"Feeling Old" 2016 Edition

Started by BanzaiCat, January 26, 2016, 02:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 01, 2016, 12:59:04 PM
I'm old enough to remember the first M. They only had about four music videos at the time that they played on endless loop.

That's the way it was and we liked it!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Speaking of feeling old.  Weekend before last, my wife and I attended the wedding of my nephew who was but a bun in the oven at our wedding. :(  As we have no begats, I can only imagine what you GWKs (Grogs with Kids) feel when one of yours leaves the nest.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 01, 2016, 12:59:04 PM
I'm old enough to remember the first M. They only had about four music videos at the time that they played on endless loop.

I remember Night Flight, on USA channel (IIRC). Back then there was little stylistic or thematic consistent. One minute they played Eddy Grant, the next it was Adrian Belew.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

I remember Night Flight.  But does anybody remember the video show that was on Nickelodeon?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bbmike

I remember Night Tracks on TBS.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Up All Night?



THOSE 90s GRAPHICS THO

panzerde

I had completely forgotten that "Up All Night" existed. As soon as I saw the picture though I remembered...remembered too many nights when I really should have been asleep and probably considerably more sober!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

BanzaiCat

What you said reminds me of Joe Bob Briggs' MonsterVision. For me, anyway.


Sir Slash

Those were great shows back in the day after the bars closed and the drunks left the Clock restaurants to go home. They somehow were a lot more funny when you were drinking. Hmmmm....
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

I remember watching this interview on closed circuit TV in Garmisch when we lived in post housing there, and we were out of range of AFN.  The kids going to Munich High used to bring home the previous night's AFN tape and whoever was watching the desk at the Kramer Lodge for the night was responsible for popping the tape in and letting it run for 6 hours.  So everyone got the same six hours of last night's AFN from 1800-midnight on their closed circuit channel in post housing.

[yt]https://youtu.be/W-Kb2NY_0LU[/yt]
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: MetalDog on August 01, 2016, 06:30:21 PM
I remember Night Flight.  But does anybody remember the video show that was on Nickelodeon?

It was called 'Popclips' and predated MTV by six or so months.


http://mentalfloss.com/article/54929/11-nickelodeon-shows-80s-you-may-have-forgotten
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

26 years ago yesterday Iraq invaded Kuwait.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

panzerde

Quote from: Gusington on August 03, 2016, 10:01:33 AM
26 years ago yesterday Iraq invaded Kuwait.


The thing that blows me away about that is that it's now been longer between now and the beginning of the first Gulf War than it was between Germany invading Poland and when I was born. The idea that the First Gulf War is as far in the past to kids today as WWII was to me...amazing.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres