USN Fires on Boat in Persian Gulf

Started by LongBlade, July 16, 2012, 04:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

The Puss

Quote from: LongBlade on July 17, 2012, 04:31:51 PM
Fair enough.

FWIW, I think the crew of the ship was civilian.

Apologies LB, I was in one hell of a mood yesterday and felt bad about my post. Shit happens and common sense seems to be a rare commodity in the current world today so I now see where those USN sailors were coming from.
Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant
Si vis pacem, para bellum

LongBlade

Quote from: The Puss on July 18, 2012, 02:31:29 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 17, 2012, 04:31:51 PM
Fair enough.

FWIW, I think the crew of the ship was civilian.

Apologies LB, I was in one hell of a mood yesterday and felt bad about my post. Shit happens and common sense seems to be a rare commodity in the current world today so I now see where those USN sailors were coming from.

No worries. I wasn't offended. There was the slight possibility that proper procedures weren't followed - that thought hadn't even passed through my mind. I assumed we did the right thing. Glad that was the case, too, but your point was well taken.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

^You insensitive ethnocentric bastard.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2012, 04:30:49 PM
^You insensitive ethnocentric bastard.

I am known for that.

And my smoked judo chops. Best this side of the West Virginia line!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

pawelj

Quote from: LongBlade on July 17, 2012, 04:08:37 PM
Quote from: Martok on July 17, 2012, 03:30:47 PM
Damn.  Apparently someone is lying through their teeth.

Gee. I wonder who? The world's finest naval force or some dumbass fishermen?
You mean dumbass fishermen, smelling compensation and coming from a region where honesty is on the rare side.
Tough choice. NOT!!!
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

Jarhead0331

Quote from: pawelj on July 20, 2012, 07:23:47 AM

You mean dumbass fishermen, smelling compensation and coming from a region where honesty is on the rare side.
Tough choice. NOT!!!

Listen dude...I know where you're coming from, but lets think about this for a second.  There is no sense in seeking compensation if you're dead. Even a dumba$$ fisherman knows that.  So if these guys purposely operated their boat in a suspicious manner and they did not have harmful intent, then it had to be just a dumb mistake.  Besides, since when are Indians known for their dishonesty?  Seriously, all the Indians I know are very bright, very successful and very hard working.

Just my .02.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mirth

^I think the statements from the fisherman that they were fired upon without warning may be an attempt to cover for their dumb mistake and perhaps gain some compensation in the process. I don't think that has to do with anyone's particular nationality. If you screw up that badly the tendency of most people is to cover your ass.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on July 20, 2012, 08:41:37 AM
^I think the statements from the fisherman that they were fired upon without warning may be an attempt to cover for their dumb mistake and perhaps gain some compensation in the process. I don't think that has to do with anyone's particular nationality. If you screw up that badly the tendency of most people is to cover your ass.

I don't know what their motive was, but I'm glad nobody on our side was hurt. I don't really care about them. There are exactly zero people I know who are surprised because a boat got too close to one of our ships and was fired upon.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.