LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.

Started by JasonPratt, November 02, 2015, 06:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

glen55

I pre-ordered it.  I don't buy on release day much these days, but the setting had me hooked hard, especially with the hints that there are strategy elements.

It unlocked right on the dot at 9 o'clock Pacific.  A middling-sized first-day patch, and then Ubiplay had to be patched, but I was in by 9:20 (I get about 3 mbps download speed).

The game gets off to a great start.  You are plopped down with a group of stone-age bros on a mammoth hunt, given some simple instructions on how to move and use your spear, and off she goes.  The mammoth hunt is a blast, and everything makes sense.  Your stony buds all do smart stuff but a lot of the tough mammoth-killing is down to you and your spear.

Within 20 or 30 minutes of the start, a bunch of stuff happens, and you are by yourself, tasked with reuniting the Wenja clan.  I haven't really played enough to grasp the full game yet, but combat is fun.  I like the feel of the bow maybe better than any other game I've played using archery, and melee has some heft to it as well.  I'm not deep into gathering and crafting yet, but so far it is well-integrated into the flow of the game.  I mean, it makes a lot of sense that a caveman is making his own clubs, more so than a lot of RPGs where fighters are making their own armor, etc.

Well, it was late when I started, so I only played a little more than an hour, but I really enjoyed the hour.  More later.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower



JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Shooting cavemen in the face with a bow and arrow is oddly satisfying.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


glen55

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2016, 12:27:33 PM
Shooting cavemen in the face with a bow and arrow is oddly satisfying.

Ha!  I think my favorite moment so far was when 3 cavemen started to bum-rush me from about 15-20 yards.  I popped the middle one right on the nose with an arrow, he went down with a thud, and before I could even pull out my club, the other two ran away!

Had to work til nearly midnight last night.   :-[  But I'm jonesing to play more.  Couldn't say whether the game has legs, but the first play session was much fun.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Tpek

So I'm assuming you're all enjoying it so far?
Opinions on Steam seem to indicate another bumbling release by Ubisoft.

Yskonyn

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 01, 2016, 11:26:29 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on March 01, 2016, 02:40:03 AM
You'll cave once we keep telling you that the beastmaster elements and the hunting (or being hunted) rocks your world and is not to be missed.

What you did there. I saw it.

Ah yes! But you failed to see the rock right next to it, didn't you? I hope you didn't stumble there ! :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on March 03, 2016, 07:46:11 AM
So I'm assuming you're all enjoying it so far?
Opinions on Steam seem to indicate another bumbling release by Ubisoft.

I don't see what could possibly be construed as "bumbling"...I purchased mine through GMG and have had no technical problems whatsoever with uplay, which I believe has been significantly refined.

Its a fun game. Not sure how much longevity it will have, but its definitely a nice change of pace.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18