Main Menu

People suck

Started by meadbelly, July 08, 2012, 02:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

meadbelly

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Police-Federal-Way-man-arrested-in-girlfriends-stabbing-death-161667065.html

Mindy was the niece of one of my closest friends. Mindy was born when Lynn was 20, and they have always been very close. Lynn is having a pretty hard time remembering her life from 20 til now, and processing what kind of life Mindy could have had.

I knew Mindy, but not well. I knew her mostly through Lynn. She was a prototypical teen. I don't think her life would have found the same path as Lynn's, but Mindy previously hadn't made too many bad choices that could determine her fate. She loved and was adored by her nieces, Lynn's two daughters.

I've met the dirtbag and shared a table with him. To my knowledge, it's my first murderer.

The article is about all the family knows. He had showed no signs of physical abuse or violence. Mindy had been rather in love with him, as much as a 20 year old can be. Dirtbag has clearly shown signs of possessiveness, and had begun a fairly complete process of cutting Mindy off from everyone but him. Mindy had actually broken up with him, and had even moved her stuff out of the trailer. But she had also been living with him for the last week or so. Everyone presumes the stabbing was his final act of control.

Not much of a message  or lesson learned here, but if we have any 20something lady grogheads lurking. . .

Well, nm. No groghead is going to be possessed or controlled by anyone.

Centurion40

That really does suck.  My heart goes out to the family.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Staggerwing

That is such an awful thing to have to pass on to us  :(. My sympathies to Lynn and Mindy's family, and to you. You may not have known Mindy well but it would follow that you still share in the pain of her passing through those that did know her. My prayers are with you all.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

That's terrible. I am sorry meadbelly.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Sad news indeed..  :(.

Martok

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 08, 2012, 02:09:45 PM
That is such an awful thing to have to pass on to us  :(. My sympathies to Lynn and Mindy's family, and to you. You may not have known Mindy well but it would follow that you still share in the pain of her passing through those that did know her. My prayers are with you all.
Staggerwing said it best, I think.  My condolences to all. 



"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Shelldrake

So sorry for you and Mindy's family. I hope the dirtbag gets what he deserves.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

LongBlade

Quote from: Shelldrake on July 08, 2012, 03:23:17 PM
So sorry for you and Mindy's family. I hope the dirtbag gets what he deserves.

+1

Sorry to read that, Meadbelly.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

That's awful news, meadbelly. While I realize, on an intellectual level, that there are monsters in the world, it never fails to shock and sadden me to learn of their horrible acts.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

meadbelly

Thanks all, and future respondents. It is good to be reminded of the vast numbers of people who do not suck.

I will be sure to pass along your thoughts and condolences to Lynn and her extended family. It will I imagine bring a similar relief to be reminded of how many good folks there are out there.

Parents, don't let your sons grow up to be dipshits. Make them game instead!

meadbelly

Quote from: mirth on July 08, 2012, 05:03:42 PM
That's awful news, meadbelly. While I realize, on an intellectual level, that there are monsters in the world, it never fails to shock and sadden me to learn of their horrible acts.

Yeah, I hear you. Intellectual knowledge is one thing -- and I don't mean to demean it in any way. But emotional "knowledge" or experience is felt at a profoundly different and in my mind impactful level.

Right now, my emotional knowledge is fast overriding my intellectual take on capital punishment. Fortunately, I also know at a very emotional level the hell that jail can be. There are few acts that more obviously state that the actor has put himself out of the community of mankind. He has chosen to reject society and as a society, we are under the obligation to ensure his continued exclusion.

GroggyGrognard

So sorry to hear meadbelly. Damn, if I still lived in the south Seattle area, I could have helped you kick the s**t out this dirtbag. It's scum like this that makes the rest of us men out there look bad.
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Arctic Blast

Damn, sorry to hear about that, meadbelly. My youngest sister ended up in a situation that probably could have ended like this many years ago, but luckily she got out the first time ANYTHING abusive happened.

Greybriar

My condolences to Melinda's family and friends.

I hope the individual responsible for her death gets what he deserves.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

meadbelly

Thanks again, everyone.

The dirtbag is to be formally charged today; there will be probably be some more info available to family, press, and public afterwards. Lynn's got enough going on without me bugging her for details, so I'm hopeful to learn some stuff from that.

My worry is that despite the news reports (which came straight from a police press release) that indicate the killer confessed to the crime onsite and to police, that once a lawyer gets involved, that might go out the door. I understand that's the job of any public or private defender, but a trial is not going to be good for the family. Not that it ever is.