Main Menu

Paradox on a roll!

Started by Jarhead0331, April 06, 2017, 08:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Not only do we get to try out Steel Divisions, but today Stellaris Utopia and EUIV Mandate of Heaven are released!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/553280/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/538020/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Ubercat

And the first review of Mandate of Heaven is in.  :DD

"In the past, Paradox lost their Common Sense and allowed The Cossacks to loot our pockets in their Mare Nostrum of DLCs, making us lose our Rights of Man. Now, they really think they got a Mandate of Heaven to simply demand from loyal fans 20€ for this DLC. Extra features are nice but definetely not at this price. A guy like me always has to buy their overpriced DLCs. It makes me cry and ponder why. And there are many who go to a certain bay and do not pay. Please Paradox, read this, change your way for a better day, make what is right, end our plight and stop being our purse's biggest blight! Thank you for reading my review, feel free to leave a like but please dont act as if you were from a certain reich."
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

mikeck

 Yep. It's not for me because I don't like China so I won't buy it. But I certainly don't agree with the poster that paradox is overcharging. They charge what they can get; and if they can't get, then they'll charge less.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

OJsDad

Cripes!  I didn't buy either DLC, yet, but the Stellaris game update is 787MB.  The EUIV update is 150mb.  People get upset about the price of DLC, but have no problem with the free updates they get, which is enough to make be purchase, at some point, the DLC to support Paradox.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Yskonyn

I will hold off on EU4's DLC, but I have inmediately grabbed Utopia for Stellaris. It has some great additions to the game and couples with the Banks update I am excited to start a new game!
Usually I wait for Pdox DLC to be discounted heavily in the next big Steam sale, but I'll make an exception for Utopia. Hopefully it delivers!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

solops

Stellaris: I am unimpressed with the Utopia DLC and think it is ridiculously overpriced. $40 for the game and $20 for a DLC that adds a couple of new features that the AI probably cannot use properly? That is disproportionate pricing. Some of the DLC is available as mods. Most of the rest is uninspiring to me. Some of it I don't think I'll like. I might give $5 or $8 for it. For a DLC it is a naked cash grab. But, as long as people pay for it....I may need to buy some Paradox stock, as they are publicly traded in Sweden. As an investor, I admire their financial management. Do they pay dividends?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

CJReich46

I'm sorely tempted to grab Utopia. They really did a big improvement with Banks 1.5 update.

Not to say I intend to fill up for a few CK II DLCs. Would like to get Conclave, Reaper, Monks.


" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Tpek

Considering the ongoing Paradox sale I'd thought to try filling up on the CK2 and EU4 DLCs I lack...
Seems like ~140-150$ for each title.  ???

Paradox are surely rolling...in cash.

solops

"Big" patches should not necessarily impress anyone. Reading the patch notes should give you an indication of whether or not the patch is full of a lot of repackaged material already in the game or if it is new stuff.

CK2 and EU4.... yeah, I have been waiting for a year+ on some of the DLC to go down to a reasonable price. Every once in a while I get to pick one up.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

Tpek

^This way, by the time you pick them all, CK3 and EU5 will be out and getting DLCs every other day.

solops

#10
Yup, I have found that buying and playing 1/2 to 1 "generations" behind the current generation of a game series that I save LOTS of money and get to play complete and mostly bug-free, polished games. A win all around, IMO. If publishers would produce finished and bug-free games I might start buying new releases. Indie companies are much better about this than the big boys.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

Martok

I'm waiting for the inevitable patch/hotfix for Utopia/Banks, but there's no question I'll be getting Utopia. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

jomni

#12
Mandate of Heaven.  My kind of setting.  Though they used the same name as our DLC. Of course the term has no copyright. :bd:

ghostryder


Utopia is getting a lot of posative reviews. in fact i've only seen one negative review thus far on steam--and all sum it up as the DLC the game needed to go from good to great. I'm diffently going to get it as I liked the base game enough to play it quite a bit.




In typical paradox fashion they have released thier "Game Making" DLC. The DLC that turns thier game from a game with good potential to a good game.

This DLC adds a deph to empire structure that was sadly lacking before. And the ability to make your ideal alien society is brought closer to realization. Super Structures are amazing game changers that quickly turns into an arms race. And the introduction of Habitats adds an interesting dynamic to growing tall.

What I love most about this update is the introduction of a Hivemind mechanic, Hiveminds alone could warrent it's own DLC in the future, I would love to see that.


All in all this is an amazing DLC that adds much needed depth and endgame content to what before seemed like a robust framework. This is a welcomed addition to what is quickly becoming my favorite Paradox game.

solops

#14
Paradox went public last year. Their ticker is PDX on a European subsidiary of the NASDAQ. Picking some up! If I am going to be gouged, I want to make a buck out of it.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.