Main Menu

Computer Monitor Help

Started by Moreb, November 18, 2016, 10:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Moreb

I'm looking online to purchase a new monitor to go with my new rig and had a couple questions for those that might know.

1) Are the 21:9 monitors a problem with older games and even the type we play here? Will they scale well or will I be forced to play is some odd resolution

2) Is refresh rate always better as a higher number? Is 75 better than 60 always? The one I'm looking at is 144Hz refresh rate. It also has Freesynch, but since my graphics card is nvidia based I understand it isnt supported anyways. I know Nvidia has their Gsynch but that technology is out of my pay scale.

Thanks
When dongles fly? - mirth

Bison


Moreb

I'm actually looking for a 34 inch but would get a 32 with good reviews.

Does the game dictate what resolution can be used or the graphics card?

I want to stay right around the $400-$450 range.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Moreb

Quote from: Bison on November 18, 2016, 11:02:22 PM
This is what I have and it's pretty awesome for the price. 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014373&ignorebbr=1

Good price though with very good reviews. Maybe a 32/34 is overkill?
When dongles fly? - mirth

Bison


Moreb

When dongles fly? - mirth

Bison

I think it's a personal taste thing.  I've never really like the ultra-wide screens, but perhaps you could hit up a Best Buy or Micro Center and look at one in person.

Moreb

Quote from: Bison on November 18, 2016, 11:53:43 PM
I think it's a personal taste thing.  I've never really like the ultra-wide screens, but perhaps you could hit up a Best Buy or Micro Center and look at one in person.

Great Idea. I think I'll do just that.
When dongles fly? - mirth

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Moreb on November 18, 2016, 11:49:06 PM
I'm leaning towards this one but not sure if I am making a mistake with the 29:1 ratio.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005700&cm_re=34_inch_monitor-_-24-005-700-_-Product


Not a big fan of the ultra wide monitors, and if im not mistaken some games don't support that resolution. Also stay away especially from best buy unless you want to pay a sizable markup. I got a 32 inch 1440 HP monitor from Amazon last year for around 450 and that included shipping. I cant link it because I believe it is discontinued/out of stock on Amazon but here is something id be interested in if I needed a new one.
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-BL3200PT-32-Inch-2560x1440-Designer/dp/B00ITORMNM/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479533604&sr=1-10&keywords=32+inch+monitor&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A3547808011

Moreb

When dongles fly? - mirth

Moreb

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on November 19, 2016, 12:35:54 AM
Quote from: Moreb on November 18, 2016, 11:49:06 PM
I'm leaning towards this one but not sure if I am making a mistake with the 29:1 ratio.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005700&cm_re=34_inch_monitor-_-24-005-700-_-Product


Not a big fan of the ultra wide monitors, and if im not mistaken some games don't support that resolution. Also stay away especially from best buy unless you want to pay a sizable markup. I got a 32 inch 1440 HP monitor from Amazon last year for around 450 and that included shipping. I cant link it because I believe it is discontinued/out of stock on Amazon but here is something id be interested in if I needed a new one.
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-BL3200PT-32-Inch-2560x1440-Designer/dp/B00ITORMNM/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479533604&sr=1-10&keywords=32+inch+monitor&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A3547808011

Not sure what to do yet/ The more I research the more confused I become. I think I want an IPS model as the colors are better but the response times not so good. Honestly, I'm wondering how much I would be able to tell the difference. Maybe I'm just expecting too much? Since I have so much in the new rig I'm not sure that I want to spend a bunch more getting a premium monitor, whether a cheaper monitor would detract from the great video card I installed, or if I should just buck up for something really good and reliable.

Appreciate the suggestions. The search continues.
When dongles fly? - mirth

GJK

I've got a 40" 1080i that I duel monitor with a made for computer 20" monitor and I've had zero problems playing any games, old or new.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

I'm going to be very disappointed if I ever have to give up my 16:10 monitor ratio for the PC.

That little extra bit of vertical size is quite noticeable whenever I look at a 16:9 monitor of similar size.

Moreb

When dongles fly? - mirth