Huge Matrix sale on Steam

Started by Rayfer, February 23, 2016, 01:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sir Slash

I got CW II and it's not that tough to get into. Getting good at it is something else. Lots of good videos to check-out with helpful tips and stuff you don't realize at first play. The tutorials helped me to get started without being overwhelmed by all the game info. Great strategy game.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

Thanks to all of you!  I'm going to take the plunge and buy both after all.  It's only unemployment until I get a few good games, THEN it becomes funemployment!

Seriuosly, I'm not sure if I'll end up ever understanding CW2, but since I don't have $80 to drop on War in the West at the moment but I do have the time to play a few games (for a change!), I figure I'll try it and see.  If CW2 proves too much for me, I'll just go back to Commander: The Great War and try playing as the Germans with no army and only investing in U-Boats...

mirth

Bit on Germany Reforged for Flashpoint Campaigns.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Hofstadter

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 25, 2016, 09:29:52 AM
Tempted by Pike and Shot at $24.  17th century warfare is something I know almost nothing about.

Minor-ish thing, but I really dislike that the units are not animated -- that your Tercios etc. don't actually deploy their pikes. The 'blocky' visual nature of the combatants is a bit of a turn off...

Fun fact, when i saw those pikes up, I didnt know they were pikes. I literally thought it was some kind of siege tower
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

jomni

Quote from: Hofstadter on February 25, 2016, 08:14:39 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on February 25, 2016, 09:29:52 AM
Tempted by Pike and Shot at $24.  17th century warfare is something I know almost nothing about.

Minor-ish thing, but I really dislike that the units are not animated -- that your Tercios etc. don't actually deploy their pikes. The 'blocky' visual nature of the combatants is a bit of a turn off...

Fun fact, when i saw those pikes up, I didnt know they were pikes. I literally thought it was some kind of siege tower

They were meant to represent period drawings.

sandman2575

I overall really like the art design of Pike and Shot. I just think the tactical battles are a little hampered by the somewhat clumsy unit animations (or lack thereof).

Cyrano

P&S is wonderful stuff -- I dare never criticize all but the worst efforts at portraying niche warfare and this is far from that! -- but, as has been said before, is made less by the lack of leaders that are part of the tabletop experience.  They were vital to the era and their absence is off-putting.

Oh, and the relatively quick turns makes this another example of PBEM++ getting in the way of better MP.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Martok

For better or worse, I've not picked up a single game in this sale.  All the games I *really* want, I already own; and all the games I somewhat want, I just can't see myself getting around to anytime soon -- if ever.  :-\ 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

Quote from: Martok on February 26, 2016, 11:32:30 AM
...all the games I somewhat want, I just can't see myself getting around to anytime soon -- if ever.  :-\ 

You should never let that stop you.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Father Ted

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 26, 2016, 09:21:16 AM
I overall really like the art design of Pike and Shot. I just think the tactical battles are a little hampered by the somewhat clumsy unit animations (or lack thereof).

I've played a few battles, and I find that I tend to think of the units as single entities, almost like chess pieces.  I think this is partly because of the lack of animation and partly because of the way they scoot across the "board" at 100 miles an hour.  I like the game, but like with a lot of PC games, I keep thinking, "Wouldn't it be great to blend the gameplay of X with the graphics of Y."

sandman2575

Quote from: Cyrano on February 26, 2016, 10:03:33 AM
but, as has been said before, is made less by the lack of leaders that are part of the tabletop experience.  They were vital to the era and their absence is off-putting.


Has there been talk of adding generals/leaders to the game? Agree that would be fantastic. The Roundheads without Cromwell seems, as you say, off-putting...

airboy

Quote from: Martok on February 26, 2016, 11:32:30 AM
For better or worse, I've not picked up a single game in this sale.  All the games I *really* want, I already own; and all the games I somewhat want, I just can't see myself getting around to anytime soon -- if ever.  :-\

Second.

I also bought a couple of games on the list three weeks ago when I finished a consulting job.

I have not played so many really excellent games that I already own that I cannot get motivated to buy more right now.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I didn't buy any either.  I was eyeing up the DC titles but then I looked at my desktop and realized I'd already dropped close to $275 on CMANO, WiTP, and Bombing the Reich and I've haven't played any of them nearly enough.  (Except Bombing the Reich.  Worst interface and performance ever.  What a terrible luck designed game!)

WallysWorld

Bought four campaign DLC's for Panzer Corps. That's about it.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!