updates Id recommend , is 2D chits with FirePower A-H and a number equivalent to ASL chits(or similar chits), and same for moral etc... I would make modules that mirror ASL modules, I would buy a bundle of ASL premade maps & scenarios(the community will no dought make these, but your in a position to have a tile-set to accompany your new Maps) , you could also Make a Mod yourself to transform all tiles in the Maps to a different theatre like the pacific, you could work on Multiplayer PBEM(Idont want to be connected, I want to think about my turn, so real-time MP connection isn't what I would want - Steel Panthers ww2 reworked SPWaW opfire and did automatic opfire, maybe you could add the options for part auto actions), I would not care for real-time Multiplayer but vassal players would do. I would create a scenario competition and prize. I would do rotating topdown AFVs(you don't have to rotate the chit, you replace with a new redrawn chit rotated).

you can already rest! you've made a great game! grogs want ASL stuff ,so don't deviate on some idea that 3D is better - there are lots of 3D games - and only a few available TotH type games, these are just some of my passing thoughts, just please please don't go 3D :(

I have not played battle academy for a while, but I don't remember multi-level buildings?

I made a multi-level game by creating 2 maps the same with all units on both maps , but units on level 1 on first map and units on level 2 on second map, then I did the moves or fired on both separate maps, and let the A.I. choose what map situation was better, it took no development time it was easy, I'm not saying you can do it in TotH, its just one approach.

PS: I found the configuration.ini file and changed windowed to yes, but it stays full-screen, can it be put in window-mode? because if it can you can use it on a windows tablet with virtual keyboard.


savatee

BJ

      You've done it! I bought it! I love it! I know this is only the beginning. Everybody get on the bandwagon. I said this game has a future and now I'm sure of it. Keep going!

Sava

bbmike

Uhhgg...shields down!....close to buying!.....  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak