The Future of the Total War Series

Started by Gusington, June 07, 2017, 05:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

#15
Quote from: Ian C on June 08, 2017, 09:03:22 AM


My money is on one of the world wars. I'd like to think It's WW2.


Ugh.

You'd hear me bitching like some guys do about having a Warhammer series.


Obviously they're doing a viking offshoot from Attila.  Because vikings are the new zombie fad.   :-\  I just hope it has as wide a geographic scope as possible, for the period, and isn't such a small focus that it seems like a mini-campaign DLC.


I'd be a bit surprised if they push the Total War series into the 20th century.  It's always been about old-school line battles.  I can only imagine how poorly suited a TW game engine would be to more modern warfare.  But it doesn't stop the usual suspects asking for it.  :idiot2:  Maybe there's a small chance they'd attempt WW1, but I still think it would be a mess.  WW2?  Would just be a train wreck of a money grab.

For the one that's not been done before, I'm still expecting a renaissance one.  Or possibly thirty years war?  I think they'd be interesting, and fit the line battle style of the TW engine.  Or Ancient China.  Or Bronze Age.  Maybe even Victorian, which could be cool, but that would be hitting the limits.

With numerous interesting candidates, I'd be very disappointed if their next "new" historical setting was one that's been regularly used in strategy PC games.


Gusington

I am also still expecting the Renaissance. I am not expecting anything in the 20th century.

I am surprised they are still working on Attila content, too, zombie Vikings, etc.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I want ACW using the Fall of the Samurai engine!  Dammit!   :tickedoff: Or maybe, "Cowboys and Indians Total War".
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

There are customized mods for Fall of the Samurai that cover the ACW in custom battles. No campaigns as far as I know.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Proper Renaissance, or China (any of several distinct periods), would make the most sense; and my betting money would be on China

Reasons! -- in no particular order.

1.) Three Kingdoms period is popular outside China.

2.) The fans have been expecting and asking for China for... literally decades now?  :dreamer: Aside from LotR/Warhammer, this has been the biggest request.

3.) Super-distinctive artwork, so it looks great in the TW engine. Which also always helps marketing.

4.) Doesn't require reworking the engine much if at all: functionally it would be equivalent to Shogun 2.

5.) Plenty of distinct periods to DLC.

6.) Plenty of distinct neighbors to play with, originally and/or by DLC.

7.) Wuxia means they can do crazy fantasy units as much as they want, ideally by DLC. (Or just the equivalent of flaming war pigs and sword saints.)

8.) Opens the door eventually to India, which would be an obscure but highly exotic and deep TW experience that hasn't been done before.

Note that TW:India would have all the same franchise expansion/milking advantages as China, except for less popular call for it: massive and varied land area with colorful fringe neighbors, colorful artwork, lonnnnnnnng history to draw multiple periods from, doesn't need specially new mechanics, and plenty of fantasy potential for expansions of that sort.


To either TW:India or TW:China could be added a vastly huge (potential or actual) new market thirsty for quality games respecting their cultures.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

But Oriental Empires is already out!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

#21
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 08, 2017, 10:52:10 AM
Proper Renaissance, or China (any of several distinct periods), would make the most sense; and my betting money would be on China

Reasons! -- in no particular order.

1.) Three Kingdoms period is popular outside China.

2.) The fans have been expecting and asking for China for... literally decades now?  :dreamer: Aside from LotR/Warhammer, this has been the biggest request.

3.) Super-distinctive artwork, so it looks great in the TW engine. Which also always helps marketing.

4.) Doesn't require reworking the engine much if at all: functionally it would be equivalent to Shogun 2.

5.) Plenty of distinct periods to DLC.

6.) Plenty of distinct neighbors to play with, originally and/or by DLC.

7.) Wuxia means they can do crazy fantasy units as much as they want, ideally by DLC. (Or just the equivalent of flaming war pigs and sword saints.)

8.) Opens the door eventually to India, which would be an obscure but highly exotic and deep TW experience that hasn't been done before.



While I wouldn't mind having a Three Kingdoms TW, I'd rather have a historical one than a fantasy Wuxia version with flying sword ladies & such.   :)


Besides... some of these guys were about to break out the torches & pitchforks for having a Warhammer fantasy one.  Could get physical if a new TW did another fantasy genre.  :hide:

Gusington

As is tradition with all TW threads here. Tradition!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I would hope the fantasy elements could be reserved for a DLC / expansion.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

sandman2575

Well, if only to push Nef's buttons further, I would kill to see CA bring Total War into the 20th c., and WW2 in particular.   <:-)

Sir Slash's ACW idea would also be very intriguing.

mikeck

#25
Quote from: Gusington on June 08, 2017, 08:31:44 AM
That would be good. Total War: Renaissance would be gooder.
Not to be a grammar nazi....but it's "more gooder"

And yeah, i would love a 1453-1648 TW
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Ian C

Quote from: Gusington on June 08, 2017, 09:36:19 AM
I am also still expecting the Renaissance.

Argh, that period got by me. It could be -fits all the clues.

Well, Total War As Is couldn't do WW2, but engine change is not unheard of.

I would revel at the thought of playing out each battle on a mini-version of each location with WW2 forces. Current WW2 games have either strategic play or tactical play, never both. If they could pull off both, with accuracy, with all the usual TW bells & whistles, I would be very happy.

bob48

I don't really think that the TW style of game engine would be appropriate for games later than 19th century. However, ECW or 30YW would be nice.

Just my opinion, of course.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Toonces

China would be cool.  Also Wars of the Roses and perhaps Game of Thrones would be neat as well.

I can't recommend strongly enough against WW1 or 2.  And, while ACW might be fun for one-off battles, I just don't think the operational map would work to really capture the nuances of ACW.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 08, 2017, 03:26:24 PM
Well, if only to push Nef's buttons further, I would kill to see CA bring Total War into the 20th c., and WW2 in particular.   <:-)


You should go even further.

Have it named "Total War: Tiger Attack!"  or "Total War: Panzer Blitz!"

^-^

:))