Draft Day College Football 2017 Announced

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 15, 2016, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Just received an announcement stating the makers of PFS Pro Football is now working on a college version of the game.....although big sports fan and usually buy all types of games, wasn't real impressed with the professional version (had potential) but hopefully they will greatly improve this version, especially for single player.  Disappointed that they are moving on to college without really getting the pro version ironed out first.

http://www.wolverinestudios.com/2016/06/15/wolverine-studios-announces-draft-day-sports-college-football-2017/

Grim.Reaper

Quick blog update with a graphic of their new UI....

http://www.wolverinestudios.com/2016/08/15/first-look-draft-day-sports-college-football-2017/

Developer also indicated game is basically done and has two rounds of testing to complete and then ready for release....no ETA though.  If I had to guess, has to be close to start of the college season where excitement is the greatest.  No information on actual features (although you can tell some from screen shot), but I am still cautious until I see how the single player experience has been improved.  It appears all fiction setup as I guess to be expected with licensing concerns.

Fingers crossed it actually turns out well since I could use a good college game....

Nefaro

Isn't this still using the PFS-derived system, under the hood?

PFS, and the more recent DDS:Pro Football, has great potential.  But it's still got some parts that need more tweaking.  The AI position lineups were always a mess, for example. 

However, I also thought the game outcome stats in PFS were quite believable.  Often more so than FOF.  So I'm hoping the system is constantly being improved unlike other titles such as Football Mogul.  Which has been practically untouched for many years but keeps getting released annually.  Please DDS football, keep improving.  Because you can get gud.  ;)

Grim.Reaper

Yes, it's based on the pfs version but this is first time they attempted a college version so it's a little of a mystery especially with the recruiting part of the game.  Me being skeptical thinks it won't improve much, but I hope to be wrong.  Most stats in the pro game was believable although I remember the kicking stats were a little off and your running back could get 500 plus carries which is extreme.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 17, 2016, 04:50:04 AM
Yes, it's based on the pfs version but this is first time they attempted a college version so it's a little of a mystery especially with the recruiting part of the game.  Me being skeptical thinks it won't improve much, but I hope to be wrong.

I hope so too!  Even if we're not getting one for Pro ball yet.

QuoteMost stats in the pro game was believable although I remember the kicking stats were a little off and your running back could get 500 plus carries which is extreme.

The RB getting so many carries is part of the AI's depth chart management issues.  It uses the best player for a position, all the time.  No accounting for fatigue, possible injury, etc.  All your starting Off/Def players will also be on the special teams too, for example.  Think I even had my QB on a special team before.  *facepalm* 

They also needed to make the playbook selection UI much easier.  Not sure if they started doing that in the move from PFS to DD, but it also had a ways to go.  It was just one big long list that the AI would randomly pick a list from within the parameters of your set game plan.  Sounds just fine, but there was at least one problem with having too many of a certain type of play in the default list.  Most notably there being numerous Reverse plays which would end up being called far more, in each game, than they should've been.  I'd regularly see 2-6 Reverse plays called every game and, of course, they were nearly always crap results. 

Easy fix for that was creating your own custom play list, to remove some extra plays you thought were being called too much.  But you had to go through the whole default list and add each play one-by-one, and couldn't go back to remove any once you had begun.  So tossing your list and starting over was sometimes a necessity.  Needed more UI work in that department, although I thought DDS:PF listed it as one of the things to be worked on in the future..?


Grim.Reaper

we'll see how it turns out....will need to do a lot of reading before I invest in this series again.....

Grim.Reaper

They added ability to coach within the game while you view 2d action on the field (pro game you just watched a replay).....maybe they might surprise me yet:)

A little while ago they mentioned at least a month away and possibly longer, but goal is to release before college season is over...so that basically means between now and January:)

http://www.wolverinestudios.com/2016/09/03/coaching-draft-day-sports-college-football-2017/

glen55

I'll read some reactions before buying, but unless it's a flaming pile of crap I'll be giving it a shot. There's not much competition if you're a CFB fanatic.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Grim.Reaper

One of the good things about this company, they always release demos so we can try before we buy.

GJK

I picked up Bowl Bound....it's $5 on sale on Steam.  The program stuff before the season starts is pretty good; recruiting, picking your red-shirts, O and D set ups, etc. but playing the games themselves is as much fun as trimming my toenails.  Actually, I get more enjoyment from trimming my toenails. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Grim.Reaper

To be honest in this career sims I don't really like controlling the games themselves, I prefer to think myself as the GM/Recruiters and such...would rather come up with the team, hire the right coaches, and let them do their thing:)  So even though this college game added play calling, still not as important to me as the rest of the stuff but at least shows me they are advancing the game beyond what the pro game had to offer.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2016, 06:32:02 AM
To be honest in this career sims I don't really like controlling the games themselves, I prefer to think myself as the GM/Recruiters and such...would rather come up with the team, hire the right coaches, and let them do their thing:)  So even though this college game added play calling, still not as important to me as the rest of the stuff but at least shows me they are advancing the game beyond what the pro game had to offer.

Same.

I auto-resolve the games, in GM sims, letting the digital AI coaches take care of the in-game calls.  Keeps your career mode challenging too.  Long term GM'ing, and overall team strategy, lends more sense of accomplishment in these text sims IMO.  Otherwise, may as well just go play some Madden on a console if just doing an individual game or season. *shrug*

Grim.Reaper

Release date November 20th.....hope it turns out well!

Grim.Reaper


Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 17, 2016, 06:35:12 PM
Release date November 20th.....hope it turns out well!

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 17, 2016, 08:19:13 PM
Just FYI...will be $34.99....


You going to be our guinea pig, Grim?    ^-^