Main Menu

VR?

Started by Jarhead0331, April 05, 2016, 10:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 18, 2017, 09:38:29 AM
I have tested the HMD in DCS World and in Elite Dangerous and I was completely awestruck! The experience is something you really *have* to experience to be able to talk about it!

I've been saying this repeatedly since day 1. Its nice to have someone else around here who now understands.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Rayfer

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you have to be standing up with sufficient room to do arm motions? I remember reading something about this when these first came out.

Jarhead0331

#62
Quote from: Rayfer on July 18, 2017, 10:13:37 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you have to be standing up with sufficient room to do arm motions? I remember reading something about this when these first came out.

There are two types of play modes. Seated and Room-scale. They typically support different types of games. In a game like DCS or Elite Dangerous, you do not need standing room, or room to move. These games are meant to be played from the seated position. However, other games require either 2mx2m or 3mx3m area to play. My space is BARELY 2mx2m. I have limited room to move around and always have to be careful when I am raising or swinging my arms. Additionally, as I am 6'3", I am unable to go prone, which is unfortunate in games like Onward, which are very tactical and which provide a lot of terrain for cover and concealment. Limitations on my ability to move definitely serve as a disadvantage when playing against experienced players. I've smashed more than a few objects swinging my arms around in Raw Data, Sairento VR and Gorn. These are intense combat games that involve gun and sword play, dodging bullets and weapons, and which require you to physically interact with the world around you.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JasonPratt

Re Gorn:


...coming soon, VR Horta?  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 18, 2017, 10:36:49 AM
Re Gorn:


...coming soon, VR Horta?  >:D

Nah. Its a gladiatorial game. Very fun and over the top.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/578620/GORN/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2017, 10:20:22 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on July 18, 2017, 10:13:37 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you have to be standing up with sufficient room to do arm motions? I remember reading something about this when these first came out.

There are two types of play modes. Seated and Room-scale. They typically support different types of games. In a game like DCS or Elite Dangerous, you do not need standing room, or room to move. These games are meant to be played from the seated position. However, other games require either 2mx2m or 3mx3m area to play. My space is BARELY 2mx2m. I have limited room to move around and always have to be careful when I am raising or swinging my arms. Additionally, as I am 6'3", I am unable to go prone, which is unfortunate in games like Onward, which are very tactical and which provide a lot of terrain for cover and concealment. Limitations on my ability to move definitely serve as a disadvantage when playing against experienced players. I've smashed more than a few objects swinging my arms around in Raw Data, Sairento VR and Gorn. These are intense combat games that involve gun and sword play, dodging bullets and weapons, and which require you to physically interact with the world around you.

Thanks JH.  Apart from price, I suspect the need for that much dedicated room might hold some people back, especially those in small apartments and condos. Regardless, this will probably be our gaming future.

Staggerwing

Well, not being sure when the sales would end I took the plunge and ordered the Rift w/ Touch bundle. I don't when it will ship and it will be a few weeks/months before I can 'invest' in a gfx card that will run VR. That will give me time to clean up the spare room/game room/maker space where I intend to use it. About time too since right now it's pretty cluttered in there- a definite productivity/creativity killer.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2017, 09:47:57 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on July 18, 2017, 09:38:29 AM
I have tested the HMD in DCS World and in Elite Dangerous and I was completely awestruck! The experience is something you really *have* to experience to be able to talk about it!

I've been saying this repeatedly since day 1. Its nice to have someone else around here who now understands.

JH I presume you own a vive ? Occlus with the price reductions and the new touch controllers now might be an option. Do you have any views on the vive vs Occlus ? I have read the vive is a "better experience" but is more complex to set up and you need more space... just be interested to know if you have experience of both what your view is....
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Zulu1966 on July 19, 2017, 07:19:39 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2017, 09:47:57 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on July 18, 2017, 09:38:29 AM
I have tested the HMD in DCS World and in Elite Dangerous and I was completely awestruck! The experience is something you really *have* to experience to be able to talk about it!

I've been saying this repeatedly since day 1. Its nice to have someone else around here who now understands.

