Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game

Started by MetalDog, December 12, 2015, 06:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MetalDog

Somewhere around here, there is a middle finger smiley.  Until I find it, consider yourself answered :P
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Tuna

Quote from: MetalDog on March 02, 2016, 07:38:24 PM
Somewhere around here, there is a middle finger smiley.  Until I find it, consider yourself answered :P

O0

Martok

Quote from: Freyland on March 02, 2016, 01:15:16 PM
(that was how I first realized you were asleep)
Fantastic!  You can't make this stuff up.  :2funny: 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Hancock

Played Sid Meier Civ many years ago.  I just checked out some youtube trailers and plays for BtS....how does MP work and how long did it take you maniacs to ramp up to competent?
"Colonel, I do not care to die, but I pray to God I may never leave this field."

jamus34

Quote from: Hancock on March 04, 2016, 01:11:59 PM
Played Sid Meier Civ many years ago.  I just checked out some youtube trailers and plays for BtS....how does MP work and how long did it take you maniacs to ramp up to competent?
I'll let you know once I'm competent...
Insert witty comment here.

Millipede

Who said anything about competent? :2funny:

Actually, this is my 1st MP and it doesn't take long to adjust. My problem is that I don't like holding things up and when you're at war, turns take a looooong time. Mechanically, the way it works, actually there are a couple of ways, one of which is chosen in the game set-up. They are: 1)each player plays consecutively and the game notifies you when it's your turn to make your moves for the next turn. 2) all players make their moves simultaneously and the computer executes the turn once all orders are in. We initially started with option 1 and there was a lot of time spent waiting for all civs to get their orders in so we restarted with option 2 and it's a lot smoother... less waiting around.

Anyway, I was hesitant about trying MP and making a fool of myself and I now regret the time lost playing just solo. Jump on in, the waters fine and we'd love to have another maniac. ;)

One other problem is that Steam only accommodates a max of 4 human players for Civ IV Bts and I'm not sure if that's the case for Civ V. Since Civ V requires Steam, perhaps the MP side is optimized for more players.

Ha, I see Jamus beat me to it.   

Tuna

Quote from: Hancock on March 04, 2016, 01:11:59 PM
Played Sid Meier Civ many years ago.  I just checked out some youtube trailers and plays for BtS....how does MP work and how long did it take you maniacs to ramp up to competent?

We have all different levels of skill, and people always help you that you play with (At least that has been my experience here).Which version were you thinking of playing? There's usually great sales for both IV and V every month.. You should definitely get BTS for IV and both expansions for V if your looking to play.

Tuna

Also IV needs to be the Steam version..there is no longer MP support for versions pre-Steam..

Freyland

Speaking of demonstrating competency, we need another play-date.  How is Saturday night, guys?  I should be able to push that through the Guardian of the Game Barrier.

jamus34

We know who holds the system passwords there

I believe I am around this weekend / Sat and maybe I'll remain conscious for the whole session.
Insert witty comment here.

Freyland

Quote from: jamus34 on March 04, 2016, 02:25:03 PM
We know who holds the system passwords there
Yeah, it really has crossed the line from me being a good/helpful husband to excessively restricted.  I would love to know how Jarhead plays as much as he does with a wife, kid and career that should be as least as demanding as mine.  :tickedoff:

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

Millipede

The old retired fart is gonna screw things up... my whole Sat. is booked, by the time I get home you should both be asleep or called into the hospital.  ;)

jamus34

It's all good Roy.

Right now I feel like I'm Iceland vs the rest of Europe
Insert witty comment here.