12 year customer reward Matrix, help me Choose!

Started by Yskonyn, November 17, 2016, 03:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jamus34

#30
I've been wanting to pull the trigger on Barbarossa for so long however considering I still have not been able to "get" case blue it makes it hard for me to justify purchasing.

Maybe I'm just not "groggy" enough
Insert witty comment here.

Philippe

I had trouble figuring out DC:Case Blue and DC:Warsaw to Paris as well, and didn't understand them until after I'd played DC:Barbarossa.

The counter-shuffling part of DC:Barbarossa is streamlined and easier to get into.  It has to be, because the real focus of the game is on something else.

Most of the units you are pushing around are full divisions, so the combat eventually becomes a question of changing the numbers in the probable odds bar until you see something you can live with.

But if you're playing the Germans, the game is really about setting an axis of advance for each army group, and having enough trains, converted rail lines, and functioning trucks to get supplies to where you need them. 

In a normal wargame you spend part of each turn making sure you have moved every unit you can.  In DC:Barbarossa, if you move a panzer unit, it burns fuel and starts to wear out.  Fuel is always in short supply, and you never push your front line forwards just because you can.  Sometimes you have to stop moving because you're low on fuel and want to build up your local stockpile for a decisive lunge.  And sometimes you have to stop moving because too much is breaking down and your panzers need to spend some time in the repair shop.

The fun begins when you realize that the guy in charge of the trains and the guy in charge of the trucks don't report to you and probably can't stand each other,  and your offensives are going nowhere if you can't figure out how to get them to co-operate, or at least to move supplies to your forward supply depots and beyond at a reasonable rate.  Meanwhile one of your army group commanders is having a snit and has decided to rein in his panzer group (there goes your offensive), and you can't make him see reason because you weren't on very good terms with him to begin with, and you're currently feuding with your immediate superior over personnel assignments, so he won't lift a finger to help you (he can perform miracles over lunch with a few bottles of French wine, especially when he was buddies with the guy to begin with).

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Nefaro


Sir Slash

That sounds too much like where I used to work Philippe.  :pullhair:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on November 18, 2016, 01:13:26 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 17, 2016, 04:24:09 AM

It might be a good time to get World in Flames at 40% off



ROFL.

Wut?


:crazy2:

Ah, not just me then - I think JD forgot his tablets

JudgeDredd

I definitely forgot these

;D  :D  :o  :P  ::)  :idiot2:  :))  :buck2:  :2funny:  :uglystupid2:  :pullhair:  :DD  :timeout:  :-"   L:-)  :wow:  :dreamer:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Toonces

You guys have me intrigued on the Decisive Campaigns game.  I've never even looked at it, but all this chatter makes me feel like I'm missing something.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Barthheart

You are.

I really like the first one, Warsaw to Paris, and the last one , Barbarossa. The middle one, Case Blue, was just too many counters to push around for me. Way more than in Warsaw to Paris. Barbarossa has the fewest counters and is probability the most interesting war game I've ever played.


Philippe

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 18, 2016, 01:57:38 PM
"Nazis. I hate those guys." -- Bock.

>:D

And you'll hate them even more when the Ministry of Propaganda decides to send a film crew to your headquarters, and Goebbels tells you to drop everything and squire them around.  But you put up with it because you really don't want to draw too much attention to the fact that you're always too busy to sign the Hitler loyalty oath.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Raied

DC:B is the best wargame on operational level period.
I am playing my second PBEM++ and having a blast, for me playing any side has its amazing and totally different gameplay.
I hope that VR design will do another game using the same system in different theater.

Yskonyn

@Rayfer, DC Barbarossa would be something out of my comfort zone so I think that would be a nice one.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Rayfer

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 19, 2016, 07:23:17 AM
@Rayfer, DC Barbarossa would be something out of my comfort zone so I think that would be a nice one.

:bd:

GJK

Quote from: Toonces on November 18, 2016, 04:27:37 PM
You guys have me intrigued on the Decisive Campaigns game.  I've never even looked at it, but all this chatter makes me feel like I'm missing something.

Repeated, tiled images on the map- if they take that kind of shortcut in programming, think about the shortcuts that they took in the game design.  That's my thoughts on it.   :P
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 18, 2016, 02:46:38 PM
I definitely forgot these

;D  :D  :o  :P  ::)  :idiot2:  :))  :buck2:  :2funny:  :uglystupid2:  :pullhair:  :DD  :timeout:  :-"   L:-)  :wow:  :dreamer:


Was gonna send out the Men In White Uniforms, JD.    :crazy2: