Multiplayer on 7 Days to Die

Started by Swatter, August 30, 2015, 02:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

Quote from: -budd- on September 04, 2016, 11:57:50 AM
JP they did slow the skill progression. You sure it wasn't the 84 horde?

It would be the first 84 day horde I've ever seen with no special zombies at all, only the plain vanilla walkabouts. And not on Day 84 (which at this late date is less decisive, I know), nor at night (but rather mid afternoon). Nor with a scream announcing a horde per se.

I suppose it might have been a leftover early week horde still wandering around?  :-\
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

hordes come without special zombies, no ferals or cops in our last horde, i think it was 63
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

In the early afternoon? I've had them last until morning (and even later) of course, but starting in early afternoon? I sure don't recall that -- but y'all have been through a lot more of them than I have.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Naw, probably a wandering horde not the 7 day horde. Wandering hordes trip by every so often.

OJ- did some hunting and mining. Bagged 9 pigs, 5 deer, 2 chickens and 2 bears, they were every where. Funny i only got 2 meat from the bear. mining was pretty good also that mine is great, got about 600 lead and a bunch of other ore. Almost done with the lake house upgrade just the upper part and roof to do.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

jomni

#919
Looks like guys are having fun. Is this game good? The reviews are bad but users seem to love it.
Are technical issues still around?

I've only played DayZ and while I liked it, it seems to be quite a slow game. Maybe this one is more fun with lots to do.

-budd-

It's an alpha so there are some niggles and gliches, but more so irritating then game breaking. SP is stable, multi we run into desyncing issues the most, can't get into chests, map glitches, holes, stuff like that, not that often and rejoining usually fixes it. Is it fun, yea I think so, depends on what you like In these game types. There's always something to build, some area to explore or something to loot for something you need or mining for resources to build.You can base up or survive hand to mouth while moving about the map both are fun ways to play. It's changed a lot since I started in alpha 5 and alpha 15 looks huge with a bunch of new stuff. The game could use some new zombie types and more POI's, which are coming In alpha 15. There can be a bit of a grind in the mining and crafting and the POI's and Z's are a bit limited right now. I describe it as a first person, exploring,crafting, tower defense, survival zombie game.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

ArizonaTank

#921
Quote from: jomni on September 05, 2016, 10:32:42 AM
Looks like guys are having fun. Is this game good? The reviews are bad but users seem to love it.
Are technical issues still around?

I've only played DayZ and while I liked it, it seems to be quite a slow game. Maybe this one is more fun with lots to do.

I think the longevity of this thread speaks to the attraction of the game.  For me, its usually all about building a better base, one that can survive increasingly strong zombie attacks.  Think about all those medieval castles and the tricks they used. 

There is also a bit of survivalism and exploration thrown in for good measure.  The game is very stable, has few noticeable glitches (IMHO).  The game can be harsh if you don't concentrate on getting into a protected shelter with enough food, warmth and water quickly.  If you decide to play, I highly recommend you take a look at a "tutorial" video.  There are plenty on Youtube.

I think I paid $20 for it two years ago, and have gotten huge entertainment value from it.  Best $20 I ever spent on Steam.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

-budd-

here's a front shot of the highrise base in Hub City.




here's a shot right before budd dies :D


i was on the wall, jumped down to repair the door before they broke in, next time bring steel or iron duh.

It was a very big horde, many ferals. OJ it wasnt quite finished when you logged off, 3 or 4 more ferals and some of his buddies and some more down below. Didn't clear until 15:00, then started to repair. You'll see the hole I repaired, a big canyon. i didnt get near done with repair, lots more to do.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

jomni

#923
Ok I have viewed some videos. Very intriguing game indeed.  It's like "Minecraft" with a purpose. And a lot more action than DayZ.  I guess the bad reviews from 2 years ago are outdated with all the changes.

Edit:  I got the game.  Can I join you guys?  But of course I'm in a different timezone.

Rekim

7DTD has changed a lot over the last two years. Reviews older than 6 month won't tell you much about the game in its current state, which is just about to change again with a pending major update (alpha version 15).

I don't typically play FPS or zombie themed games, but am a huge fan of 7DTD. The only risk to trying it, Jomni, is that it can become a huge time sink if you happen to take to it. I've logged ~600 hours over the last year since I purchased it, which is right off the charts compared to the rest of my library.

ArizonaTank

#925
Quote from: jomni on September 05, 2016, 08:10:17 PM
Ok I have viewed some videos. Very intriguing game indeed.  It's like "Minecraft" with a purpose. And a lot more action than DayZ.  I guess the bad reviews from 2 years ago are outdated with all the changes.

Edit:  I got the game.  Can I join you guys?  But of course I'm in a different timezone.

Yes, come join us.  Here is the server info:

You will have to look for it under the Modded Server tab.  The default tab will not get you there.

The name: "Unofficial Grog Invitational".   

Password is "CambronneMerde!"

Don't worry about the timezone difference.  I am US West coast time, so am rarely on with the others.  What this means is that you can use someone else's base while they are not on, help build up the barricades etc.  Or you can go it alone...occasionally visiting the others in the big city.  The game allows you to share some map info...but you have to on when they are on.  Often it's better just to get actual map coordinates off this thread. 

In this game, I am pathetic...scrounging around in the woods.  But Budd has a huge base to look at the screen grab.  I'm sure he can set you up with a good "starter kit".

BTW, one thing that might throw you off until you have a "base," is the fact that whenever someone is on the server, the clock is running.  So if someone logs off at 2100 hours and you log in next, it will be night for you.  Not so much of a problem once you have taken up residence in a base.  But if you are a new character starting out, it may cause problems.  If this happens, don't panic.  The game sets up a safe zone for new players logging in.  You should be good until daylight, just don't go very far or you will leave the zone. So that first night might be boring.  Set your torch on the ground or a tree.  Build a shovel and dig a hole.  I would stay away from buildings until daylight since they likely are infested.  The Zeds run at night.

Once you have a "base" just make certain you are in it, or other secure position when you log off. 

Still, it might be a good idea to play your own "local" game for a while.  The server is set to be somewhat difficult.  That way you can turn down difficulty and practice your survival skills before you come onto multi-player.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

jomni

Well I joined and I kept getting killed. :D

Rekim

The Grogheads server is set to 'hard'. I'd suggest figuring out the ropes with a single player game or two. SP mode is fun too, so not a big compromise if you spend some time playing solo.

-budd-

By all means come by the hub we' ll outfit you. Of course making it will be difficult. In random maps the hub city is at 0,0 , our base is on the southern edge of the hub. Right now it's a bit in disrepair due    to the massive 7 day horde hit.

Here's some quick tips. Stay in your safe spawn zone, meaning don't wander to far a field at first. If your unlucky to spawn in the snow zone at night, no choice but to move, pick a direction and go , you'll probably die but will probably get a better spawn. So let's say your spawn is good, start collecting rocks, grass, punch some bushes or trees for wood. Make a stone ax and get more rocks,grass and wood, see any birdnests search for feathers for arrows. Search any cars, garbage piles, tree trunks , bodies or house close by, remember don't wander to far work in a small circular pattern as to not leave your safe zone. Also punch or ax a bunch of grass for clothes, top right is a tutorial follow most of that before you move on, getting the ax, bow, clothes and sleeping bag. I recommend just starting up a SP game and getting a few basics down before you jump on the server, at least it won't be night when you start. One important fact, you drop everything in your belt on death keep most of it in your backpack which you retain when you die.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

OJsDad

Jomni, I'm eastern US, Budd and AT are western.  FlyWheel is England.  Jason is Central US.  When you get on the server, hit the I key.  It will tell you if anyone else is on.  If so, there is a column for allies, you can send a friend request.  If you hit the T key, you can chat with others that are online. 

If I'm on line, I'm not very good, but I'll try and make my way to you to help you to our base.  Also, most of Hub City is surrounded by water.  You can swim by using the W key.  Just remember, as you get close to land, the lake floor will rise.  Zombies can walk on the lake floor, so if they're following you they can hit you from the bottom.  If you stop holding down the W key you go under the water.  During the day time, you can see well to see if there are any Z's around.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.