F1 2016 - NOT a wargame

Started by JudgeDredd, May 31, 2016, 12:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

I could never recommend a good driving game with a controller. I'm sure they've got better over the years, both controllers and how they are implemented, but there's nothing like having a good wheel with good feedback.

You don't need the best wheel out there. I think mine was £80. I understand that if driving games aren't your thing then that's a lot of money - but it could be your just missing out on a genre because you don't have the kit to enjoy it.

There's some superb driving sims out there.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 01, 2016, 05:12:58 AM
I could never recommend a good driving game with a controller. I'm sure they've got better over the years, both controllers and how they are implemented, but there's nothing like having a good wheel with good feedback.

You don't need the best wheel out there. I think mine was £80. I understand that if driving games aren't your thing then that's a lot of money - but it could be your just missing out on a genre because you don't have the kit to enjoy it.

There's some superb driving sims out there.

Yep, have always been interested...still remember playing a TON of Pole Position in the arcade as a kid:)  But have never owned a wheel and any racing game I have owned, quickly lost interest because couldn't control things well.  I have been eyeing this one, pretty cheap and maybe not too much of an investment if I don't end up liking.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-VG-Ferrari-Racing-Wheel-PlayStation/dp/B00FB5R1AQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475316314&sr=8-1&keywords=pc+racing+wheel

jomni


JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on October 01, 2016, 05:57:24 AM
I pulled the trigger.
Cool - hope you enjoy it.

It has some issues, as laid out in this thread, but the experience is by far overall positive (I love it in short) and it's a superb immersion into the world of F1.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

#64
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 01, 2016, 05:26:52 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 01, 2016, 05:12:58 AM
I could never recommend a good driving game with a controller. I'm sure they've got better over the years, both controllers and how they are implemented, but there's nothing like having a good wheel with good feedback.

You don't need the best wheel out there. I think mine was £80. I understand that if driving games aren't your thing then that's a lot of money - but it could be your just missing out on a genre because you don't have the kit to enjoy it.

There's some superb driving sims out there.
Yep, have always been interested...still remember playing a TON of Pole Position in the arcade as a kid:)  But have never owned a wheel and any racing game I have owned, quickly lost interest because couldn't control things well.  I have been eyeing this one, pretty cheap and maybe not too much of an investment if I don't end up liking.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-VG-Ferrari-Racing-Wheel-PlayStation/dp/B00FB5R1AQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475316314&sr=8-1&keywords=pc+racing+wheel
I don't know about that wheel personally, but Thrustmaster have a good reputation when it comes to wheels I believe.

This is definitely the time to get a wheel and get into driving sims if you are into driving sims. Not just because of this game but because there are lots out there that give hours of gaming fun...some more open on the series (pCars, Assetto Corsa, Race Room Racing Experience) and then more focussed series like F1, Dirt Rally and Nascar (though I haven't heard great things about the Nascar games) and never rule out iRacing if you want to take on some MP racing with a structure.

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Just curious, which wheel do you have?


JudgeDredd

Oh, and there's also the very cool Euro & American Truck Simulators which are very good for chilling out - driving around, transporting goods and building your business.  :smitten:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Looks like a nice setup...little too much for my casual use, but looks good:)

I do own the truck driving games, haven't played much, likely for the same reason since using controller/mouse leaves a lot to be desired.

Well, I guess the holidays are upcoming, maybe something for the wife and kids to buy:)

jomni

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 01, 2016, 06:40:59 AM
Quote from: jomni on October 01, 2016, 05:57:24 AM
I pulled the trigger.
Cool - hope you enjoy it.

It has some issues, as laid out in this thread, but the experience is by far overall positive (I love it in short) and it's a superb immersion into the world of F1.

Well always last place on easy. Hehe

JudgeDredd

Practice - practice - practice

Started P2 at Catalunya on full wets as it was raining. The car was like a hippo on roller blades so I changed to intermediates which helped - still well down on pace

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Rekim

I was holding off until there was a good sale. Surprised to see I was put to the test so soon, just a month after release. Anyway, I broke down and just finished installing F1 2016. About to find out if my ancient Logitech Wingman Formula Force wheel works with Windows 10.

Does F1 2016 support TrackIR?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Rekim on October 01, 2016, 01:10:09 PM
I was holding off until there was a good sale. Surprised to see I was put to the test so soon, just a month after release. Anyway, I broke down and just finished installing F1 2016. About to find out if my ancient Logitech Wingman Formula Force wheel works with Windows 10.

Does F1 2016 support TrackIR?
Rather surprisingly, no. I think one or two previous iterations did iirc.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Curse all you...ended up buying even without the darn wheel!

JD, I am holding you accountable :)

JudgeDredd

lol - to be fair, I did say a wheel was highly recommended

If you do get a wheel and you are "into" Formula 1, then I'm sure this iteration will please you
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people