Main Menu

RimWorld?

Started by steve58, November 01, 2013, 04:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

Just bought it. Looks like the learning curve might be a bit steep.  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jamus34

This has been on my radar for a looooonnnnggg time but $30 USD is a bit steep for me right now. Might need to wait until August to pick it up.

In a lot of ways it reminds me of prison architect.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jamus34 on July 15, 2016, 04:54:14 PM
This has been on my radar for a looooonnnnggg time but $30 USD is a bit steep for me right now. Might need to wait until August to pick it up.

In a lot of ways it reminds me of prison architect.

Graphically it looks almost exactly like PA. Its hard to believe they are two separate games from two separate developers.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bbmike

Having fun so far!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

-budd-

I'll pick it up when it hits a sale, i'm resolving to play some of the games i already own...at least until the holiday sale. If i recall correctly i remember reading that some stuff was borrowed from PA with their permission.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

steve58

FYI:  Seems to be a problem with some key fraud.  Careful where you buy...

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/173206/rimworld-steam-key-fraud-halted
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

JasonPratt

Meanwhile on the game itself; my favorite review from Steam so far:

QuoteAt the start of my game, I picked up a wanderer named Big. The man was a huge slab of muscle, and looked like the man who could get stuff done. Except... he couldn't. The poor guy was too clumsy for his own good, except when it came to his hands and his eyes. All he could do was be a warden, handle animals, hunt, and make art.

When I first saw him I was horrified at how useless he seemed. I built a small shack into the mountain with a small carving bench for him to spend the rest of his days just to be rid of him. However, Jude saw something I didn't. She saw a man with a heart of gold, even if he wasn't the best or the brightest bulb of the bunch. They started hanging out, and eventually Big, or Jude (not entirely sure which) popped the question. Jude was my main gal, I had given her the best of the best, and she earned it. She did everything in the long hours of the night while everyone else slept, and only took her rest as everyone else woke up. But she seemed to do all their work by herself.

Tragedy struck, raids happened, and soon enough there were just 4 people out of 8, in the dead of winter, forced to cannibalize those who fell in raids. However, even after being infected with Sensory Mechanites, forced to endure excruciating pain, and watch her friends die, Jude didn't break. She appreciated those nights with Big and the art he had made. The others did too, seeing hope in the art carved into grains of wood.

Winter ended, things were looking good, until a raid blindsided them while Big was on a hunt (even though he wasn't able to lift the kill, his aim was great enough that he was the safest hunter). Big went down, but he was a fighter and held on. He watched as his friends, NO, his family held off the raiders with the help of turrets Jude had made. 1, 2 went down. The third decided to cut their losses and ran home, but not without grabbing Big first. The others fought to save him, but none could quite match his skill with a gun.

The raiders called for a trade, silver for him. Sadly, they had just used the last of their silver to finish sterilizing the hospital floor. With heavy hearts, they were forced to decline the trade. Not even a day later, they got the news. Big died of infection from his injuries, not quite able to hold on as they scraped together every scrap of silver they could to try and save him.

This was the tale of the witling watcher. (He usually carved in the prisoner room, and watched the prisoners while doing so.

And thats the tale of how I save scummed for the first time ever for a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ pawn.

(The bold at the end was original to the review. :D )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

kludger

Looks fun but at $30 it's above my threshold for Indy titles that I'm not sure I will get hooked on...

Going to wait and see if it goes on a sale sometime, although the good stories I see are definitely going to tempt me.

bbmike

So far I really like this game. And it looks like there are a lot of options to make it interesting and increase replayability. This game draws you in and before you know it an hour or two have passed. Well worth it at $30 IMO but I understand those wanting to wait, especially just after a Steam Summer Sale.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

I bought this direct from the the developer back when UCG was writing these little AARs:
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=14439.0

Now it's on Steam I was able to get a Steamkey from the dev's website. Still fun and bizarre at the same time. Great for generating wacky scifi stories.


solops

I looked this over today. It looks interesting. How has it developed? Is it still developing? Any good?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

Yskonyn

The sole fact that you can travel the whole planet now instead of being confined to your map is a huge game changer.  O0
I find the game very fun and a good challenge.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

 ;D   :DD

"Randy sends cargo pods full of milk" must be a double entendre.   :2funny:


solops

This game has been out for a while now and has "overwhelmingly positive" Steam reviews. BUT...what is the Grog conclusion?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

al_infierno

I think it's a great game if you're into Dwarf Fortress style base management games with a sci fi twist.  The temperature mechanics are a really nice change of pace from the usual norm, though there's no elevation levels so no multi-story or underground bases.  There are a lot of really cool features like bionics, drug addiction, interpersonal relationships, etc.  Also, you can play as a real monster and do stuff like have a The Road-esque cannibal camp with human prisoners to provide for meat.  Like Crusader Kings, being a horrible person is somewhat encouraged by the mechanics, and thus the meme culture around the game heavily revolves around crimes against humanity, but despite that you can still thrive and do well by playing a colony of decent human beings if that's how you roll.

One time I had a random NPC wander into my camp during the night and try to steal food from my freezer.  I woke up my guys and had them subdue the intruder and take him prisoner.  I built a makeshift prison to hold him while I planned to befriend him and have him join our camp (as opposed to the alternatives, such as starving him and breaking his will through abuse).  Anyway, the next night he breaks free from his prison and tries to run.  One of my colonists took an automatic shotgun and casually stepped onto the porch of the main town building, and let loose a volley of buckshot in the direction of the escaping prisoner.  The guy got his right arm shot off and was bleeding heavily.  My colonist with the shotgun simply reloaded and went back to bed.  I thought this was a pretty funny turn of events, so I let the AI take its course and handle the dying prisoner as they deemed fit.  They let him slowly bleed out through the night, and at sunrise he was still alive in a pool of blood next to his severed arm.  That's when I decided it went a bit too far and mercy killed him.

In any case, I easily could have handled that situation a good bit more ethically, or with a lot more war crimes. 
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.