TrackIR worth the hefty price?

Started by WallysWorld, October 01, 2016, 09:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2016, 04:38:17 AM
Quote from: WallysWorld on October 02, 2016, 11:27:09 PM
I'll stick with the standard TrackClip for the hat for now and see how that goes. Been reading about people having their Clip Pro break on them.


The regular clips do just fine, as long as you don't slingshot them off into space.  Just need a cap with a visor. 

I have both, but the "Pro" version has two drawbacks.  1) it's bulkier, and 2) It uses yet another USB plug. 

Although it saves you from needing to wear a hat, I think the trade-offs are worse.  The only reason I'd end up using the headset clip-on "Pro" version again, is if there was too many false IR returns being detected by the TIR, where I have my desk.  It may help differentiate stray sunlight mixing in, but I've not yet had that issue with the standard reflector that comes with the TIR.

The regular clip works best for me as well. Investing in a good solid baseball cap will help.  I got one of those old fashioned all cloth types, with relatively stiff visor, and reinforced front.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Yskonyn

I am firmly in the go ProClip camp.
The response is much better. I always game with a headset on anyway and its light sensitivity is much more practical as well.
I find having to wear a hat very uncomfortable.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 04, 2016, 11:13:50 AM
I am firmly in the go ProClip camp.
The response is much better. I always game with a headset on anyway and its light sensitivity is much more practical as well.
I find having to wear a hat very uncomfortable.
Same here.

  • Light sensitivity in the room I game is terrible and so a pro clip really helped with that (hence why I had sold two others previously)
  • Wearing a hat is uncomfortable (and hot - no, mirth - not that kind of hot)

However, I agree with others that the clip seems to be made out of something less than solid...it really is very flimsy.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Yskonyn

Definately, but nothing duct-tape can't fix.  :P
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tuna

I am in the Fine with the visor clip camp. Though I do agree, it can propel itself across the room when you grab that hat by the visor sometimes. LOL and there's the times when you go out to pick up your kids at their friends house and you forget to take your hat off!!  :crazy2:

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tuna on October 04, 2016, 02:10:56 PM
I am in the Fine with the visor clip camp. Though I do agree, it can propel itself across the room when you grab that hat by the visor sometimes. LOL and there's the times when you go out to pick up your kids at their friends house and you forget to take your hat off!!  :crazy2:

Ouch.....haven't don't that yet:)  I am using an old hat that I would never use in public so likely helps me from not making that mistake:)

WallysWorld

The package arrived this afternoon and I just put the little camera on my monitor. It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The TrackClip looks pretty plastic-ky too so I better be careful with it. Luckily I have no light source behind me and just an overhead standing light that can be dimmed.

I'm sure I'll be spending a few hours tonight playing around with this.

Again, super thanks to everyone for their comments. Much appreciated!
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Father Ted

It's worth checking around the forums of the games you want to play using it for other users' curve profiles.  They might not be exactly what you want, but they're a good starting point.

WallysWorld

Quote from: Father Ted on October 04, 2016, 04:57:23 PM
It's worth checking around the forums of the games you want to play using it for other users' curve profiles.  They might not be exactly what you want, but they're a good starting point.
Thanks. I downloaded two Rise of Flight profiles and have been trying them out.

A bit nauseous which I read I should get use to and eventually eliminate.  :crazy2:
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Nefaro

Quote from: WallysWorld on October 04, 2016, 05:35:36 PM

Thanks. I downloaded two Rise of Flight profiles and have been trying them out.

A bit nauseous which I read I should get use to and eventually eliminate.  :crazy2:


I lowered the movement delay/smoothing slider quite a bit, in the TIR software.

IIRC, it defaulted to something like 4 or 5, and I wasn't happy with how sluggishly the view moved until I reduced it to 1. 

It's basically the TIR equivalent to "mouse smoothing", slowly accelerating the camera movement to follow your head movement.  But it's default is way too slow for me, and was causing a bit of a headache until I adjusted it.

WallysWorld

Again, many thanks to those who posted. I'm really enjoying using this product and once I was over the initial motion sickness phase, I can't play any flight simulator game without it. It works wonderful with both WOFF and RoF. I have to say it is well worth the money for the added immersion to flying.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Nefaro

Quote from: WallysWorld on October 23, 2016, 03:35:41 PM
Again, many thanks to those who posted. I'm really enjoying using this product and once I was over the initial motion sickness phase, I can't play any flight simulator game without it. It works wonderful with both WOFF and RoF. I have to say it is well worth the money for the added immersion to flying.

O0


I remember accidentally finding out where the compass was located, on the Halberstadt CL.II, due to the TrackIR. 

Had been looking around the cockpit for many flights, trying to find it.  But using TIR on an ROF full-realism server, it's best to move your head over the side of the cockpit to look for targets down below.  Boom!  There it was, on top of the wing near the root.   ;D  Strangeneering!

sandman2575

Quote from: WallysWorld on October 23, 2016, 03:35:41 PM
Again, many thanks to those who posted. I'm really enjoying using this product and once I was over the initial motion sickness phase, I can't play any flight simulator game without it. It works wonderful with both WOFF and RoF. I have to say it is well worth the money for the added immersion to flying.


Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Not sure I've ever heard anyone say they gave TIR a try and decided it wasn't for them -- the universal experience really seems to be, once TIR clicks with you, you can't play without it. It's a terrific bit of technology.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I wish they were more robust.  My first one died after a year and a half.  My second one appears to be on its last legs right now (camera stops responding randomly and then the unit locks up).

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 23, 2016, 04:53:28 PM
I wish they were more robust.  My first one died after a year and a half.  My second one appears to be on its last legs right now (camera stops responding randomly and then the unit locks up).


Sorry, SDR, but I really hope it's just your bad luck.  :-\

Have had mine plugged in for over 2 years straight.  Although I didn't use it steadily during that time.  Would be very sad if it gave up on me anytime soon.

IIRC, the little IR receptor that sits on the monitor gets hot as shit.  So much that I was a little surprised the unit didn't have extra ventilation holes or something, when I touched it after use.  That can't be good.