Steam (and other) Holiday Sales - food for thought

Started by Hartford688, November 18, 2016, 01:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


OJsDad

Quote from: -budd- on November 18, 2016, 10:15:02 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 09:35:12 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 18, 2016, 09:31:06 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 05:22:59 PM
I'm looking to get the latest DLC for CKII, EUIV and Stellaris.  Maybe pick up HOIIV.


Having a blast doing PBEM with Flashpoint Red Storm. Would like to pick up at least one more title that offers PBEM.

CSME OJ, i'll play ya... I just started doing PBEM, got 4 games going of various levels of success.

That's Campaign Series Middle East?

Yup  .... 1948-1985 ...with the scenarios added by modders its up  to over a hundred scenarios.
it might go on sale soon as Matrix sale usually starts after Thanksgiving

I'll add it to my wish list and see if it goes on sale. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

panzerde

Quote from: GJK on November 19, 2016, 09:27:44 AM
It's very easy to "click and purchase" a computer game and then download it to where it sits for however long before you launch it and go through one or two tutorials before you are distracted and click away.  And then you ask "what should I purchase next?".   Much too easy.


This, this so very much. I'm far too easily distracted these days. Worse, a decade ago I'd get dozens of hours out of a game because there wasn't that much else to play, and I'd have to get in the car and go somewhere to buy it, or wait for it to get delivered, so I took the time to learn what I was playing. Hell, at one point I played nothing but WoW for about three years.


Now? I have more games than I can play, I don't play any of them for the length of time they deserve, and too many nights and weekends I sit there thinking "Meh, I don't want to play any of this. Maybe I should buy a new game?"


Definitely a first world problem, but a problem nonetheless. Now, when did you say that sale starts?

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

ArizonaTank

I kind of look at like the cost of a movie.  For $9, if I get 2 hours of entertainment out of a game, I am good with never touching it again.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Father Ted

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 19, 2016, 02:19:36 PM
I kind of look at like the cost of a movie.  For $9, if I get 2 hours of entertainment out of a game, I am good with never touching it again.

I know what you mean - my unit of entertainment is the cost of a pint of beer.  However, I always feel guilty that I've only unlocked a tiny part of the potential entertainment offered by a game.  For instance last year there was a Graviteam bundle which was 95% off - about £100-worth of games and DLC for £5.  I was tempted (that's about a pint and a half), but in the end thought I'd never play all of it, so it would somehow be a waste.

Greybriar

I am going to wait until Black Friday before I purchase any new PC games.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

DennisS

#21
I have 201 games in my steam account. More than half have less than ten hours played.

Having said that, MANY of them were 60-95% off, and even with ten hours, I got good value from them.

There they sit, waiting for retirement, when I will play them ALL, for about 100 hours a week combined!!

I will tell you, a month or so ago, I went through the entire list, and jotted down those that I had a passing fancy of replaying..and over the course of a week's vacation, played all of them for some length of time. This worked out pretty well...as for a couple of them, I defeated the learning curve, and learned a little more about why I purchased them in the first place! Now..instead of 4 hours, they are ten, or even twenty hours played.

Something like a throwback weekend..or better still, play the game at the very bottom of the list until it is no longer at the bottom of the list. Rinse, and repeat. This, and NO PURCHASES until ALL your games have at least two hours per dollar (or pound) played. (I'm looking at YOU, Democracy 3!)


...edited to add that a AAA title at 50 dollars needs 100 hours to qualify. Not unreasonable..as these AAA titles don't come along every day. They will require a commitment from me, to purchase.

Gusington

^That's key right there. If what you paid is worth it for what you got, then there is no problem.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RedArgo

I justify it by figuring if I don't buy this generation of games that I know I probably won't play, the devs won't make the next generation of games that I'll buy and probably won't play.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 19, 2016, 02:19:36 PM
I kind of look at like the cost of a movie.  For $9, if I get 2 hours of entertainment out of a game, I am good with never touching it again.

Throw in a soda and popcorn--$10 more at the theater, $2 at home--and you get to almost $10/hour of movie entertainment.

Now, if I could just play the 5 or 10 titles I haven't had a chance to explore yet before I buy any more!  Besides Stellaris, of course...

Dammit Carl!

My "plan," (such as it is) is to definitely buy CSME or WitW, and then probably buy the other one if possible and if the price is right.

And as always, plans fall apart once the sale notices start flying.  :nerd:

Yskonyn

Last year I only bought some DLC in the holiday sales. I plan to do the same this year. Restraint, yeah!  :bd:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Raied

Too many games are waiting for me to play them in my library, anyway my plan is to get CSME and Tigers on the Hunt, also I have 40 games on my steam wishlist, so I will get most of them if I see some discount like 80% or more.

Anguille

#28
I will try to buy only a few games that are on my wishlist...but as many, i have too many game i still have to play in my Library....

Polaris Sector is one of the games i might get.

rocketman

"Rational-me" says - "I don't need another game!".
"Emotional-me" says - "I want another game!".
Guess who wins the argument  :2funny: