CM Fortress Italy Upgrade 4

Started by JudgeDredd, March 28, 2017, 04:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Michael Dorosh

Thanks, gents. Thought maybe I had missed some big announcement. I am subscribed to their newsletter but it seems to always bring the 'big' news a couple of weeks or more 'after' the big thing has been released.

Sounds like they are in Montgomery mode, 'tidying up their lines' so to speak and bringing the current stuff up to the same standard. Some logic in it, I guess.

undercovergeek

Probably a reworking of the entire engine - CM3 so to speak

ArizonaTank

For some reason, my upgrade never took. 

I bought the upgrade, applied it, but Gustav Line was then deactivated.  After a few weeks go around with the help desk (they were actually very responsive, but I was traveling so I could not respond timely), I had to deactivate, reinstall and then I managed to get Gustav working again.  But the upgrade did not take. 

Anyway, after several hours of futzing around with CMFI / GL and upgrade, I just gave up.... and I am out my $10....

As nice and as friendly as the help desk is, they are supporting a stupid upgrade / activation scheme. 

I won't be buying any more upgrades until they figure out a better way.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Ubercat

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 02, 2017, 03:26:24 PM
I won't be buying any more upgrades until they figure out a better way.

They won't, for two reasons. Number 1: People keep buying their games with the shitty DLC scheme, and B: They keep taking heat* for the shitty DLC so coming up with a better alternative would be too much like swallowing pride and admitting error.

*Not on their own well policed forums.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

demjansk1942

I lost interest in all these upgrades, to me, a lousy way to do this plus the games don't go down in price.  I am not paying $55.00 for Black Sea when I can get a few other top games for the same price.  I have moved to Matrix for most games

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 02, 2017, 03:26:24 PM
For some reason, my upgrade never took. 

I bought the upgrade, applied it, but Gustav Line was then deactivated.  After a few weeks go around with the help desk (they were actually very responsive, but I was traveling so I could not respond timely), I had to deactivate, reinstall and then I managed to get Gustav working again.  But the upgrade did not take. 

Anyway, after several hours of futzing around with CMFI / GL and upgrade, I just gave up.... and I am out my $10....

As nice and as friendly as the help desk is, they are supporting a stupid upgrade / activation scheme. 

I won't be buying any more upgrades until they figure out a better way.

I managed to upgrade CMBN and CMRT but for some reason, my Gustav Line was deactivated. My Fortress Italy seems equally useless now.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on April 06, 2017, 10:28:33 PM
I managed to upgrade CMBN and CMRT but for some reason, my Gustav Line was deactivated. My Fortress Italy seems equally useless now.

well, at least now I don't feel alone, or crazy...;)
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

RyanE

I had the same issue also.  A couple things:

You need to install updates and patches in specific order and make sure you still have activations for GL.  I had an issue where I somehow lost an activation during upgrades.  I ended up spending $5 on CMFI 3.0 again to get some back.

RyanE

This discussion made me go back over and see what the status of the update is.  Looks like it is still a little bit before its released.  I guess this shows why the product release speed is crawling.  If it takes this long and this much effort to fix the OOBs for one game's upgrade, it must take years o develop a new game or module.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: RyanE on April 07, 2017, 06:04:30 AM
I had the same issue also.  A couple things:

You need to install updates and patches in specific order and make sure you still have activations for GL.  I had an issue where I somehow lost an activation during upgrades.  I ended up spending $5 on CMFI 3.0 again to get some back.

To fix it, I did a complete deactivation, then step by step install.  And after a few hours of that (looking for old SNs etc.), I just got a very bad taste in my mouth for the whole process.  I gave up once I got to a place where GL was at least working again...even though the new version did not take.

I'm too old and too busy to be spending hours of my life fixing software installs for games when there are so many other great options.

IMHO, my experience with the CMFI patch is an example of the kind of dogged devotion to protecting IP that eventually made Storm Eagle Studios the powerhouse of computer publishing it has become..(lots of dripping sarcasm...;) ):  I would hate to see Battlefront go down the same path.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

RyanE

I think BFC recognizes that to some extent.  It has gotten better, but every change in DRM strategy seems to come with new issues.

Michael Dorosh

Interesting discussion guys, thanks.

sandman2575

Quote from: RyanE on April 07, 2017, 06:20:36 AM
I guess this shows why the product release speed is crawling.  If it takes this long and this much effort to fix the OOBs for one game's upgrade, it must take years o develop a new game or module.

I do find it a bit shocking how long it's taking them to get the 4.0 update ready for FI/GL. When they released 4.0 in December, they mentioned that FI/GL still needed "a little more time" -- well, it has been over 3 months now... and still waiting. Agree it does not bode well for the pace of putting out actual new content, which really doesn't appear to be anywhere on the horizon, since updating Shock Force doesn't really fit the bill.

RyanE

I think the CMSF upgrade in 2017 is very suspect.  My guess is probably mid- to end-2018.  That is a whole lot of content and if CMFI is taking 4-5 months just fix OOBs, I can't imagine how long the CMSF modules will take.

And we were already a quarter through 2017, plus all the other things they say they are working on.

jomni

Quote from: RyanE on April 07, 2017, 02:14:32 PM
I think the CMSF upgrade in 2017 is very suspect.  My guess is probably mid- to end-2018.  That is a whole lot of content and if CMFI is taking 4-5 months just fix OOBs, I can't imagine how long the CMSF modules will take.

And we were already a quarter through 2017, plus all the other things they say they are working on.

What if they just do the main game?  Have people re-buy it.  Then do the modules later and have people re-buy them again.   :wow: