Main Menu

Lords of Waterdeep

Started by DennisS, September 02, 2017, 06:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DennisS

...is now on Steam, for about 11$. Two expansions are also available.

This is our families go-to board game on weekends. D&D fantasy setting, with excellent gameplay mechanics.

The PC version can be played online, or offline, with 1-6 players for each. Highly recommended.

Boggit

It looks quite different. What sells you on it?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

DennisS

Quote from: Boggit on September 02, 2017, 06:21:11 PM
It looks quite different. What sells you on it?

Both expansions are available, and the gameplay is IDENTICAL to the board game.

I played my first full game, and got sixth place out of six. These guys are good!

JasonPratt

I've seen people on Steam complaining about the UI, tho.

I've already got it for the iPhone -- though never played it. Playdek earned a lot of good will from me, for Twilight Struggle (a nearly flawless adapation, at least on PC?) and Agricola (on the iOS, which I'd like to see ported to PC).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Moreb

I played this quite a bit on an apple product. I remember it being a fun eurogame with a D&D backdrop. The game play is not dependent on D&D at all and that LoW uses that system as artistic flavor only, albeit very well. The same game (collecting cubes) could have been tied to any number of settings.

It is however a solid title and the digital version was hard as hell. The A.I. has sound strategy and will punish unwise moves.

Worth 11 Krackel bars? Maybe.
When dongles fly? - mirth

DennisS

Quote from: Moreb on September 04, 2017, 08:35:20 PM
I played this quite a bit on an apple product. I remember it being a fun eurogame with a D&D backdrop. The game play is not dependent on D&D at all and that LoW uses that system as artistic flavor only, albeit very well. The same game (collecting cubes) could have been tied to any number of settings.

It is however a solid title and the digital version was hard as hell. The A.I. has sound strategy and will punish unwise moves.

Worth 11 Krackel bars? Maybe.

I got my ass handed to me again, twice in two games. Well...third place out of six, but I expected to do better.

Moreb

Quote from: DennisS on September 06, 2017, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: Moreb on September 04, 2017, 08:35:20 PM
I played this quite a bit on an apple product. I remember it being a fun eurogame with a D&D backdrop. The game play is not dependent on D&D at all and that LoW uses that system as artistic flavor only, albeit very well. The same game (collecting cubes) could have been tied to any number of settings.

It is however a solid title and the digital version was hard as hell. The A.I. has sound strategy and will punish unwise moves.

Worth 11 Krackel bars? Maybe.

I got my ass handed to me again, twice in two games. Well...third place out of six, but I expected to do better.

They actually toned down the A.I. some time ago because people complained about the difficulty. You need a good draw to win. Maybe so much so the it may seem like a punishing RNG. I found taking stones from enemy players a worthwhile endeavor at times.
When dongles fly? - mirth

DennisS

Quote from: Moreb on September 06, 2017, 07:27:24 PM
Quote from: DennisS on September 06, 2017, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: Moreb on September 04, 2017, 08:35:20 PM
I played this quite a bit on an apple product. I remember it being a fun eurogame with a D&D backdrop. The game play is not dependent on D&D at all and that LoW uses that system as artistic flavor only, albeit very well. The same game (collecting cubes) could have been tied to any number of settings.

It is however a solid title and the digital version was hard as hell. The A.I. has sound strategy and will punish unwise moves.

Worth 11 Krackel bars? Maybe.

If you want a difficult board to pc conversion, play Elder Sign. Haven't won yet, even once, in more than 20 tries.
I got my ass handed to me again, twice in two games. Well...third place out of six, but I expected to do better.

They actually toned down the A.I. some time ago because people complained about the difficulty. You need a good draw to win. Maybe so much so the it may seem like a punishing RNG. I found taking stones from enemy players a worthwhile endeavor at times.

Moreb

QuoteIf you want a difficult board to pc conversion, play Elder Sign.

That does look good. At $3.99, not much of a risk.
When dongles fly? - mirth