12 year customer reward Matrix, help me Choose!

Started by Yskonyn, November 17, 2016, 03:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Barthheart

Quote from: GJK on November 19, 2016, 07:53:09 AM
Quote from: Toonces on November 18, 2016, 04:27:37 PM
You guys have me intrigued on the Decisive Campaigns game.  I've never even looked at it, but all this chatter makes me feel like I'm missing something.

Repeated, tiled images on the map- if they take that kind of shortcut in programming, think about the shortcuts that they took in the game design.  That's my thoughts on it.   :P

Really? Because you don't like the map design you're gonna bash the whole design without even playing it?  :timeout:

GJK

Quote from: Barthheart on November 19, 2016, 09:04:55 AM
Quote from: GJK on November 19, 2016, 07:53:09 AM
Quote from: Toonces on November 18, 2016, 04:27:37 PM
You guys have me intrigued on the Decisive Campaigns game.  I've never even looked at it, but all this chatter makes me feel like I'm missing something.

Repeated, tiled images on the map- if they take that kind of shortcut in programming, think about the shortcuts that they took in the game design.  That's my thoughts on it.   :P

Really? Because you don't like the map design you're gonna bash the whole design without even playing it?  :timeout:


Played it.  Played it bunches.  In fact, playtested it.  It's "rinse and repeat" wargaming...bleh!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bobarossa

Quote from: GJK on November 19, 2016, 07:53:09 AM
Quote from: Toonces on November 18, 2016, 04:27:37 PM
You guys have me intrigued on the Decisive Campaigns game.  I've never even looked at it, but all this chatter makes me feel like I'm missing something.

Repeated, tiled images on the map- if they take that kind of shortcut in programming, think about the shortcuts that they took in the game design.  That's my thoughts on it.   :P
They focused on what was important, game play.  The focus of the game is on your experience as a front commander.  VR doesn't worry about graphics (look at Advanced Tactics Gold).  Players mod the graphics to suit their taste. 

chemkid

...hmmm.

everyone's happy with 'barbarossa' - on your list there's no barbarossa. so, why not go for the REAL barbarossa?!

War in the East (v1) is still rocking and last year's discount on holiday sale was 33.5 - 37.5% off the usual deal -
with your 41% coupon you'd get the whole shebang for under $30!!!

just wait for next weekend if your coupon's still valid and have fun with the real thaaannng, maaaa~n!

cheers!
chem!

here's the link to last year's holiday sale:
http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/Matrix%20Christmas%20Sale.pdf

BigBlueFleet

Quote from: chemkid on November 19, 2016, 12:30:02 PM
...hmmm.

everyone's happy with 'barbarossa' - on your list there's no barbarossa. so, why not go for the REAL barbarossa?!

War in the East (v1) is still rocking and last year's discount on holiday sale was 33.5 - 37.5% off the usual deal -
with your 41% coupon you'd get the whole shebang for under $30!!!

just wait for next weekend if your coupon's still valid and have fun with the real thaaannng, maaaa~n!

cheers!
chem!

here's the link to last year's holiday sale:
http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/Matrix%20Christmas%20Sale.pdf

One of my favorites , right there!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 17, 2016, 03:09:10 AM
I just received a 41% discount coupon for being a customer for 12 years.
Two years ago I chose WitW with my coupon, but now I am curious what you guys would pick!

If only Distant Worlds 2 was on pre-order! ;)

The voting is open!

I have been an Matrix games customer for a very long time and never gotten one of these..:(
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Martok

If you're at all a fan of space strategy games, then Distant Worlds: Universe is an absolute "must-have" purchase.  You probably want to wait til it's on sale or you have a coupon, however; $60 is a bit steep for a game with decade-old graphics. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Yskonyn

Quote from: Martok on November 19, 2016, 03:48:40 PM
If you're at all a fan of space strategy games, then Distant Worlds: Universe is an absolute "must-have" purchase.  You probably want to wait til it's on sale or you have a coupon, however; $60 is a bit steep for a game with decade-old graphics.

I was a beta tester on DW and have all its iterations. Definately a superb game!

@chemkid: Yeah it would make my Grigsby collection complete and add the missing elephant to the others. But like WitW (which I got two years ago) it is one of those games that will require some serious dedication to play and I am likely not up for it at the moment. It would end up on the to-do list for a 'rainy holiday', or some such. :)

@GJK: your remark about DC:B worries me. On all things ASL you have guided me very well so your word means something to me and I get the impression we might like similar games...
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bbmike

Quote from: Martok on November 19, 2016, 03:48:40 PM
If you're at all a fan of space strategy games, then Distant Worlds: Universe is an absolute "must-have" purchase.  You probably want to wait til it's on sale or you have a coupon, however; $60 is a bit steep for a game with decade-old graphics.

+1. This should be on sale later this year.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

undercovergeek

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 19, 2016, 02:16:55 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 17, 2016, 03:09:10 AM
I just received a 41% discount coupon for being a customer for 12 years.
Two years ago I chose WitW with my coupon, but now I am curious what you guys would pick!

If only Distant Worlds 2 was on pre-order! ;)

The voting is open!

I have been an Matrix games customer for a very long time and never gotten one of these..:(

Are you using the same email address?

Martok

Quote from: jamus34 on November 19, 2016, 04:16:24 PM
Isn't it on sale at Steam now?
It was a few days ago, but it's back to its normal price for the time being.  As bbmike noted, however, it'll likely be on sale again as we get deeper into the holiday season. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BigBlueFleet

They sent me an email that I lost and I was able to retrieve my coupon from the Slitherine site. FWIW

chemkid

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 19, 2016, 02:16:55 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 17, 2016, 03:09:10 AM
I just received a 41% discount coupon for being a customer for 12 years.
Two years ago I chose WitW with my coupon, but now I am curious what you guys would pick!

If only Distant Worlds 2 was on pre-order! ;)

The voting is open!

I have been an Matrix games customer for a very long time and never gotten one of these..:(

don't feel bad. it's not that matrix is rewarding 'long' customer-ship, it's rather that they're rewarding 'strong' customer-ship!
eg. i've been matrix customer since late 2012 and got my 3 year anniversary coupon with a surprising 44% off!!
since finding matrix(was sleeping my whole gaming life, it felt...) i bought lot's of stuff from their catalog -
even that 'awesome' mwif mappack is slumbering unplayed in my basement!

so, don't worry and grap their season sale's by the throat and buy, BUY, BUUUU~iiiiY! ;)

...now, that i'm poor and yes, i traded said coupon for something else - i wonder what i'll do with next year's coupon...?
maybe some $3 dlc's for HoN = only $1.5?! iian said something about not trading the coupon... just for the fun of it - dunno?!?

still, if i had the choice and didn't own WitE already - that's the best bang for your discounted buck as can get!
scenarios are great, campaign is awesome, mods are good looking and support is somewhat doing it's thing for this version 1, guess they'll stop support when v2 hits the street...

Yskonyn

I went for WitE in the end afterall. I am going to the shop in a minute to stock up on printer ink and paper and I am going to print the tutorial manual and the full manual this time. I learn much better with a hardcopy manual.
Then I am going to give it a shot, perhaps it will aid me in getting started with WitW as well as both use the same game engine.
Regarding my earlier 'game for a rainy holiday' remark ; chance has it that I have a little vacation right now and an actual storm is raging over the country as we speak. Its expected to last for a few days. So, if that's not a sure sign... ;)

Thanks for everyone's input here, chaps.
@chemkid, perhaps we can start a PBEM game in a while?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."