Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DoctorQuest

We need a Grogs Linux team. Or at least maybe a sticky tech topic for folks to share information.

I get frustrated by most of the Linux community. A lot of them are snots when it comes to helping those less knowledgeable but they have plenty of time to denigrate Windows users as stupid. I've seen it on these forums.

I'm ready to replace my wife's Win 10 machine with a Mac. F**k you, MS.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bbmike

Well, we had Huw but he's been silent for quite some time now.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on March 17, 2017, 03:47:20 PM
Well, we had Huw but he's been silent for quite some time now.

He was the resident Linux expert.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

I know. I hope he's ok. One wonders what happens to people to annoy Microsoft.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

All hail Emperor Gates!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 17, 2017, 03:53:46 PM
I know. I hope he's ok. One wonders what happens to people to annoy Microsoft.

He is OK, I talk to him on Steam now and again. He has, for whatever reason, stopped posting here.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

DoctorQuest

Quote from: bob48 on March 17, 2017, 04:39:56 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 17, 2017, 03:53:46 PM
I know. I hope he's ok. One wonders what happens to people to annoy Microsoft.

He is OK, I talk to him on Steam now and again. He has, for whatever reason, stopped posting here.

Good to hear he is OK.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 17, 2017, 05:06:29 PM
Quote from: bob48 on March 17, 2017, 04:39:56 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 17, 2017, 03:53:46 PM
I know. I hope he's ok. One wonders what happens to people to annoy Microsoft.

He is OK, I talk to him on Steam now and again. He has, for whatever reason, stopped posting here.

Good to hear he is OK.

+1
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Very glad to hear Huw is ok. Tell him to drop us a line sometime.


A linux grog subforum would be quite welcome. I've tried to make the switch to Linux several times now only to be stymied by stupid stuff like getting printers to work. I'm getting ready to try again and trying to decide between two different 'distros' (versions of linux):  LinuxMint and Ubuntu. Ubunto is slightly closer to OSX in 'feel' and Mint slightly closer to Windows. For any others trying to decide here's an article about the two:
http://lifehacker.com/5993297/ubuntu-vs-mint-which-linux-distro-is-better-for-beginners

The biggest hurdle to sticking with Linux of any kind is accepting that sooner or later you will have to use it''s version of Terminal and command line, at least occasionally. I imagine that there must be quite a few grogs who are already familiar with them. Most of the general  population who use Windows or OSX may never even need to know those things exist.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Linux command line isn't too bad. If you need to know how to tank an Apache server,  let me know.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Why do I get the feeling those instructions would be preceded by "You know,in the end it's actually a funny story but..."
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Martok

Quote from: mirth on March 17, 2017, 10:52:31 AM
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/17/14956540/microsoft-windows-10-ads-taskbar-file-explorer
What a bunch of goobers.  :buck2: 



Quote from: Staggerwing on March 17, 2017, 06:45:37 PM
Why do I get the feeling those instructions would be preceded by "You know,in the end it's actually a funny story but..."
It's like you know him or something... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

steve58

So, if you want that latest, fastset CPU, Microsoft sez...

Quote
Microsoft is blocking Windows 7 and 8 updates on Intel's seventh generation Core i3, i5 and i7 (Kaby Lake), AMD's Ryzen (Bristol Ridge) and Qualcomm's 8996 processors. Devices powered by these processors must update to Windows 10 in order to receive updates from Microsoft.

The problem will manifest only when you try to run Windows Update, when you'll see an error message: "Windows could not search for new updates" and "Code 80240037 Windows Update encountered an unknown error".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2017/03/17/microsoft-admits-forcing-more-users-onto-windows-10/#77cff197780f
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Martok

Seriously, it's like they're actively trying to get their customers to hate them.  >:(  ::) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces