Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

And I won't defend it, but it is important to note it is easily turned off in your screen saver settings. At least for now.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Huw the Poo

Haven't I explained enough times in this thread what an OS should be?  Should an OS be showing you adverts when you lock your screen?

OJsDad

Frankly, as much as MS has been bashed for years for not being innovative, I think this is pretty smart of them.  I don't know if it'll work, or if I'll like it, but I applaud them for trying something different.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Wes

Remember when we used computers for work with words and numbers and then fire up lazer thingies that went shoom shoom shoom...

Now we spend all day trying to defend ourselves from the operating system...TURN OFF YOUR SCREEN SAVERS MATES! - THEY'RE TRYING TO SNEAK WIN10 IN THROUGH IT. SET DEFAULT TO STUN AND PERFORM THE COCHRAN DECELERATION MANEUVER TO BLOCK THAT POP UP!

DAMN IT JIM, I'M A NERD, NOT A DEFENSIVE ENGINEER!

OH SHE'S COMING AROUND AGAIN CAP'N...BOOT LINUX NOW!

jesus...
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

FYI, the Windows 10 nagware was installed again on my Win 7 machine this weekend after installing some updates

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4c7s4o/psa_windows_update_is_attempting_to_install_the/

This time, I used the GWX Control Panel tool to remove it.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I'm very close to not installing any more updates from MS. This morning I saw more than a dozen new updates waiting to be installed. I'll have to go through each one to determine whether or not it is Win 10 crapware.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Huw the Poo

Hopefully this whole fiasco is making people think very seriously about why they continue with Windows at all.  Linux is a perfectly viable option (and free) and in terms of software people would have less to "sacrifice" than they think.

As a Linux gamer, I'm in the same boat now as I was when I used Windows: too many games, not enough time, and it "improves" all the time.  I currently have 298 games in my Steam library that are fully supported on Linux (out of more than an astonishing 1,900 available).  I'll never get around to them all.  I've said it before and I'll say it again: there's literally zero reason for me to use Windows, and it will never darken my hard drive again.

mirth

I doubt I will be a Windows user beyond Win7 (which is a very solid OS). I'll keep it installed as long as possible, but Microsoft has really pissed me off with all the Win 10 crap.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Only reason I put Linux on the back-burner as a primary OS for now it that I couldn't get any printers to work. The process was too convoluted for me and I frequently have a lot of stuff I need to print and scan.

Of course, I had OS X to fall back on...  ^-^
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

ArizonaTank

MS has gotten really aggressive with Win 7 hold outs like me.  A few days ago, I turned on my computer, and the "helpful" little Win Upgrade box had a count-down going.  59 min to upgrade...it kept counting down and there was no "off" button.  Finally I just started hitting everything, and eventually, found an "upgrade later" button.  Jerks...I am not impressed...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Staggerwing

I'm just counting the days until my computer-illiterate co-worker clicks on the nice friendly upgrade box on our shared Win7 system. She's already zeroed out the inventory twice on the new EMR/POS software I've been tasked with trying to get up and running...  forcing me to re-inventory everything each time. ::)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Huw the Poo

I received an irate email from a friend of mine the other day.  He'd left his laptop on while he went off to do something else, and when he came back he suddenly had Windows 10.  He's furious about it, and I can't say I blame him.