Atlantic Fleet coming to Steam

Started by IronX, February 24, 2016, 01:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Barthheart

Hmmm... good idea... though I've never come close to using all the main gun ammo in a campaign.....

Redwolf

Quote from: IronX on February 24, 2016, 01:00:44 PM
In addition to the mobile version, you can soon grab it for PC/Mac on Steam. Coming in "February":

http://store.steampowered.com/app/420440/

I don't buy games anymore when the screenshots don't show the UI.

I can make pretty paintings myself.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on February 28, 2016, 11:41:39 AM

Unlike some of the other similar games, the way it's portrayed in Atlantic Fleet seems to be themed a bit closer to actual gun direction in WW2.  Simplified, of course.

  I'm still at the stage where the game seems pretty solid, if limited.  I really like how the fighting plays out.  You just really don't know what might happen.  Fore example in one scenario, Hipper jumps a convoy in bad weather.  Hipper hits a mechant ship and the two RN cruisers (on light and one heavy) promptly get hits on the Hipper since the range is close.  Hipper makes smoke and runs for it.  Not really what I was expecting, but still interesting.

  My only real gripe is that there's not more -- for example, US cruisers and DDs...or the French and Italians!

FlickJax

Quote from: MengJiao on February 29, 2016, 02:40:59 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 28, 2016, 11:41:39 AM

Unlike some of the other similar games, the way it's portrayed in Atlantic Fleet seems to be themed a bit closer to actual gun direction in WW2.  Simplified, of course.

  I'm still at the stage where the game seems pretty solid, if limited.  I really like how the fighting plays out.  You just really don't know what might happen.  Fore example in one scenario, Hipper jumps a convoy in bad weather.  Hipper hits a mechant ship and the two RN cruisers (on light and one heavy) promptly get hits on the Hipper since the range is close.  Hipper makes smoke and runs for it.  Not really what I was expecting, but still interesting.

  My only real gripe is that there's not more -- for example, US cruisers and DDs...or the French and Italians!

Italians in the Atlantic!!!! They barely left port

FlickJax

I have just sunk a freighter in the tutorial using one of my grandfathers ships the HMS Jervis, we are truly blessed with some of the games we are getting now.

I watched the freighter go down and I have to say I really like this game and i haven't even left the tutorial yet.

FarAway Sooner

I'm not going to purchase this game until they give me the option of fighting a German ship crewed by Nazi dinosaurs...

^-^

Nefaro

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 29, 2016, 04:29:49 PM
I'm not going to purchase this game until they give me the option of fighting a German ship crewed by Nazi dinosaurs...

^-^


"I always thought I'd die of alcohol poisoning."  ;D


Sir Slash

Was that from the Oscars last night? Which one was Chris Rock?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.


MengJiao

Quote from: FlickJax on February 29, 2016, 03:04:05 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on February 29, 2016, 02:40:59 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 28, 2016, 11:41:39 AM

Unlike some of the other similar games, the way it's portrayed in Atlantic Fleet seems to be themed a bit closer to actual gun direction in WW2.  Simplified, of course.

  I'm still at the stage where the game seems pretty solid, if limited.  I really like how the fighting plays out.  You just really don't know what might happen.  Fore example in one scenario, Hipper jumps a convoy in bad weather.  Hipper hits a mechant ship and the two RN cruisers (on light and one heavy) promptly get hits on the Hipper since the range is close.  Hipper makes smoke and runs for it.  Not really what I was expecting, but still interesting.

  My only real gripe is that there's not more -- for example, US cruisers and DDs...or the French and Italians!

Italians in the Atlantic!!!! They barely left port

Yeah, but you can sink the Roma with 2 different kinds of glide bombs (already in the game!).

Plus, its always nice to see the two French pocket-battleship-killers try to do their job!

Nefaro

The most screwy part is where subs start by default in the campaign.

When they run into each other, my U-boats have all begun the battle already lined up for good torpedo spreads at passing convoys/groups. 

I mean... 1st turn and you're spraying high probably hits, with enemy escorts having no prior chance of detecting any of them before the firing starts. 

Had a scenario last night with six Type VII U-boats attacking a convoy of ~12 freighters, a BB, a BC, and two DDs along for the ride.  Launched all fish on first turn, right at the start.  Easy shots.  Ended up being able to easily sink the battleship Warspite on turn 2, when the torpedoes arrived & before they even had time to react, despite it having destroyers in front & behind.  Also got three freighters. 

Then all I had to do in order to escape was spend the 3 turns it takes to dive to deepest possible sub depth and press the withdraw button.  DDs didn't even have time to reach my boats before they disappeared from the battle.

There is a "+20% start distance" option I may try, to see if it helps.  But I think the big problem is the location of the battle spawn for the subs.  They should probably be placed ahead of the convoy, and everyone be given time to maneuver into position & escorts to possibly detect them.

Considering subs are a huge part of this game, it's just another reason I think a new Pacific version would be far superior.  Despite cries from the "All Nazis, All The Time" bunch who complain about any WW2 game in which they cannot play them.  ::)


TL;DR: 

Battles with submarines have a set-up flaw in the open campaign.  Makes it far too easy to get insta-kills and escape.  OP.

Barthheart

You are talking about early war fights?

As the war progresses the convoys start to use "newer" tactics... more and better ASW escorts, zig-zag movements right from the start that won't let you fire and forget...etc.

Also not all sub placements are great. I've gotten lots with a 6 sub pack where 2 are ahead of the convoy one on either side about center and 2 at the rear. The rear ones almost never get any kills just too slow at periscope depth and surfacing is death.

A favourite tactic of mine is to only fire torps from one side of the convoy. Any kills will make the convoy veer in the other direction directly away from the attack.... directly into the other subs.

And always try to take out the escorts first then you can surface and gun the transports to save torps.

MengJiao

Quote from: Barthheart on March 01, 2016, 01:53:30 PM
You are talking about early war fights?

  I haven't done the campaign, but the individual battles can be pretty spectacular.  Why only a few days ago, Ramilles blew up both the Scharnhorst and the Gneisenau.  Apparently, 15-inch hits at 16,000 yrds on the forward magazines are instant death for those two.  Sounds plausible to me!

ArizonaTank

Excellent recommendation everyone.  Just bought.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Cyrano

Stunned how good this is for so little.

Want MP rather badly now...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806