Naval Action TESTBED - Tests new ships and moves to UNITY 5

Started by Destraex, August 26, 2017, 11:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Destraex

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/22197-testbed-unity-5-testing-next-week-15-21-aug/?page=5

The move to Unity 5 will allow the devs to add many more ships than they could before. I am hoping it also  improves a lot of other things.

L'Hermione


WASA


The name of this Prince De Neufchatel (what a mouth full)
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

DennisS

Quote from: Destraex on August 26, 2017, 11:17:08 PM
http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/22197-testbed-unity-5-testing-next-week-15-21-aug/?page=5

The move to Unity 5 will allow the devs to add many more ships than they could before. I am hoping it also  improves a lot of other things.

L'Hermione


WASA


The name of this Prince De Neufchatel (what a mouth full)


I go onto the server, and I see 100 people. You can't support a game, if you have 500 people playing across several servers. Is this game dead? I can sail for an hour, and not see another human.

Oh...I am an Admiral, with several hundred hours in the game...and am not real happy with the way things are going.

Destraex

The population knows there will eventually be another wipe. The game goes through the usual development cycles of a major patch leading to a population spike. Then a period of 100 or so players on the US server in my prime time. I also do this. I play with each patch but don't go too crazy knowing a wipe is coming. Another thing that happens is that a particular faction like the pirates becomes powerful and wipes out the other. Before they lose interest and leave for a period. I enjoy it without humans as much as with.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Having said all of this. Naval action does not have all of the poker machine style prompting that a game like world of warships does, nor does it have a large dev team. It's harder than most games to get into, because it has some really nice realistic sailing mechanics. The devs are trying to balance the grind and final mechanics before putting the final touches on the game for release. It's a good road though. They are, I feel making strides in the right direction. I am hoping that they implement proper pirate non nation mechanics to ensure pirates act like pirates. Rather than being the cool kids super nation that everybody defaults to when they are bad. Currently without any options to come.back through a pardon system. So yeah itw beta. You may be right in the end. It may be too niche to survive. But its the best damned sailing game I have ever played and I enjoy it. I will continue to play it on and off until release. Will see what happens after that. Will prolly want to play this and star citizen.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jomni

Quote from: Destraex on August 28, 2017, 02:42:30 AM
Having said all of this. Naval action does not have all of the poker machine style prompting that a game like world of warships does, nor does it have a large dev team. It's harder than most games to get into, because it has some really nice realistic sailing mechanics. The devs are trying to balance the grind and final mechanics before putting the final touches on the game for release. It's a good road though. They are, I feel making strides in the right direction. I am hoping that they implement proper pirate non nation mechanics to ensure pirates act like pirates. Rather than being the cool kids super nation that everybody defaults to when they are bad. Currently without any options to come.back through a pardon system. So yeah itw beta. You may be right in the end. It may be too niche to survive. But its the best damned sailing game I have ever played and I enjoy it. I will continue to play it on and off until release. Will see what happens after that. Will prolly want to play this and star citizen.

Why not just concentrate on battles?  No open world pirate stuff?  No levelling.  No grinding.  Just one fleet vs another fleet in limited combat like when it started.

Destraex

Because the open world is nice. Plus many purchased the game after they expanded it to open world by popular demand. This really was a case of them being serious about early access feedback. I personally think they have done a good job. The game really makes you feel like an 18c - early 19c tall ship captain. It's just nice to sail around while you do other things tbh.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Pete Dero

Quote from: Destraex on August 28, 2017, 08:02:59 AM
Because the open world is nice. Plus many purchased the game after they expanded it to open world by popular demand. This really was a case of them being serious about early access feedback. I personally think they have done a good job. The game really makes you feel like an 18c - early 19c tall ship captain. It's just nice to sail around while you do other things tbh.

No reason not to combine the two (e.g Total War : campaign or single battles).  I'm sure they have the technology for it.

Destraex

It is combined. If you are in port in the open world. You don't even need to sail in the open world last time I looked. You could just join an instant battle from in port. It would take all the people looking for a game across any faction just like in WOWS and put them in a battle together with two sides.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It appears that particular feature is currently not available or removed. Guess they decided nobody used it.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

RedArgo

I think they are working on a WOWS type game called Legends that will be a lobby combat game.

Destraex

Got a link ARGO? I was not aware of that. It would explain a few things. If it was true it would split the population fairly badly. BUT may give them scope to make naval action even more hard core.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

WOW... there you go. Naval Action Legends.
"Naval Action Legends will be provided to all buyers of Naval Action (Caribbean Open world game) for free. The payment model for the game has not been defined yet. "
http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/20175-applications-for-closed-testing-of-na-legends-are-now-open/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

RedArgo

Thanks, I hadn't seen that link, just chatter in the forums.

For the OW game, unless a lot more players are coming, I feel like they may need to reduce the number of nations and the size of the map.  It is just so big. 

I tried the Unity 5 test bed for a little bit and didn't notice much different, but I wasn't looking too closely either.  The font is different.

I've got 800-900 hours in to the game according to steam and some pre-steam time, so what ever happens I've got my money out of it, but I do hope it rallies and has some staying power.  It is a fun game when it is at its best.

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on August 28, 2017, 05:27:22 AM
Quote from: Destraex on August 28, 2017, 02:42:30 AM
Having said all of this. Naval action does not have all of the poker machine style prompting that a game like world of warships does, nor does it have a large dev team. It's harder than most games to get into, because it has some really nice realistic sailing mechanics. The devs are trying to balance the grind and final mechanics before putting the final touches on the game for release. It's a good road though. They are, I feel making strides in the right direction. I am hoping that they implement proper pirate non nation mechanics to ensure pirates act like pirates. Rather than being the cool kids super nation that everybody defaults to when they are bad. Currently without any options to come.back through a pardon system. So yeah itw beta. You may be right in the end. It may be too niche to survive. But its the best damned sailing game I have ever played and I enjoy it. I will continue to play it on and off until release. Will see what happens after that. Will prolly want to play this and star citizen.

Why not just concentrate on battles?  No open world pirate stuff?  No levelling.  No grinding.  Just one fleet vs another fleet in limited combat like when it started.

The smaller battles are good.  I wish it was easier to repair damage and such things and that things began to ramp up in expense at the Frigate level so that pirate battles and other smaller fights would be more interesting and in the below-40 guns range as was historically the case with pirates.

Destraex

I can't be sure because I have not played much with the latest patch. But I believe they made it much harder to achieve ships larger than frigates by requiring combat or admiralty marks gained in specific battles. So crafters need these to build ships. Those crafters which do not actually fight will be reliant on fighters to go and get them combat or admiralty marks in battle. Thus making the hours required to build a large ship even harder. Also making the large ships very valuable. Only brought out on occasions?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

mikeck

You do need marks to get permits to build bigger ships. BUT, you can purchase them (usually for or oak) or cap them. For the latter, you need the fleet perk.

I don't have any permits and have a live oak Endymion, live oak Essex, Oak St Pavel (2nd rate), fir Bellona (3rd rate) and a fir Agamemnon. So yes, 1st-4th rate ships made of other than oak or fur are rare, if you like sailing them, it's easy to get one
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson