Steam (and other) Holiday Sales - food for thought

Started by Hartford688, November 18, 2016, 01:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hartford688

I realise the sales are not yet upon us, but the Rule Of Ps (Prior Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance) means we should ready.

Most of us have at least 200 unplayed games in our library (and no, downloading, pootling about for an hour and leaving on your HD for a month does not count as "played") so that equals around 900 years of fine gaming unexplored. (You may question the math, but I am an accountant, trust me. Don't date me, or spend an evening in a bar with me, but trust me on this number thing at least).

One of the great thinkers of our time has set out that humanity - that is you and me - have only 1,000 years left at best.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/stephen-hawking-humans-only-have-about-1000-years-left/ar-AAks0wy?li=AAdeCd7&ocid=spartanntp

You know what that means. Next sale you have to get at least 100 more years of games to store untouched on your hard drive.

Or buy Stellaris and figure out how mankind can find a new home before Earth blows up.

Rayfer

LOL...great post Hartford688. And your quote (and no, downloading, pootling about for an hour and leaving on your HD for a month does not count as "played")   is exactly what I've done with many a Steam sale game.

jamus34

I think we need to set up a support thread that every time someone starts to break down and think about buying a game on sale we can cock-shot Gus to resist the temptation.



(Or, you know, just talk them off the ledge)
Insert witty comment here.

bbmike

Hawking is right but I think he is being generous with 1000 years. And there's this.

Now, when does that sale start?  :knuppel2:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

FarAway Sooner

Great OP!   :DD

My own sense is that last year's Steam Holiday Sale, unlike every other such sale in recent years, left me profoundly unimpressed.  The elimination of daily deals meant that most of the games I really wanted that were less than a year old were 10% off, games 2-3 years old were 20% off, and games 4+ years old were 40% off.

That inspired a collective **yawn** and return to trying to play the games we'd already purchased but not played yet.

For myself, I think I'm looking at either Stellaris or HoI4, and that's about it.  Maybe also Thea: The Awakening if it's on 50% discount or better.

OJsDad

I'm looking to get the latest DLC for CKII, EUIV and Stellaris.  Maybe pick up HOIIV.


Having a blast doing PBEM with Flashpoint Red Storm.  Would like to pick up at least one more title that offers PBEM. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 18, 2016, 05:01:15 PM
Great OP!   :DD

My own sense is that last year's Steam Holiday Sale, unlike every other such sale in recent years, left me profoundly unimpressed.  The elimination of daily deals meant that most of the games I really wanted that were less than a year old were 10% off, games 2-3 years old were 20% off, and games 4+ years old were 40% off.

That inspired a collective **yawn** and return to trying to play the games we'd already purchased but not played yet.

For myself, I think I'm looking at either Stellaris or HoI4, and that's about it.  Maybe also Thea: The Awakening if it's on 50% discount or better.

$9 here....

https://www.kinguin.net/category/20740/thea-the-awakening-steam-cd-key/

MetalDog

Look at G.R bein' helpful! 

Love the OP! 

Saw the Hawking thing and agree wholeheartedly.  Been saying it myself for years.  I also believe it'll be less than a 1,000.  Might not go more than another couple hundred if a meteor doesn't get us first.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Considering we've nearly doubled the world's population in the last 30-40 years...I'm no mathematician (at all), but isn't it exponential growth, essentially?

Not to derail a thread, but that's what we do around here pretty much.

-budd-

Quote from: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 05:22:59 PM
I'm looking to get the latest DLC for CKII, EUIV and Stellaris.  Maybe pick up HOIIV.


Having a blast doing PBEM with Flashpoint Red Storm. Would like to pick up at least one more title that offers PBEM.

CSME OJ, i'll play ya... I just started doing PBEM, got 4 games going of various levels of success.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

OJsDad

Quote from: -budd- on November 18, 2016, 09:31:06 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 05:22:59 PM
I'm looking to get the latest DLC for CKII, EUIV and Stellaris.  Maybe pick up HOIIV.


Having a blast doing PBEM with Flashpoint Red Storm. Would like to pick up at least one more title that offers PBEM.

CSME OJ, i'll play ya... I just started doing PBEM, got 4 games going of various levels of success.

That's Campaign Series Middle East? 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

-budd-

Quote from: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 09:35:12 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 18, 2016, 09:31:06 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 05:22:59 PM
I'm looking to get the latest DLC for CKII, EUIV and Stellaris.  Maybe pick up HOIIV.


Having a blast doing PBEM with Flashpoint Red Storm. Would like to pick up at least one more title that offers PBEM.

CSME OJ, i'll play ya... I just started doing PBEM, got 4 games going of various levels of success.

That's Campaign Series Middle East?

Yup  .... 1948-1985 ...with the scenarios added by modders its up  to over a hundred scenarios.
it might go on sale soon as Matrix sale usually starts after Thanksgiving
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Nefaro

I was also underwhelmed by last year's Steam Fall & Holiday sales. 

Was also kinda fine with that, since I already have so many backlogged games.



I've mostly been using these seasonal sales to fill out some DLC.   This year, I'll be hoping for decent prices on the TW:Warhammer DLC but I don't expect the savings to be as massive as past years. 

The years of big digital sale gluts are probably showing the after effects of so many cheap titles offered over time.  Peoples' game libraries are backed up so far that their purchasing pace has slowed lately.  So the sale prices have also retracted a bit, due to people already owning so much from previous ones.


GJK

It's very easy to "click and purchase" a computer game and then download it to where it sits for however long before you launch it and go through one or two tutorials before you are distracted and click away.  And then you ask "what should I purchase next?".   Much too easy. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer