Wait, a proper WH40k game? Turn based dawn of war shenanigans?

Started by undercovergeek, August 02, 2016, 07:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Cyrano

$29.99 for AMIs on Steam.

Please observe that they've installed PBEM++ for a game on Steam.

On Steam.

My son and I have been playing Borderlands 2 for hours at a time, sometimes with his cousin.  Our sessions last far longer than any game of Sanctus Reach is likely to prove.  This is becoming tedious.

Mark 1:3

In space, no one can hear the stupid.

But it cries softly to itself.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

Somebody really dislikes PBEM++   ???


Or is it the lack of direct IP multi-player?

PipFromSlitherine

Almost every game we have on Steam supports PBEM++, so not sure why it would be a shock.  Ignoring the problems with actually organising games that you have to sit through, the main issue isn't the length of a session, it's the time spent sitting waiting on your opponent to make their move, in front of a static map.

But I appreciate that if you dislike the approach, no amount of telling you how many people love it is going to change your mind.

Cheers

Pip

Cyrano

Entirely the latter.

It's significantly diminished my desire to play Fields of Glory, Pike and Shot, Battle Academy, and now this as each of these could be easily played in single-sitting IP sessions.

...and I can't say I'm not peeved that this trade is being made in the interest of what began as a DRM.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Cyrano

@Pip:  No shock, disappointment.

And long sessions staring at a map? That's what we used to call gaming.  Many still do.

PBEM++ Delenda Est
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart


panzerde

Quote from: Cyrano on January 19, 2017, 01:47:06 PM
@Pip:  No shock, disappointment.

And long sessions staring at a map? That's what we used to call gaming.  Many still do.

PBEM++ Delenda Est


I keep trying to get you to try Vassal with some actual wargames, but oh, no...


Probably too busy mixing components between boxes.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Barthheart

Quote from: panzerde on January 19, 2017, 01:51:20 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on January 19, 2017, 01:47:06 PM
@Pip:  No shock, disappointment.

And long sessions staring at a map? That's what we used to call gaming.  Many still do.

PBEM++ Delenda Est


I keep trying to get you to try Vassal with some actual wargames, but oh, no...


Probably too busy mixing components between boxes.

Speaking of which, Doug, we need to get a game going... of anything.
:D

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

PipFromSlitherine

Quote from: Cyrano on January 19, 2017, 01:44:46 PM
Entirely the latter.

It's significantly diminished my desire to play Fields of Glory, Pike and Shot, Battle Academy, and now this as each of these could be easily played in single-sitting IP sessions.

...and I can't say I'm not peeved that this trade is being made in the interest of what began as a DRM.
I'm not sure what the DRM line is about.  The system has nothing to do with any DRM-type thinking.  It's something we came up with for turn-based games to remove the hassles of trying to set up and complete games.  This change led to our games having 1000s-10000s of games ongoing at one time, rather than (literally) single digits.  That said, we do have some games (and desire for more) that support modes more similar to the kind of thing you seem to be preferential toward.

Cheers

Pip

Barthheart


panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

@Pip:  This is all the fallacy of the wicked alternative.  For all my ranting, I loathe PBEM++ only because it seems to have supplanted direct play for you guys.  Give me direct play and I'll even promise to say nice things about PBEM++ for those that like it.

@Doug:  There you have me.  I still want to give Marengo an HTH at some point, though.

@Vance:  I have an howitzer and am NOT afraid to use it.  You kids damn well will stay off my lawn.





Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

It's true, he does have a howitzer.


Marengo HTH any time is good with me. I been practicin'!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JasonPratt

Well, I'm fine with PBEM++. And aside from a reported bug killing and restarting all progress after finishing the first mission (which I suppose will soon be fixed), I'm ready to buy it today! I see it on Steam!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/502370/reviews/?browsefilter=toprated&snr=1_5_reviews_#scrollTop=0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!