JH I presume you own a vive ? Occlus with the price reductions and the new touch controllers now might be an option. Do you have any views on the vive vs Occlus ? I have read the vive is a "better experience" but is more complex to set up and you need more space... just be interested to know if you have experience of both what your view is....

Yes. I have the Vive, which is generally regarded as the superior, more capable product out of the box. However, for every one thing the Vive does better, there is something else that the Oculus excels at. One major factor that had me considering a rift purchase is the touch controllers. However, Vive is working on their comparable product called the "knuckle" controllers and once again, they look to be superior to the touch. Vive is also working on a whole series of peripherals, including guns, swords, etc.

Oculus definitely had the edge on more and better exclusive titles, but revive software that permits Vive players to run oculus exclusives eliminated that advantage. Finally, I hear it's the Vive that is easier to set up when compared to the rift, but I've never set up a rift so I'm not sure.

At the end of the day, there really seems to be no Reason to own both systems. They are very comparable and both use basically the same generation of technology. It would just be a lateral move.

That being said, if I didn't already own the Vive, the current sale on the rift would be a no brainer and would definitely be a major determinative factor for me. It's a superb deal.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2017, 07:31:56 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on July 19, 2017, 07:19:39 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2017, 09:47:57 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on July 18, 2017, 09:38:29 AM
I have tested the HMD in DCS World and in Elite Dangerous and I was completely awestruck! The experience is something you really *have* to experience to be able to talk about it!

I've been saying this repeatedly since day 1. Its nice to have someone else around here who now understands.

JH I presume you own a vive ? Occlus with the price reductions and the new touch controllers now might be an option. Do you have any views on the vive vs Occlus ? I have read the vive is a "better experience" but is more complex to set up and you need more space... just be interested to know if you have experience of both what your view is....

Yes. I have the Vive, which is generally regarded as the superior, more capable product out of the box. However, for every one thing the Vive does better, there is something else that the Oculus excels at. One major factor that had me considering a rift purchase is the touch controllers. However, Vive is working on their comparable product called the "knuckle" controllers and once again, they look to be superior to the touch. Vive is also working on a whole series of peripherals, including guns, swords, etc.

Oculus definitely had the edge on more and better exclusive titles, but revive software that permits Vive players to run oculus exclusives eliminated that advantage. Finally, I hear it's the Vive that is easier to set up when compared to the rift, but I've never set up a rift so I'm not sure.

At the end of the day, there really seems to be no Reason to own both systems. They are very comparable and both use basically the same generation of technology. It would just be a lateral move.

That being said, if I didn't already own the Vive, the current sale on the rift would be a no brainer and would definitely be a major determinative factor for me. It's a superb deal.

Reminds me of the Beta vs. VHS competition back in the 1980's. Back then only one could survive and thrive.  Do you think ultimately it will be this way with Vive vs. Oculus?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on July 19, 2017, 09:35:16 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2017, 07:31:56 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on July 19, 2017, 07:19:39 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2017, 09:47:57 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on July 18, 2017, 09:38:29 AM
I have tested the HMD in DCS World and in Elite Dangerous and I was completely awestruck! The experience is something you really *have* to experience to be able to talk about it!

I've been saying this repeatedly since day 1. Its nice to have someone else around here who now understands.

JH I presume you own a vive ? Occlus with the price reductions and the new touch controllers now might be an option. Do you have any views on the vive vs Occlus ? I have read the vive is a "better experience" but is more complex to set up and you need more space... just be interested to know if you have experience of both what your view is....

Yes. I have the Vive, which is generally regarded as the superior, more capable product out of the box. However, for every one thing the Vive does better, there is something else that the Oculus excels at. One major factor that had me considering a rift purchase is the touch controllers. However, Vive is working on their comparable product called the "knuckle" controllers and once again, they look to be superior to the touch. Vive is also working on a whole series of peripherals, including guns, swords, etc.

Oculus definitely had the edge on more and better exclusive titles, but revive software that permits Vive players to run oculus exclusives eliminated that advantage. Finally, I hear it's the Vive that is easier to set up when compared to the rift, but I've never set up a rift so I'm not sure.

At the end of the day, there really seems to be no Reason to own both systems. They are very comparable and both use basically the same generation of technology. It would just be a lateral move.

That being said, if I didn't already own the Vive, the current sale on the rift would be a no brainer and would definitely be a major determinative factor for me. It's a superb deal.

Reminds me of the Beta vs. VHS competition back in the 1980's. Back then only one could survive and thrive.  Do you think ultimately it will be this way with Vive vs. Oculus?

Absolutely not. I don't see a comparison there. Beta and VHS were pretty different platforms and there were some issues, if I recall, that led to VHS being the clear winner of the "format war". I think Vive and Rift are more like Ford and Chevy. They are both great and there is a place for both systems.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

I didn't think there were issues with Betamax - I thought it was the case that pron adopted VHS  :2funny:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2017, 09:41:10 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on July 19, 2017, 09:35:16 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2017, 07:31:56 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on July 19, 2017, 07:19:39 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2017, 09:47:57 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on July 18, 2017, 09:38:29 AM
I have tested the HMD in DCS World and in Elite Dangerous and I was completely awestruck! The experience is something you really *have* to experience to be able to talk about it!

I've been saying this repeatedly since day 1. Its nice to have someone else around here who now understands.

JH I presume you own a vive ? Occlus with the price reductions and the new touch controllers now might be an option. Do you have any views on the vive vs Occlus ? I have read the vive is a "better experience" but is more complex to set up and you need more space... just be interested to know if you have experience of both what your view is....

Yes. I have the Vive, which is generally regarded as the superior, more capable product out of the box. However, for every one thing the Vive does better, there is something else that the Oculus excels at. One major factor that had me considering a rift purchase is the touch controllers. However, Vive is working on their comparable product called the "knuckle" controllers and once again, they look to be superior to the touch. Vive is also working on a whole series of peripherals, including guns, swords, etc.

Oculus definitely had the edge on more and better exclusive titles, but revive software that permits Vive players to run oculus exclusives eliminated that advantage. Finally, I hear it's the Vive that is easier to set up when compared to the rift, but I've never set up a rift so I'm not sure.

At the end of the day, there really seems to be no Reason to own both systems. They are very comparable and both use basically the same generation of technology. It would just be a lateral move.

That being said, if I didn't already own the Vive, the current sale on the rift would be a no brainer and would definitely be a major determinative factor for me. It's a superb deal.

Reminds me of the Beta vs. VHS competition back in the 1980's. Back then only one could survive and thrive.  Do you think ultimately it will be this way with Vive vs. Oculus?

Absolutely not. I don't see a comparison there. Beta and VHS were pretty different platforms and there were some issues, if I recall, that led to VHS being the clear winner of the "format war". I think Vive and Rift are more like Ford and Chevy. They are both great and there is a place for both systems.

Interesting JH. Beta and VHS were incompatible with each other.  A movie rented/bought in one format wouldn't work in the other.  How does it work with Vive and Oculus.  Can the same purchased game work on both?  If yes, then I suspect you are right.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on July 19, 2017, 11:27:26 AM

Interesting JH. Beta and VHS were incompatible with each other.  A movie rented/bought in one format wouldn't work in the other.  How does it work with Vive and Oculus.  Can the same purchased game work on both?  If yes, then I suspect you are right.


Yes. Games are generally compatible for both, unless they are exclusive to one platform or the other. However, recently software was released for the Vive called "reVive" that permits a Vive owner to play Rift exclusive titles. For awhile, Rift had much better exclusive titles because Oculus was funding their development. However, this advantage has been eliminated by the reVive software. Any incompatibility from one system to the other is not due to differences in hardware. it is artificial software imposed limitations only.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Zulu1966

Thanks JH. Had a deal pop up on a Google ad today that offered the occulus AND a pc that could run it for only  a couple of hundred more than a vive. The price cut is obviously temporary and designed to get market share but wondering if HTC will do same at some point.....
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.