TrackIR worth the hefty price?

Started by WallysWorld, October 01, 2016, 09:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WallysWorld

Just been playing Rise of Flight and also learning Wings Over Flanders Fields while just using the joystick hat for the snap views to look around. Using the mouse is quite clumsy for me while trying to work the joystick at the same time.

I keep on reading that TrackIR is worth the high price for flight simulators and that most people say that it's definitely worth it. Even without purchasing the Pro clip and just using the hat reflectors.

Can anyone who has TrackIR or even used to offer any comments on it? I'm really torn between getting it or putting up with the snap views in my flight simulator games including IL2 1946.

Many thanks for any and all comments.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

ArizonaTank

I highly recommend it.  Makes all the difference in playing Rise of Flight for me.  I can't imagine playing War Thunder without it either.  It is not so much for immersion (but it does help with that).  For me the value is that my head / neck are just so much more accurate in controlling my camera view than my thumb, and moving my head to control view is just so much more natural.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

I never really thought Track IR was worth it. 

Then I bought one after I had a tax return one year. 

Yeah, I was pretty brutally wrong.  I honestly can't play a flight sim without it.  It's brutally amazing in OFF, IL2-1946, Rise of Flight and Elite Dangerous. 

Snap views have absolutely nothing on the immersion Track IR offers.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Kushan

Definitely worth it IMO. I couldn't go back to playing Elite or Prepar3D without it.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Con

A question for you flight simmers out there.

What if any is the advantage of better screens and TrackIr etc over VR?

I was thinking that the new occulous rift would render all this other technology obsolete.  Is it to soon or not "good" enough?

Con

Silent Disapproval Robot

Get one.  I can't play flight sims or ArmA without one now.  It's like trying to fly with only one arm.

Richie61

Works well on sim racing games too  :)
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

vyshka

Quote from: Con on October 01, 2016, 10:52:50 PM
A question for you flight simmers out there.

What if any is the advantage of better screens and TrackIr etc over VR?

I was thinking that the new occulous rift would render all this other technology obsolete.  Is it to soon or not "good" enough?

Con

I think the problem would be that you can't see your keyboard or your hotas setup inside a rift or vive.

JudgeDredd

Yes

It's taken me several buys and several sells to eventually buy (3rd time) and enjoy it. DCS and Elite are superb. I don't like using it for my driving games, but perhaps that's just through lack of use. I tend to drive where I'm looking so having my head moving about isn't ideal.

And my latest love - F1 2016 - doesn't support it anyway and that's pretty much what I'm racing at the moment.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Its great and I think worth every penny.  Its also something that has longevity for the price, its not like they are coming out with new models every year.  I have had mine for several years and no regrets and has helped me in flight sims and other type of games.

Staggerwing

#10
Quote from: vyshka on October 02, 2016, 01:02:38 AM
Quote from: Con on October 01, 2016, 10:52:50 PM
A question for you flight simmers out there.

What if any is the advantage of better screens and TrackIr etc over VR?

I was thinking that the new occulous rift would render all this other technology obsolete.  Is it to soon or not "good" enough?

Con


I think the problem would be that you can't see your keyboard or your hotas setup inside a rift or vive.


Doesn't one of the two headsets have a small down-looking camera built into it? I thought that Jarhead mentioned something about it after he got his VR set.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Father Ted

If you've got the dosh and like flightsimming then definitely get it.  For a few years I used a free-ware version which would be worth looking into if don't want to fork out.  There are actually a few apps (Freetrack, Open Track, FacetrackNoIR).  Freetrack is probably the best, though unsupported at the moment.  You can make a track-clip or buy the pukka one from Natural Point (about £30 I think) and use a PS Eye camera (about £10).  Takes a bit of fiddling, but does the job almost as well as the real product.

Like the others said - I wouldn't flightsim without headtracking.

sandman2575

Just being redundant, but emphatically Yes.

Once you to Track(...IR), you'll never go back.

Toonces

I won't flightsim without it.  I've had mine for what has to be about 10 years, so it's built to last as well.

Two firm thumbs up.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

Like those above; I consider it a primary piece of gear for simming!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."