Have You Played Graviteam Tactics And If Not, Why?

Started by Moreb, September 17, 2016, 07:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

When I want to see what WWII looked like, and be immersed in that, I play Graviteam Tactics.


When I want to micro-manage tactical fights, I play CMx2.


When I want to actually command significant WW2 operational forces, using realistic maneuvers, with well researched OOBs and maps, I play JTS Panzer Battles/Panzer Campaigns.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

demjansk1942

This game could be so much better with a redesign of the. UI.  I try the game and then get lost.  I would love to play and just no luck.

By the way, how do you a bundle like that early before it ends?  Does humble notify you?
Thanks

sandman2575

I really think the UI gets a bad rap -- especially the revamped UI they put together for Mius Front, which overall is very good in my view. It is definitely unique, which accounts for the learning curve. And it's true that some commands -- like how to set target points for artillery spotters -- are opaque. So you do have to do a little trial-and-error and YouTube hunting to figure some things out -- obviously Graviteam could improve things on that score.

But Mius Front's UI is a damn sight better than what CMx2 offers. Mius Front's UI is confusing to the uninitiated, but once you figure things out, you see it is quite flexible and powerful. CMx2's UI is simply badly outdated and clunky and a chore to use.

panzerde

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 18, 2016, 08:50:25 AM
But Mius Front's UI is a damn sight better than what CMx2 offers. Mius Front's UI is confusing to the uninitiated, but once you figure things out, you see it is quite flexible and powerful. CMx2's UI is simply badly outdated and clunky and a chore to use.


I would agree that the Mius Front UI is much improved. I find it much easier to use that the UI from previous games. I don't think Graviteam necessarily falls down on the design of their UI, where I think they've failed is in explaining the UI. There's no way around it: their documentation sucks. I don't accept the "But they're Ukrainian, so they don't speak English!" argument, either. If you're going to sell to an English speaking market, you need documentation in English. The real reason their documentation sucks is that they are undisciplined developers that don't like to write documentation.


CMx2 is fundamentally a different game with a different mechanic. The UI is optimized for turn-based play, and unit micro-management. I don't think it's clunky at all, and can be used quite quickly. It won't be as efficient at RTS though, and GTMF has better RTS tools.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

My CM opinions are known so I'll only offer a dissent to any who dismiss the UI outright.  I think that's incorrect.

I will now purchase no more GT games until they give me MP.  Sticks thrown.

Jim
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Father Ted

Quote from: panzerde on November 18, 2016, 09:09:21 AM
CMx2 is fundamentally a different game with a different mechanic.

I think you're right and therefore I'm thinking that maybe we should stop comparing the two games like for like.

panzerde

Quote from: Father Ted on November 18, 2016, 07:21:57 PM
Quote from: panzerde on November 18, 2016, 09:09:21 AM
CMx2 is fundamentally a different game with a different mechanic.

I think you're right and therefore I'm thinking that maybe we should stop comparing the two games like for like.


You speak great truth, O Wise One. +1

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Rayfer

Quote from: panzerde on November 18, 2016, 09:35:48 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on November 18, 2016, 07:21:57 PM
Quote from: panzerde on November 18, 2016, 09:09:21 AM
CMx2 is fundamentally a different game with a different mechanic.

I think you're right and therefore I'm thinking that maybe we should stop comparing the two games like for like.


You speak great truth, O Wise One. +1


He certainly does!  :notworthy: