Main Menu

The Defections Begin

Started by MIGMaster, June 22, 2012, 07:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on July 19, 2012, 01:50:21 PM
^Even with all of the losses they have been taking over the last few years?

I imagine that they will have a harder time pulling off these things in the West or where there is strong surveillance but in places like Syria they could be funding actions locally or with drug money smuggled in to avoid electronic funds.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Lots of things are falling out of this.

I certainly cannot be coincidence that the US rolled into Iraq, terraformed their political landscape, and suddenly the Mideast is bitten by popular uprisings.

I'm not saying we're directly behind all of the Arab Spring, but I am saying the events are not wholly unconnected - for better or worse.

Syria is Russia's last ally in the region and their only friendly port in the Med. They should have played nicer when they had the chance.

Syria was also Iran's biggest ally in the region. The attack in Bulgaria yesterday is probably not unrelated to the problems in Syria. With the fall of Assad Iran no longer has a proxy on Israel's border. They can still pull off plenty of mischief, but it's no longer convenient for them to get close to Israel on a moment's notice. Whether Iran can build relations with Egypt remains to be seen, but I would expect to find some kind of overtures being made.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I'm kind of afraid of the Muslim Brotherhood taking advantage of the situation.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on July 20, 2012, 08:08:54 AM
I'm kind of afraid of the Muslim Brotherhood taking advantage of the situation.

They're well positioned to do so.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Syria is now threatening to use its chemical weapons against any foreign intervention.

QuoteSyria acknowledged for the first time on Monday that it had chemical and biological weapons and said it could use them if foreign countries intervened.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/assads-forces-overrun-two-damascus-districts-010158222.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on July 23, 2012, 12:47:02 PM
Syria is now threatening to use its chemical weapons against any foreign intervention.

QuoteSyria acknowledged for the first time on Monday that it had chemical and biological weapons and said it could use them if foreign countries intervened.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/assads-forces-overrun-two-damascus-districts-010158222.html

Wow! I think that's the very worst thing they could have said publicly... I mean what a way to draw more unwelcome attention to yourself.... :P

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on July 23, 2012, 02:41:48 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 23, 2012, 12:47:02 PM
Syria is now threatening to use its chemical weapons against any foreign intervention.

QuoteSyria acknowledged for the first time on Monday that it had chemical and biological weapons and said it could use them if foreign countries intervened.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/assads-forces-overrun-two-damascus-districts-010158222.html

Wow! I think that's the very worst thing they could have said publicly... I mean what a way to draw more unwelcome attention to yourself.... :P

Not exactly the best way to endear yourself to the upcoming host of the next war trials hearings.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I took their statement to be more of statement that they were not currently using their stash of NBCs on their own population.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Isn't the Syrian Air Force supposed to be loyal to Assad?

Maybe the Turks could clear the skies for the rebels.  Then again, maybe the rebels will be worse than Assad.
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 24, 2012, 11:46:40 AM
Isn't the Syrian Air Force supposed to be loyal to Assad?

Maybe the Turks could clear the skies for the rebels.  Then again, maybe the rebels will be worse than Assad.

Watching the talking heads on TV last night it was clear that the major fear is that Syrian WMD would be given to Hizbollah.

What's unclear is what is happening behind the scenes to discourage that (diplomatic/military/whatevs). Point is, this could get a lot uglier.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Nothing like a lose-lose situation.
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 24, 2012, 01:15:03 PM
Nothing like a lose-lose situation.

This one has all the potential to go to hell in a handbasket. Hopefully enough carrots and sticks are being put on the table that the worst is avoided.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

I wonder if they have them hidden well. I could see a massive shock-and-awe style strategic airstrike and missile attack campaign if things got to the brink and it looked like Hizbollah or someone else was going to get those weapons. I suspect Israel has a plan as well.

Gusington

If this starts a third world war we should all get together and form our own brigade. See y'all in downtown Damascus.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd