Order of Battle: World War II (previously Order of Battle: Pacific)

Started by steve58, June 02, 2016, 08:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

...surprised this hasn't been posted here yet.

Quote
Order of Battle fans, we have big news for you. The game previously known as Order of Battle: Pacific is being restructured into Order of Battle: World War II, a bigger project with a wider scope and the goal of featuring multiple fronts of World War II.

Order of Battle: Pacific is going to be split into three different products:

·         Order of Battle: World War II, featuring the bootcamp missions and the first mission of each DLC.

·         The Order of Battle: U.S. Pacific DLC, featuring the American Pacific campaign.

·         The Order of Battle: Rising Sun DLC, featuring the Japanese Pacific campaign.

Now hold on to your seats! Order of Battle WORLD WAR II will be available to everyone for free! It contains the bootcamp scenarios plus the first scenario of every DLC (including future ones), and they are completely free. You will be able to try the game, play several scenarios and decide if you'd like to buy the DLCs.

Important: if you own Order of Battle: Pacific you'll be given free keys for the two DLCs, Rising Sun and U.S. Pacific, plus any other DLC you already own!

That's not all: in order to unlock the fully-featured editor and every single faction in multiplayer only a single DLC purchase is needed!

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1955/Order.of.Battle.goes.global!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bbmike

Well, I was still holding on to my seat and that's why I couldn't post it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

steve58

Well, I kinda meant I'm surprised no one from Matrixgames/Slitherine had posted yet.  The big thing that stood out to me was

"Order of Battle WORLD WAR II will be available to everyone for free! It contains the bootcamp scenarios plus the first scenario of every DLC (including future ones), and they are completely free. You will be able to try the game, play several scenarios and decide if you'd like to buy the DLCs."

This is very similar to the Panther Games/Command Ops pricing model.  Just wondering if Matrixgames/Slitherine will be offering up more games under the same model down the road?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Shelldrake

Very attractive marketing model that allows one to demo the game. Remember demos?  :P
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Although on the surface the Command Ops seems good, something about it still makes me hesitate....if I want all the content they have in DLC, its like $160+ to purchase them all....I know that I don't have to buy them all, but I typically go all in.  Plus, I am waiting to see what really happens when a new major version comes out and how much it will cost to re-purchase all the DLC yet again, which some of it I have already purchased 2-3 times.

However, I do love the demo aspects of it....so I remain conflicted.  Its a shame since that likely is the game I should be playing much more than I actually do.

jomni

Quite sad they are leaving the Pacific. Even with that Finland DLC. Goes to show not a lot like PTO games.

Darth Holliday

I was actually planning to purchase Order of Battle: Pacific  this weekend...Does this mean I should wait...??   ???

Swatter

I think they have a good system, but their scenario design needs lots of work. They needed to focus on making each scenario a campaign in itself, but instead they tried to replay individual battles and this resulted in lots of scripting (not to mention it doesn't really fit with the system). I was much more impressed with their generic island invasion tutorial scenario than I was with the campaign scenarios themselves.

Crossroads

Quote from: jomni on June 02, 2016, 05:19:23 PM
Quite sad they are leaving the Pacific. Even with that Finland DLC. Goes to show not a lot like PTO games.

The lack of interest in most things Pacific is sad indeed  :-\

Maybe not enough epic tank battles for the great public? I don't know.

Hooray for Winter War DLC though.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

berto

Quote from: jomni on June 02, 2016, 05:19:23 PM
Quite sad they are leaving the Pacific. Even with that Finland DLC. Goes to show not a lot like PTO games.

With the initial game and two DLCs -- especially with the Morning Sun (mainland China) DLC -- the OOB series has gone much farther than any PTO game series before it.  I have no reason to suppose (just a guess, I have no insider knowledge) that OOB: Pacific has been anything less than a success.  It's just that they see Greener Pastures in WWII Europe.  That doesn't mean that "not a lot like PTO games".  Maybe a lot like PTO games, and have purchased this game, and its DLCs.  (I have.)  It's just a whole lot more like ETO games.  It's all relative.

Anyway, we shouldn't be surprised if the Artistocrats return to the PTO and offer new DEI & Burma DLCs in future.  Maybe even an Operation Downfall DLC.  We shall see.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Greybriar

There is a thread about Order of Battle: Pacific on the Matrix forums that might be enlightening.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Adherbal

QuoteAnyway, we shouldn't be surprised if the Artistocrats return to the PTO and offer new DEI & Burma DLCs in future.  Maybe even an Operation Downfall DLC.  We shall see.

A campaign about the British in south-east asia is planned for some time in the future. And possibly a China-centered campaign as well.

Aside from the fact that the European theatre is simple more commercially interesting however, it's also a relief for us to work on something different. It's now about 4 years ago since we started the development of Pacific and I can tell you, working on this on pretty much a daily base, it's a very welcome change to do something (slightly) different with the upcoming European campaigns  :)


QuoteI was actually planning to purchase Order of Battle: Pacific  this weekend...Does this mean I should wait...??

If you are planning to get both of the main Pacific campaigns anyway, there is no real point in waiting. Once the rebranding from Pacific to WW2 comes up - in form of a downloadable patch - the combined cost of these two campaigns as DLCs will be the same as the Pacific game is now.

Crossroads

So what about the Winter War DLC. Should I wait for it, and for the WWII engine, or how is it panning out?

PS Any word on that boardgame look there was a screenshot out at the Matrix forum a good while ago :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Darth Holliday

Quote from: Adherbal on June 04, 2016, 01:52:33 PM
QuoteAnyway, we shouldn't be surprised if the Artistocrats return to the PTO and offer new DEI & Burma DLCs in future.  Maybe even an Operation Downfall DLC.  We shall see.

A campaign about the British in south-east asia is planned for some time in the future. And possibly a China-centered campaign as well.

Aside from the fact that the European theatre is simple more commercially interesting however, it's also a relief for us to work on something different. It's now about 4 years ago since we started the development of Pacific and I can tell you, working on this on pretty much a daily base, it's a very welcome change to do something (slightly) different with the upcoming European campaigns  :)


QuoteI was actually planning to purchase Order of Battle: Pacific  this weekend...Does this mean I should wait...??

If you are planning to get both of the main Pacific campaigns anyway, there is no real point in waiting. Once the rebranding from Pacific to WW2 comes up - in form of a downloadable patch - the combined cost of these two campaigns as DLCs will be the same as the Pacific game is now.

   Thanks...Ill grab it tonight...