Ageod's Upcoming Napoleonic Game

Started by spelk, August 12, 2015, 09:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

W8taminute

Quote from: Tuna on December 18, 2016, 04:50:34 PM
So you give it a thumbs up for gamelplay w8t?

I do give it a thumbs up, but I admit I am biased towards AGEOD games.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Nefaro

#136
I still haven't even fired up Thirty Years' War since getting it on the bundle sale quite awhile back.   :-"  Nor the extra AJE expansion I was missing.



Too many games!!!

~~~~>



Tuna


Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on December 19, 2016, 03:16:25 PM
Are you in that picture?


If you look closely, you may be able to see a purple-colored finger sticking out.  Because I'm being crushed under the weight of my Steam, GOG, and Gamersgate libraries.  Couldn't fit the rest in the pic.

Tuna


panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mikeck

Quote from: Philippe on December 16, 2016, 11:27:04 AM
I have a nagging suspicion that Ageod is jinxed when it comes to Napoleonic games, which is why I didn't buy this one.

My guess is because - as we all know- it wasn't A war....it was SEVERAL wars. That means being able to form alliances and coalitions which are not this engines strong suit. No one wants to play just one campaign but it's hard to say "it's 1803...fight!" Without the ability to ally. It's just too big of a conflict I think.

The Thirty Years War is the same in some respect except there weren't really huge alliances. As Sweden I don't have to worry about allying with France and Russia to kill the HRE or something weird
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

panzerde

Quote from: mikeck on December 19, 2016, 07:31:33 PM
Quote from: Philippe on December 16, 2016, 11:27:04 AM
I have a nagging suspicion that Ageod is jinxed when it comes to Napoleonic games, which is why I didn't buy this one.

My guess is because - as we all know- it wasn't A war....it was SEVERAL wars. That means being able to form alliances and coalitions which are not this engines strong suit. No one wants to play just one campaign but it's hard to say "it's 1803...fight!" Without the ability to ally. It's just too big of a conflict I think.



I want to play just one campaign. Meaning, I want the various campaigns broken out as scenarios. I'm completely uninterested in the "Grand Campaign" that always seems to show up in games like these. I want to play the Marengo campaign, and I want to play the 1809 campaign against Austria, and I want the 1806 campaign versus Prussia, etc. What I don't want is an unwieldy mess of a so-called Grand Campaign that starts with something the resembles the reality of say, 1800, and then gets progressively less and less like what really happened, and has no hope of presenting anything remotely accurate because the simulation is too coarse and the AI isn't good enough.


If I want to do that, I'll play Civilization. There's nothing wrong with Civilization, but it isn't a Napoleonic strategy game. The idea that somehow you can pull off a Napoleonic grand campaign game is the reason that there has never, ever been a decent Napoleonic strategic war game. 
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres