Main Menu

VR?

Started by Jarhead0331, April 05, 2016, 10:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sandman2575

Quote from: Father Ted on September 26, 2016, 03:35:55 PM
There must be a bit of self-consciousness to overcome.  I mean, I feel a bit of a nerd using TIR and uttering pseudo-milspeak over TS, so I'm not sure I could manage ducking behind the armchair and lobbing pretend nades at the telly.

lol -- so i'm not the only one who feels a tad foolish sporting TIR's 'antlers' ... good to know...  8)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Father Ted on September 26, 2016, 03:35:55 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 24, 2016, 02:58:53 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on September 24, 2016, 02:08:00 PM
JH....these may be silly questions but I am clueless as to how this new VR works. In a FPS game, when you run down a hallway are you running in place in the real world? If you throw a grenade, are you doing the arm motion in the real world?  In other words, is it like a sophisticated Wii console only with a headset that lets you see as if you were actually in the game rather than watching on a TV screen?  Thanks.

Locomotion is very game specific. In a mil-sim game like Onward, walking and running is performed with a track pad on one of the hand controllers. However, using weapons, aiming, facing, crouching, going prone, is all done through actual real world movement. To use your example, in order to throw a grenade, the player must actually reach it on the load bearing vest, pull the pin, release the spoon and throw it. The immersive effect of this is unlike anything I have ever experienced in a digital environment.

Other games that have more or less limited movement, are all player based in the real world, for instance, I have a sword fighting simulator where all movement is physical.

Finally, some games use a teleportation system where the player aims a hand controller at a point on the ground and presses a button to teleport to that position in the virtual world. This system is the least immersive, but also is the safest and least likely to cause motion sickness.

There must be a bit of self-consciousness to overcome.  I mean, I feel a bit of a nerd using TIR and uttering pseudo-milspeak over TS, so I'm not sure I could manage ducking behind the armchair and lobbing pretend nades at the telly.

I'm quite careful to make sure nobody is around to watch me flailing about when I play, and if someone is around, I'm sure to make myself look extremely badass and tactical.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: sandman2575 on September 26, 2016, 03:46:26 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on September 26, 2016, 03:35:55 PM
There must be a bit of self-consciousness to overcome.  I mean, I feel a bit of a nerd using TIR and uttering pseudo-milspeak over TS, so I'm not sure I could manage ducking behind the armchair and lobbing pretend nades at the telly.

lol -- so i'm not the only one who feels a tad foolish sporting TIR's 'antlers' ... good to know...  8)

Even better when you forget to take your antennae hat off when you get up to answer the door only to be confronted by some Jehovah's Witnesses.  I'm not sure what they thought I was up to but I haven't had a visit since.


sandman2575

Hmm, if TIR antennae fend off annoying doorbell solicitations, I may have a new appreciation of them.

I suppose wearing a tinfoil hat would have a similar effect...    ;)

Staggerwing

Quote from: sandman2575 on September 26, 2016, 06:15:33 PM
Hmm, if TIR antennae fend off annoying doorbell solicitations, I may have a new appreciation of them.

I suppose wearing a tinfoil hat would have a similar effect...    ;)

There's always the bloody white cook's apron with 'What's For dinner?' printed on it. Pest paired with a small hand saw...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Father Ted

Sorry to break the thread's immersion levels.  I'm actually pretty excited by the idea of VR, but mostly for flightsims.  I actually find TIR pretty mind-blowing in terms of immersion and functionality (and warding off door-stepping evangelists), so when VR tech gets a level of resolution to match current monitors and wide-ranging game-compatibility, I'll be right in there.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Father Ted on September 27, 2016, 01:46:55 PM
Sorry to break the thread's immersion levels.  I'm actually pretty excited by the idea of VR, but mostly for flightsims.  I actually find TIR pretty mind-blowing in terms of immersion and functionality (and warding off door-stepping evangelists), so when VR tech gets a level of resolution to match current monitors and wide-ranging game-compatibility, I'll be right in there.

There is already a $300 4K VR headset out there. Not sure how good it is. I think RPS has an article on it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


RedArgo

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/27/4k-vr-headset/

What I got out of it was good: relatively cheap, hi-res, bad: immediate headache and motion sickness for games that require movement for both author and another person who tried it, maybe due to lower frame rate.  Might make a good movie watching headset.

I get motion sickness easily as it is, so I will steer clear of this one.

Yskonyn

Instead of going VR I have bought a monster of monitor: 43" 4K powered by an GTX1080. That bastard gives me all the immersion I want without the discomfort.
It isn't 3D though and VR is cool, but I prefer gaming comfortably. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 28, 2016, 12:09:40 AM
Instead of going VR I have bought a monster of monitor: 43" 4K powered by an GTX1080. That bastard gives me all the immersion I want without the discomfort.
It isn't 3D though and VR is cool, but I prefer gaming comfortably. :)

Can you post a link to the monitor?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Yskonyn

Sure, here is the Dutch link to the manufacturer's website: http://www.philips.nl/c-p/BDM4350UC_00/brilliance-4k-ultra-hd-lcd-scherm

You need to change country on the site to get a local page or Google Philips Brilliance BDM4350UC.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 28, 2016, 04:16:13 AM
Sure, here is the Dutch link to the manufacturer's website: http://www.philips.nl/c-p/BDM4350UC_00/brilliance-4k-ultra-hd-lcd-scherm

You need to change country on the site to get a local page or Google Philips Brilliance BDM4350UC.

Wow. That's a "not f*cking around" monitor.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Pete Dero

http://store.steampowered.com/app/518580/

Free VR game : Accounting  (requires an HTC Vive)


Yskonyn

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 28, 2016, 12:09:40 AM
Instead of going VR I have bought a monster of monitor: 43" 4K powered by an GTX1080. That bastard gives me all the immersion I want without the discomfort.
It isn't 3D though and VR is cool, but I prefer gaming comfortably. :)

So, with the Summer deal on Oculus Rift I have come around and gave myself the bundle with Touch.
The hardware was shipped in two seperate packages and aparently one of them got scanned incorrectly at UPS's distribution centre and therefore picked  up a delay.

The Rift itself was delivered yesterday and just now the Touch controllers were delivered as well.

Yesterday I already connected and configured the Rift itself. I have tested the HMD in DCS World and in Elite Dangerous and I was completely awestruck! The experience is something you really *have* to experience to be able to talk about it!
The scale of the game objects and world is suddenly 1:1 lifelike. The SU-27 is a BIG fighter aircraft and the cockpit in my Asp in Elite is large, as are the engine nacelles when looking to the sides!
You can even 'step' out of your seat and take a tour of your cockpit area. Its a weird out of body experience cause the space pilot that's supposed to be you remains seated. Still, its an awesome experience!
Dropping down from your ship in your buggy, seeing the wheels unfold and then scooting around a base is just insanely cool.
Immersion 2.0!

I would have liked a slightly bigger FOV; you constantly have the idea you're looking into the game world from within a helmet. Technically this is kind of true, of course, but I hope the future hardware will be able to engage your peripheral view better.
The resolution is more than adequate however, even without super sampling.

The unit fits comfortably and is pretty lightweight. The materials used have a premium feel and the Rift feels solid and sturdy.

I am looking forward to trying out Touch tonight. Its an essential way to up the immersion even more in just about any game that doesn't require a joystick. I will write my impressions about that in the coming days.

Do I think the Rift is worth 600 or 800 dollars? No way, I still stand by that. But at 400 for the complete bundle with Touch... I'll report back later. But the big ass smile on my face after yesterday's session without even trying Touch probably sets enough precedent.  :-" \m/
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."