Did this today...

Started by JudgeDredd, October 24, 2016, 04:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Took an image of a Spitfire I took at Duxford Meet the Fighters


Grey scaled it, created a layer and edited to show some colour


I love this technique - it creates some striking images imo...this is my first attempt. Now I know how to do it, others will follow
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

W8taminute

That's pretty impressive.  I have always liked the splotches of color in a black and white photo.  If you make the black and white portions a wee bit more grainy and darker that photo could almost pass of as a period piece.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Atilla60

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

JudgeDredd

Quote from: W8taminute on October 24, 2016, 04:28:24 PM
That's pretty impressive.  I have always liked the splotches of color in a black and white photo.  If you make the black and white portions a wee bit more grainy and darker that photo could almost pass of as a period piece.   O0
What about this?



I'm no artist...not at all. I really like the B&W photos with a colour aspect and plan to do some of my kids...so I was using this to try it out. The tools in Gimp are bewildering to me and it's trial and error.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

mirth

You managed that in GIMP?  Well done!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Bravo!

What tools did you use to isolate the colored (coloured?) parts of the insignia for importing into or creating a new layer?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

You did that today?  Oh yeah?

Well, I returned my empties AND I went to the park and yelled at squirrels, so there.

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 24, 2016, 05:34:48 PM
You did that today?  Oh yeah?

Well, I returned my empties AND I went to the park and yelled at squirrels, so there.

That's not a bad day either.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on October 24, 2016, 05:34:31 PM
The Magic Wand?

I can't get good results with the wand.

Err... I mean...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 24, 2016, 05:33:01 PM
Bravo!

What tools did you use to isolate the colored (coloured?) parts of the insignia for importing into or creating a new layer?
Thanks all.

Basically, used this method

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Selective_Color/

It involved a greyscale layer and then careful brushing
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 24, 2016, 05:39:55 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 24, 2016, 05:34:31 PM
The Magic Wand?

I can't get good results with the wand.

Err... I mean...

Clearly you aren't using it properly.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus