Any Age of Wonders 3 Experts?

Started by Boggit, June 15, 2016, 09:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Boggit

I've been playing this for a bit now, but keep getting hammered from about turn 95-130 with Halfling armies that seem to spawn really super tough tier 4 armies. These tier 4 troops are manageable in small numbers but the AI seems to be spamming them, and your whole strategy just end ups being a race to build tier 4 units. My Orc empire which was doing so well has crumbled and burned (as did my Draconian one) to this approach by the AI.

So has anyone played this, had the same issue and still won?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bob48

I've played it a lot, and I have the same issue with it. Race to highest tier units seems to be what its all about, which is a great pity, because otherwise. its a very pretty game.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Yeah it's a very common complaint. Don't remember if I have ever won a campaign.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Quote from: bob48 on June 16, 2016, 06:45:40 AM
I've played it a lot, and I have the same issue with it. Race to highest tier units seems to be what its all about, which is a great pity, because otherwise. its a very pretty game.

+1   This a fun series with lots of excellent aspects, but it always seemed to me that in all of their games the AI cheated by spamming large numbers of high level armies and much quicker than I could ever make them.

Huw the Poo

This is one of the reasons I was bitterly disappointed with AoW3.  I doubt I'll ever go back to it. :/

Greybriar

Quote from: bob48 on June 16, 2016, 06:45:40 AM
I've played it a lot, and I have the same issue with it. Race to highest tier units seems to be what its all about....

+1 That was the reason I quit playing Age of Wonders III. Very disappointing. :(
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Boggit

Thanks guys. That doesn't bode well then.

If it is such a turn off for players - and it seems a common issue, I wonder why the devs haven't created an update to fix it, make it optional, or at least tone down the tier4 production? Sad, as it is a very attractive game otherwise. :(
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Silent Disapproval Robot

Seems to me it got worse with the DLC rather than better.  I won a few campaigns with the base game.  I tried the halfling campaign a half dozen times or more once that DLC came out and got spanked pretty badly every time.


bob48

I think what would have been a much better solution is to have given any type of unit the ability to 'train' up to higher tiers, rather than limit it to just one specific unit type. This is one reason why I keep going back to Warlock II as it handles unit development in a far better way.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Huw the Poo

No pumpkins in AoW3 either, eh Bob? :D

bbmike

Wow, I'm surprised at all of the negative comments. I haven't played AoW3 in quite a while but most of what I read elsewhere is very positive. It's 75% off at GoG right now, certain worth it at that price.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Silent Disapproval Robot

I still like it.  I just can't win a scripted campaign to save my life.

bob48

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 16, 2016, 03:13:53 PM
No pumpkins in AoW3 either, eh Bob? :D

Which is an even bigger issue :-))
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bob48

Quote from: bbmike on June 16, 2016, 03:17:16 PM
Wow, I'm surprised at all of the negative comments. I haven't played AoW3 in quite a while but most of what I read elsewhere is very positive. It's 75% off at GoG right now, certain worth it at that price.

Oh yes, its not a bad game by any means, and worth buying in a sale. I have found it more fun to play with a random map etc.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Greybriar

GOG is selling the Age of Wonders III: Deluxe Edition for 75% off, or $8.79 U.S. which is a lot cheaper than the $44.99 I paid two years ago.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.