Quick question about complexity of a few titles

Started by acctingman, July 18, 2016, 09:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

acctingman

Solo play only. Not sure why, but I've never got into MP (minus my MMO days, but I had a guild I ran around with for 14 yrs in various games)

I'll take a look at Squad Battles. I like the CS because it has all the theaters in one game.

Richie61

Very true about JTCS having it all. Just remember the scale of SB and JTCS are different.

Squad Battles game scale is 40 meter hexes and 5 minute turns. Units are normally at the squad and single vehicle level.

JTCS game scale is 6 minute turns and 250 meter hexes. Units are Company and Platoon sizes.

You might want to look at Panzer Battles too.
http://www.johntillersoftware.com/PanzerBattles/BattlesOfNormandy.html
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Boggit

Richie, I love SB too. Let me know if you're up for a game.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

IIRC not all of the Squad Battles series has graphical units.  Some do, others just have the counters with pixel art on them.

Even in those that have JTCS style imitation-3D representations, the 2D map is made to look like it's at an angle.  Which looks terrible and makes the hexes look stretched sideways.


I've enjoyed the Squad Battle games, despite some minor complaints, but I've always played them in 2D mode with the counters+art.  Whereas, with JTCS, I always use the "3D" view (with pixel units at the closest zoom layer).


acctingman

Going to wait until I see the JTCS on sale and snatch it up.

Thanks to all for the info

Strela

Quote from: acctingman on July 19, 2016, 10:37:13 AM
Do all the JT games have the option to show the unit instead of the Nato like counters? I know JTCS does, but is that option available in Panzer Battles and Squad Battles?

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions

Panzer Battles has three different counter types that can be changed on the fly;


Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat